Windshield Questions.....again - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Questions.....again

First, is the Powerbronze and the tall windsrceen offered by Ermax(Frogg Spec.) one and the same? Measurements seem very similar. And ,second, I'm 'bout 5'9" 165lbs. ... would the Givi 17" or this Pwr bronze/ ermax 15" be a better solution. I've pretty much whittled it down to these two. TIA, FG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Man i was a previous Vstrom rider with a Givi screen and loved it. So when i got my versys i bought the Givi screen for it immediately and have been very disappointed in the wind buffeting, i have a Shoei RF1000 with custom ear buds. So after 4 months i bought a Cal Sci Large and absolutely love it. I am 5'9" 165lbs as well and it fits perfectly. I will sell you my Givi if you want to try it, but i would suggest the Cal Sci Large.

Redeemed by the Grace of God
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM

I bought an Ermax and the buffetting and turbulence is woeful. I went back to the MRA Vario screen, best all rounder. I'm 5'10 with an xr1000 helmet

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks TT, funny I have shoei rf900 and a multitec and the latter especially is a bear in the stock buffet/hurricane. I'll check out the cal/sci. fg
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM

I have the tall cal sci, mikes shield, several homemade sheilds, and the laminar lip which I have tried on most all the shields.

I am also using the adjustable bracket, can't think of the name right now.

If you go to the cal sci site, my bike is the one with the 11 inch tall shield. He made it especially because I wanted a really tall one.

I have drilled different holes, moved the shields up and down in and out, tilted in and out and just about every position you can think of.

The bottom line is, on this bike because of the size limits you can use because of the mirrors and handlebars, you are going to get buffeting and noise from all of the shields at some time or another.

I find the adjustable bracket helps because I can tilt back and forth and overcome some wind conditions that change with which direction I am going and how fast I want to go.

You will not find one shield which will give you that magic quiet spot at all times, it does not exist. Sometimes you will love the shield you have , and other times you will hate it.

I switch back and forth between all my shields, and I cannot say one is markedly better than another. Some days I like one, and before I get back home, I am unhappy with it and try another only to not like it any better.

I have found I cannot be satisfied all the time, there are times when I just have to accept the wind and be ok with it.

If I had to pick one shield which hits the middle of the road for all conditions, and also is good to look through distortion free, it would be the tall calsci.

I find my self going back to it most often.

The versys just will not let you use a big barn door shield.

Some of the combos I have tried have been helped with the addition of the laminar lip, but it looks like heck, and you can't look through it.

After saying all that, I would say get the cal sci.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Fratedog, I have the Ermax High Protection grey screen. They only make two styles for the Versys, High Protection and OE Style, both in a variety of colors including the bronze. I'm 5' 10" tall and the Ermax was like night and day to the stock shield. It's only about 3" taller but the upward scoop along the top edge forces the wind up and over. It was a very affordable and attrative solution to the rather inadequate stock shield.

Check this link for photos and pricing from Frog Specialties: http://www.frogspecialties.com/index.php?categoryid=26

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
I have drilled different holes, moved the shields up and down in and out, tilted in and out and just about every position you can think of....

I find the adjustable bracket helps because I can tilt back and forth and overcome some wind conditions that change with which direction I am going and how fast I want to go...

...Some days I like one, and before I get back home, I am unhappy with it and try another only to not like it any better...

I have found I cannot be satisfied all the time,...
Regards August
Perhaps if you took the Flaps control lever from a Cessna...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all....great intel except for the flap lever suggestion, unless it's connected to actual flaps. <BG> I've got a couple a screens for an 1150 r and while one is great for high speed i don't like it in the tight stuff. I fully understand that there is no perfect allarounder, just need a little help for when you have to do 65ish for a bit before the next backroad smilefest cheers, fg
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM

I just read this weekend in one of my many how-to-ride books that riding without a windscreen can actually be quieter than riding with one. This was my discovery when I first got the Versys so I now ride with no windscreen at all. No buffeting and it is noticeably quieter ( at least to me, YMMV ). FWIW, I am 6'1" ( and fairly large ) so I'm sitting pretty high on the bike, the windshield required to cover me would be as large as a sheet of plywood

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM

I'm still pretty new on mine, but it doesn't seem bad. Especially at freeway speeds to 80-90, I just lean forward and I get smooth air.

I would like to try the ermax one though. Most of the others are just way too big, would not have a fugly thing like that on mine.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM

CJ, I agree on the issue of windshield size. On the Versys, a sport touring model, a really large screen ruins the aesthetic lines of the bike and looks pretty fugly in my opinion too. If someone wants more protection then get a Goldwing or a full touring bike. Besides, most people agree that you're really meant to look over the screen and not through it mainly for safety reasons. It's tough to be looking through a screen while it's raining especially if you have proper eye protection to look through as well. Imagine driving a car in the rain with no wipers. Try the High Protection Ermax, looks great and gives you just enough extra protection for only $95.00.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
I just read this weekend in one of my many how-to-ride books that riding without a windscreen can actually be quieter than riding with one. This was my discovery when I first got the Versys so I now ride with no windscreen at all. No buffeting and it is noticeably quieter ( at least to me, YMMV ). FWIW, I am 6'1" ( and fairly large ) so I'm sitting pretty high on the bike, the windshield required to cover me would be as large as a sheet of plywood
I tried that no windshield thing, and it is somewhat quieter, but after catching a few dozen bugs on my faceshield , and Lord knows how many on my jacket, I decided some noise is far better than wearing bug goo all day, and having to wash my jacket after every ride.

Dried bug guts are very hard to get out of clothing, and they will ruin most face shields after a couple of rides.

August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 PM

Or you can pretend its a Speed Triple or Monster and yank the screen all together. How many of those bikes do you see with a giant screen on them?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode