Cycle Strobes that Alternate like an Airplane? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cycle Strobes that Alternate like an Airplane?

Anyone seen white strobe for a motorcycle that alternate back and forth from the left to the right every 2-3 seconds?
I saw a Sport Bike a couple weeks ago that was coming down the freeway towards me. He had a white strobe to each side of his forks that alternated between the two, once every 2-3 seconds like an airplane wingtip strobe. It really caught my eye from at least a mile away. Blink(Left)...2 seconds....Blink(Right).....2 seconds....Blink(Left)....etc. Bright, small(couldn't pinpoint exactly on Black sportbike).
The only thing I found was this visual horn(says their street legal)...but they're chrome and blink twice on each side http://www.cyclestrobe.com/index.htm . Check out the Video. Not made for Sport bikes really. All the flashing LED's, strobes and flashing units I've researched online seem to flash multiple times rapidly like emergency vehicles, then alternate. Don't want that. Just single flash like aircraft running lights.
Anyone seen something like this for sport bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Willie ~ I don't know how strict the enforcement may be in Katy, TX for light violations, but these strobes are not street legal under Federal DOT laws, which have been adopted by all States so they can continue to qualify for the Federal grant money they use for highway construction and maintenance.

Like other things many of us do to our bikes, (deleting the required rear reflector, partially obscuring the license plate under the tail, lack of license plate light, etc.), each of us has to decide whether compliance with the law to reduce the chance of traffic stops is more important than the personal choice of style we make.

A clue that manufacturer is trying to skirt the law is naming the device a "visual horn", because they know that technically the use of strobe lighting is controlled by Fed law!

Good luck with your choice!
Don

"Living the Dream... One Day at a Time"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

dsmack,
I understand about the laws. "Strobes" are forbidden since they cause people to confuse passenger vehicles with EMERGENCY vehicles and that's the right thing to do. I did notice these things blinked two or three times on each side before alternating like an emergency vehicle.
That's the exact reason I'm look for a flashing strobe that flashes slowly, ONCE before alternating to the opposite side every 2-3 seconds, like a running light designator - instead of quickly, like an emergency vehicle. Not looking to break the law, I want to get noticed by the idiots who change lanes in their cagers when not paying attention to keep them from killing me and leaving my family without a father and husband.....Staying safe is my biggest priority when riding, not bling.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM

spyware

The website cyclestrobe.com has embedded spyware.(Is that the correct term?) .McAfee could not remove it.Now I gotta try to remove it,and I am no computer whiz. Cheers...............Lefty.

Last edited by haw paw; 07-08-2008 at 07:55 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Their site says they are street legal? Geared towards HD with price to match!!! 5$ change from 5 large ones!!!

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 PM

As others have said, any alternating lighting is illegal. Have you considered a headlight modulator? they are legal in all states and can really catch people's eyes. I have one on my V (had it on my last V - as in Vulcan - as well). Since putting it on I haven't had anyone pull out in front of me except once when I stupidly turned it off. Signal Dynamics makes a great one.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 PM

I have a set that I got on ebay....

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Question

Anyone know if these brake light modulators are legal? They pulse when you're stopped.

Like these: http://www.signaldynamics.com/lighting_control.htm
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM

To my knowledge, anything that creates a flashing red light is not legal. I taught the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course (BRC) in Maryland and that one of our talking points. Not sure about other states, but I would guess they are not legal.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

hacktracker,
"Most states drivers handbooks recommend that you flash your brakes when slowing or stopping. The BackOFF-MC automatically facilitates compliance and enhances safety."
This produces 3 short bursts followed by a long 3.5 second steady light. That's what I do every time I stop manually with my brake lever(usually flash about 5 or 6 times before steady braking), so I can't see how it could hurt. It just automatically replicates what any defensive driver does manually.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:06 PM

I agree that the BackOFF is a good safety device. I have one on my Kawa Zephyr 750. Mine gives three flashes then goes to steady red. As such, it does replicate the normal use of a brake and probably won't call undue attention to the bike for having an "illegal" modification.

I don't think the same can be said for the alternative forward-facing strobes... they call immediate attention to the bike (which is of course what the safety mided want for all the idiots driving around us). The problem is, it also calls the attention of law enforcement, as it is clearly an illegal modification. The headlight modulator is a pretty effective (and legal) alternative.

As a member of LE myself, I probably wouldn't take enforcement action on the strobes unless there were other problems as well, but would have to at least issue a warning and instructions to remove the devices... all extra hassle and expense for the owner.

Be safe out there!
Don

"Living the Dream... One Day at a Time"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM

I agree they increase your ability to be seen. I'm just not sure how legal they are.

I was on my bike the other day and a Harley pulled up next to me. It was about as loud a bike could be. Plus, he kept revving it to either draw attention to himself or keep it running; I'm not sure which. Then a member of LE pulled up behind us and I though, alright, this dude and his loud bike are getting a ticket. Nope, the office could not be bothered.

The moral of the story, it might be illegal. However, if LE doesn't care, why should you?

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Don. I can understand LE enforcing the law because that is what you guys do to maintain order and safety of the public. Too many variations and modifications of the laws and things get out of hand in short order.

hacktracker,
I don't think it's that LE doesn't care. The officer may have been a biker himself......or he understands why bikers do some of the things we do to help keep ourselves alive by getting noticed..(Louder exhausts, flashing lights, etc.). I'm sure every officer who has been on the streets for any amount of time has seen how easily carelessness can kill from visiting the scene of a motorcycle accident.

My brother-in-law is a Texas DPS Sargeant and he's mentioned how many moto accidents he's seen from careless fools on motos, BUT he also says that there are just as many or MORE distracted or nonattentive "cagers" who just flat don't look out for motorcycles because of their size. For this reason, many LE officers can sympathize on the side of the SAFE riders who just want to get that little bit of extra edge of protection.....and he says they can tell who they are just by looking at you...

On a conf. call Monday, one of my guys said he thought of me when he saw an older Toyota Tacoma ram a motorcycle from behind at a stop light Sunday night and said he didn't notice him. That's why we do what we do to get noticed.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM

I have used a tail light modulator for years...never a problem...

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode