Got pulled over this morning... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Got pulled over this morning...

...and the bike officer didn't even comment on my awesome looking V

Suxor, was just down the offramp and riding to join the freeway traffic which is 0-5kmh bumper to bumper traffic in the mornings. Saw a gap opening up and no other bikes coming down the middle (cause lane splitting is legal here), so as I start crossing over I cross the solid line that denotes the extended shoulder of the join and... WEW-WEW! ... damn

Officer was strict but nice about it, asked me if I had R1000 to waste cause that's what I'll get fined if he sees me doing it again, I said no and sorry.

Couldn't argue the fact cause I was wrong, but that said, it's still safer to take the gap right there if it opens up, cause 40 meters on where the offramp officially joins the freeway the cars start wedging for position, not a nice place to join the traffic AND find the gap to jump to the middle without obstructing another bike that is already cruising through. I didn't tell the officer that though, meh, I think I would have talked myself into a fine right there.

I was wrong, he was right and surprisingly pleasant about it, nice, doesn't happen that often.

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:38 AM

I can't believe Up here in Jhb they don't pay much attention to the bikes in the week, on the weekend on the other hand they pick up quite a few superbikes.

Having said that I will propably get pulled over this afternoon

(did you at least take off your lid to talk to him.... )

Last edited by Hammer; 02-11-2010 at 04:40 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
(did you at least take off your lid to talk to him.... )
ah yes... uh no. heh , means I was prolly a bit rude huh? I am ashamed.

98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM

About taking off your lid...good idea. My neighbor who's a cop and other cops I know all say one thing in common when it comes to traffic stops: they don't want any surprises. I've been stopped on a bike a few times (no tickets yet, touch wood) and I've done much the same thing each time. I take off my helmet and wait for LEO to approach me. I answer his questions honestly, try to remain pleasant, and don't do what he doesn't request. If he asks for my license and registration, I say, "I need to get off the bike to get at them. Is that OK?" When I need to reach into a pocket or a pannier, I say, "I need to reach into my pants pocket to get out my wallet. Is that OK?" By taking this approach, I show LEO that I understand his concern for his own safety.

You don't control the situation in a traffic stop, but you can reduce the stress level LEO is feeling. Assuming you weren't doing something ridiculous to get pulled over, this might be just enough to get you off with a warning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Bob

good point Bones, specially if you're riding atgatt, said mister officer has no idea if you are a shifty looking bugger hiding under all that padding who might just do something stupid. And about being polite, absolutely, you can talk yourself into a getting a ticket very easily if you gonna be abrasive

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Also, if you are pulled over in a car, sit there eyes forward with your hands in the air or on top of the wheel where the cop can see them. Put him at ease, remember, he has a gun.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Like what Blipco said "He has a gun". Reminds me something out of Magnum Force.
Can't blame the man, we live in a dangerous world. I can relate to that as seen cab drivers in the US carry pistols in the dash board. They say "Bro, you can't be too careful here".

Besides that, got stopped by a traffic cop last month. Took off my helmet and about to take out my driving license. He said, It's okay, just stop you to see your bike.
I was like er..okay . Chatted a while and exchanged views on his police ST1300.
We're human. We all have our good and bad days.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
He said, It's okay, just stop you to see your bike.
clearly a man with good taste

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM

and Good rides:, Bob. Amen to that.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode