Versys finally catching on in the US?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Versys finally catching on in the US??

I ride with a very 'swift' group here in SoCal and have been for the last 3 years with my Versys.

First couple of years, a few of the group would come over and kick the tires, but no real interest. This year I've had half a dozen of my fellow riders come over, ask to swap bikes (all came back very impressed). 3 that I know of are looking to purchase (hooked one guy up with a brand new red one in WA for a real steal $5,300.00).

Many of my fellow riders are 'well heeled', i.e. can and do ride Ducati's, BMW's, racing Honda's, Yamaha's etc, money is no object to a large extent. But they are going to plonk money down on a V.

Obviously the liter and bigger bikes leave me in the dust on the straight aways, but now that my riding skills have improved, I catch them in the twisties on my little 650.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:40 PM

its the impression I get too. They Went through a mid term dip now seem to be on the radar more lately. Word of mouth rather than Kawaski's marketing IMO. Plus when whupping supposedly better/expensive bikes helps interest/take seriously too!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 PM

Look at the growth of this forum in the last couple of years...I think (and hope!) a serious following is coming...

alvis

By the way, How's the sun!?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvis View Post
Look at the growth of this forum in the last couple of years...I think (and hope!) a serious following is coming...
i hope not. different is good. if i wanted dime-a-dozen, i'd have gotten a wee.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 AM

My buddy on his 998 isn't a convert but he respects the V in the tighter corners.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
I'm with ya there. But 90% of the bikes seen on the road, around my area anyway, can fall pretty much into two catagories. "Rocket" or "cruiser". I think we & other similar bikes will always stand out a little just for that reason.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 AM

I have had a lot of different motorcycles. Z-1, Harleys, Gold Wing... I have had some orthopedic problems and no longer take long trips, I mostly ride around town. Also, With my knee replacement, I can't set to low to the ground. I set on a V and it felt good so I payed cash, 7/08. I love this bike more every time I ride it.
It's great to have outgrown the need to say mine is bigger or cost more. This bike is perfect for an old guy who loves to ride.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 AM

Like many of you, I had many bikes in the past.

Versys is one of my favorite. Around town, in the canyon; it does what I want beautifully!!!

Most importantly, around my area, I am the only one that got one... Kind of strange, I live in Los Angeles... I have only seen a few other Versys but too often!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
Yes, different is great...That's why I bought this bike. I just really want to see a strong base so we have a good supply of accessories and parts going forward...no plans to sell for a long time.

alvis
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Versys/ Whats that?

Greetings, Yesterday I went to my BMW club monthly lunch. I parked my 2008 Versys just outside the front door. The place was full not only with the BMW group but lots of Harley riders as well.
Harley riders, " Thats a motorcycle ? Never seen anything like that before "
Gold Wing riders, " What is that thing ? "
BMW riders, " Hmmmmmm, looks interesting "
In general, " must be something brand new "
So very soon I'll take my wife's hair dryer and peel off the Versys and Kawasaki badges, and add more mystery to the strange red bike. Angus.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
So very soon I'll take my wife's hair dryer and peel off the Versys and Kawasaki badges, and add more mystery to the strange red bike.
Did that awhile back...a harley rider at work walked up...

..."is that a ducati?" fun ;<)

alvis
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvis View Post
Did that awhile back...a harley rider at work walked up...

..."is that a ducati?" fun ;<)

alvis
I get Buell most, BMW next, never asked if it was a Duc. Reason I suspect is here in the Ozarks, we don't have many of those exotics! When they read the Kawasaki on the tank, they just scratch their heads and say nice bike.

My Album:
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 AM

what is it?

Since I took off the stickers on my '09 blue V, I am often asked if it's a BMW.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 AM

I think it's a great bike, but the sales seem to be slow. Considering it got Motorcycle of the year, that's a little troubling. However, the demographic among buyers seems to be all over the place: Harley guys, adventure touring folks, first time riders, and most of all, those of us who can only own one motorcycle. I truly and sincerely hope that this segment is catching on in the US. If Kawasaki continues to improve upon the Versys every 2 years as they seem to be doing, just think what the Versys will be in 4 more years!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Garage
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers making up almost all of the market. I am supprised there are not a lot more choices, like the Versys, in the middle. But the thing I really don't understand is why cruisers, and in particular HD's are so popular. I've ridden HDs several times and do not see the appeal - they vibrate a lot worse than the Versys, only rev to 5K, make me feel every bump in my spine, cause me to have a death grip on the bars at highway speeds so as not to be blown off the back, are not that fun to ride in the corners and cost a fortune. OK they do look good - but does everyone buy bikes soley one the way they look?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers making up almost all of the market. ... OK they do look good - but does everyone buy bikes soley one the way they look?
Sadly, yes they do. Too many Americans view a motorcycle as a toy or a status symbol over fun and practical transportation. Same deal with the mentality that bigger displacement is better... 650cc is the largest bike I've ever owned, and I still have a lot of fun. Does one need a liter or more?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 AM

I guess it all comes down to personal choice and ones own definition of what individuality really means.
I ride mostly (98% of the time) by my self.
That's what I love about Motorcycles....It's solitude amongst the multitudes.
Running down the road at 70 mph; just me and the road.
The Versys my only companion.
I don't care about what anyone else thinks of my ride.
I need no ones approval to enjoy the simple pleasure of being one with the road.
Freedom! That's why I ride.
and my Versys...My gloriously mean green alien machine fills the need to perfection.

She eats up the long highway miles with comfort and ease and makes every twisty a joy.
and at a price that is anything but exclusive.
What more could you ask for...what more could you need.
"Let the good times roll" indeed.
Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
+1. That pretty much sums it up right there, at least for me. The V puts a smile on my face everytime I ride. It'd just be nice to see more of them on the street.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I guess it all comes down to personal choice and ones own definition of what individuality really means.
I ride mostly (98% of the time) by my self.
That's what I love about Motorcycles....It's solitude amongst the multitudes.
Running down the road at 70 mph; just me and the road.
The Versys my only companion.
I need no ones approval to enjoy the simple pleasure of being one with the road.
Freedom! That's why I ride.
and my Versys...My gloriously mean green alien machine fills the need to perfection.

She eats up the long highway miles with comfort and ease and makes every twisty a joy.
and at a price that is anything but exclusive.
What more could you ask for...what more could you need.
"Let the good times roll" indeed.
Peace.
Well said
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers..... But the thing I really don't understand is why cruisers, and in particular HD's are so popular.

I think it’s the lure of being a bad-ass, rebel, individual. To me, most HD riders are bunch of store bought cowboys of the modern era. That's great if you want to go into a bar, and think you are some kind of some **** while you really look like a fat smoked out bum.
I would think most folks on this post look at the one user’s trip to South American with envy, and think "you know, I can still feed my family and have a little fun if I choose a reasonable bike." They look at what they can pack and where they can go instead of "Oh damn, my cowhide and chrome is getting wet!"
YES, this is my diatribe, so I will also add this:
IMHO Harley had a great nitch. They cornered the "bad-ass" market. But have you noticed the chopper shows are getting less popular? It's becoming old hat. Why can’t Harley progress? Build an Italian style twin, Develop kick-ass racing technology, Anti-lock, traction control ECT. I would dearly love to support a us worker! But IMHO Ducati just built the worlds best bike with the Mulitstrata. Harley’s sales are down 40% I hear. I imagine a lot of that has to do with the economy, however, how many times can you repaint a 1200 sportster?
Jumping down from soapbox….sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode