150 yards of ice covered roads - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
150 yards of ice covered roads

That's all that kept me from being able to ride the V today.

The crazy low temps have left Denver, and the main streets are clear and dry, but my street still has a nice coat of snowpack/frozen ice. I was tempted to ride up the sidewalks today, since the temp was in the high 40s.

Sooooo, how hard is it to control a 400+ pound motorcycle on a small stretch of frozen road

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
100 yards of black ice almost stamped me paid once.
Marginal weather can be tempting or expensive.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:23 PM

I don't know but I literally just caught myself checking the weather and thinking "hey, it'll be above freezing by 5pm tomorrow, maybe I'll take the bike in"

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM

150 yards? Why not just push it?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
150 yards? Why not just push it?
I'd probably need to put a set of crampons on my boots to keep me from slipping and sliding while pushing a 400+ pound motorcycle

I think I'll wait for another day or two. The street was pretty slushy by nightfall this evening. It should be clear my tomorrow afternoon.

'09 Versys
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I found myself on this Veterans day 2012.

The view was worth it, even though I was on a 900 lb bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I'd probably need to put a set of crampons on my boots to keep me from slipping and sliding while pushing a 400+ pound motorcycle
Oh stop. Don't be a drama queen. Once the bikes rolling you just walk along next to it with minimal effort.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh stop. Don't be a drama queen. Once the bikes rolling you just walk along next to it with minimal effort.
Yup - till your foot slides, and you become the "welcoming mat" for it...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:28 PM

Just slide it sideways like those mud-bikers and then at the precise moment do a high-side when your back tire catches grip. It's really easier than it sounds.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Problem solved. Street ice and snow all melted yesterday

'09 Versys
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:31 PM

I found out today. As I was driving at about 60 mph on Ohio Route seven I hit a patch of black ice on a bridge. I was okay for about 20 yards and then the bike went down and me with it. We both slid approximately 200 to 300 yards. Not a fun situation. Im a bit bruised up, the V is worse. Shifter, left mirror, left upper fairing, stator cover all dead. First time in 41 years of riding that I laid one down based solely on my own stupidity.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Glad you're OK. BUT Black Ice will get you every time

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Just slide it sideways like those mud-bikers and then at the precise moment do a high-side when your back tire catches grip. It's really easier than it sounds.
Unless you're just cruising down the road as opposed to setting up for it.
Or on the wrong side of fifty and are not that experienced in the above technique.

Glad Galik is in shape to discuss the mishap & will continue the adventure.
Gear does it's job again????
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:40 PM

Wow. Glad you're ok.

Gotta say, I was thinking about gearing up for some cold weather rides (it got into the 30's down here in FLA) but after reading about these misadventures I think I'll pass.

We have good riding weather 10+ months a year. I can miss a few days here and there.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Wow. Glad you're ok.

Gotta say, I was thinking about gearing up for some cold weather rides (it got into the 30's down here in FLA) but after reading about these misadventures I think I'll pass.

We have good riding weather 10+ months a year. I can miss a few days here and there.
Yep, July and August are brutal in Florida.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post

Glad Galik is in shape to discuss the mishap & will continue the adventure.
Gear does it's job again????
Full gear. Left some bits and pieces of jacket and glove on the road. Kept my skin intact.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailk View Post
Full gear. Left some bits and pieces of jacket and glove on the road. Kept my skin intact.
Better the gloves and jacket then YOU. After all you BUY clothing Skin ya gotta grow.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I see you are from Florida and obviously have little experience with trying to walk/push on ice

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
I see you are from Florida and obviously have little experience with trying to walk/push on ice
I grew up in NY. Plenty of ice ... and attitude.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

We were just notified by the city we are in that they are not going to plow in neighborhoods that get snowfall under 2", to cut down costs

That's good and all, but my section of neighborhood lies in perpetual shade in the winter due to surrounding trees and hills, so when it's cold enough I could have ice or compacted snow in front of the house indefinitely. Which would put me in the same situation where the initial short trip out of the neighborhood would be the tough part when everything else is dry and ridable.

And that should also mean that I shouldn't take responsibility for removing snow from our sidewalk for anything under 2" either!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode