Why are Adventure Bikes Popular? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why are Adventure Bikes Popular?

Deleted

Last edited by jmarleau; 05-19-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Cut And Pasted from:
oh, and here i am, thinking you're so smart and insightful.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Because oversized retired bankers want something big, expensive and comfy to show off their rugged individualism while they go to meet up with their GS crew at Starbucks to discuss the latest farkle they really don't need.

In all seriousness I really enjoyed reading this. I get it. I really do understand how nice it is to be on a big comfy seat up high secure in the knowledge that a gravel road or some single track poses no threat. However I feel like the vast majority are bought as fashion accessories. I ride with a 1200GS guy from time to time and have found that my little versys kicks ass everywhere except on long motorway hauls where I envy my buddys $500 seat. Sure the BMW is certainly luxurious but at what a cost! for the $4K I payed I'll keep the street biased versys. If I want to go offroad I'll take my XR.

On the other hand I really REALLY want to ride a KTM 1190 Adventure.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ah, cut and pasted answers my question. I was about to ask how long Wisconsin has been part of New Brunswick.

Nice bit of writing regardless.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Because oversized retired bankers want something big, expensive and comfy to show off their rugged individualism
you sir just described 80%+ of HARLEY owners......
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Ahhh ha ha ha ha I prefer to call them leather queens. lol
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Ahhh ha ha ha ha I prefer to call them leather queens. lol
oh we call them rugged individuals with the thickest of sarcasm as they fart by leaving random nuts and bolts along with a dribble of "awesomeness"(oil) behind them

Last edited by silviefox; 11-13-2014 at 08:59 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The reason that you see more "adventure" bikes is that the manufacturers are building them. Go back 20 years ago and virtually none of them were available. Can't buy them if they don't make them.

A bit simplistic, I know. Like "which came first, the chicken or the egg".

But hey - think about ten years ago. What was available? Basically cruisers, touring bikes, and crotch rockets. BMW had some "adventure" bikes, but their share of the market was dismal as compared to the sales of other types of bikes.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM

Seems simple. So-called "adv" style bikes cover all the bases. Comfortable, sporty, light(ish), travel-worthy. Not pigeon-holed into one of the sport/cruise/tour molds.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 AM

now we need a thread about what really qualifies as an adventure bike.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Garage
Yesterday I sat on the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC, Tiger 800 XC, BMW F800GS, R1200GS, Suzuki Vstrom 1000, and the 2014 Versys. All of those bikes are physically huge! The Versys just fits like a custom made glove. I 'want' an adventure touring bike with all the amenities, but the Versys just works. Granted, I don't use it much in the cooler months. The Voyager and the Concours get all the cold weather miles because they have the spare amps to power all the heated gear, and provide ample wind protection. I'm 5'11" with 33 inseam.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM

And they also look cool ....
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 PM

I buy/sell a few bikes each year. Usually something that needs work.

Having owned more than 70 motorcycles (not counting dirt bikes and ATVs).....

Newsflash: Many bikes get ridden 1,500 miles (or less) each year. This phenomenon is not restricted to Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:51 PM

This past summer KTM brought a truck load of new KTM's to a dealership in Portland and I was able to go one of the test rides riding a KTM 1190 Adventure. I start off by saying I love my Versys but wow what a bike that KTM is!!!! It had everything, (little tall though) style, handling, electronic goodies, and of course POWER! The best way I can describe it is picture yourself in a 1970 Chevelle SS454. With a twist of the throttle is was like driving a big block car from the 60's and 70's. I had to hold on for dear life! I don't know how people can ride a bike like that and stay under the speed limit?

It was the whole package, not just power but everything together, just a well crafted bike.

It's biggest flaw? The price of course, you definitely pay for the privilege to ride own one of these babies. That brings me back to my nice little 2014 Versys, a steal at less than half of the price of the KTM.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You betcha... There have been countless arguments on this forum between like minded members, simply because people seem to want to “pigeon hole” the broad spectrum of bikes into 2 to 3 categories.

I can't count the number of times when the word “adventure touring” was mentioned, the conversation suddenly moves to “fording 3 feet of water,” and “how one can be killed by a bike falling down a steep embankment, landing on top of you.” (?)

Sure, I see that and your point too. But, no where near the extent of riders of Harley Davidsons. A bike purely built to be shown and not ridden. Did you know the average Harley Davidson drives an average of 1500 miles per year in the USA?

GSs... most likely a lot more.

Closer to 100%

Well i have a Harley buddy and he likes nothing better than to ride all day. He hates to go out for less than a 300 mile ride. But he's from the U.K. and kinda nuts also.....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-13-2014 at 03:11 PM.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Most of the "adventure" riding I do could be done quite capably on a 1976 Yamaha DT 400. I know because I had one. I was small enough then that the bike would do close to 130km/hr with me and some gear, so I could ride it on the highway, around town, on gravel backroads, on trails, and it performed perfectly, and never once let me down. And it even had a comfortable seat and a rear rack on it. I regularly rode it 400 kms north to go fishing for 3 or 4 days at a time.

I'm "bigger" now than I was, so I like a bit more power. I travel a bit heavier, too, so I want some better storage capability. Hence the Versys - it fits my current needs perfectly. If I decide to bike down to Peru or something, I might look at a different bike.

Half the guys I know with the giant KTMs and Beemers could still do what they do with a 1976 Yamaha DT 400. But that doesn't play as well at Tim's on Friday cruise night.

Don't discount some of those Harley riders. I have a friend who regularly rides from Halifax to Southern Ontario on his Harley (I don't know what model, it's big) just to visit friends.
I also have another friend who put 250,000 km on his (again, I don't know Harleys, it's a big tourer model with a fairing and bags and a radio and for all I know air conditioning - and, believe it or not, actual mufflers) and even after several re-builds, eventually wore out the engine. I know the guy who worked on it, he was always amazed at what this bike had been through and survived. So he put in a new one, and away he went again. This guy tours all over North and South America with his girlfriend on the back. I keep telling him he should write a book.

Last edited by visitor zero; 11-13-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
on average?
I don't know of any scientific, proven numbers on this - only what I see.

And what I see is a lot of bikes with less than 3,000 miles and several years old. Everything from Gold Wings to Beemers to Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc.

Just recently (nearly) purchased a 2000 Honda Valkyrie with less than 10,000 miles. That averages less than 1,000 miles/year for a 15 year old motorcycle.

Here's the scenario:

Year 1:
Guy buys a bike. Rides it 1,500 miles the 1st year. He is now a biker.

Year 2: Other things take precedent. Like is hectic. The bike gets another 750 miles.

Year 3: Bike is a little hard to start and runs a little rough because the owner doesn't know about fuel stabilizer and battery tenders.

Year 4: Bike won't start. After some amount of trouble and the help of six friends, the bike starts but runs like crap. It sits there for the rest of the year because
a. owner lost interest

b. It's gonna cost $$$ to put bike on the road, and he's just not that interested in the 1st place.... and

c. The wife thinks that he doesn't need that damned motorcycle in the 1st place.

These are the sort of bikes that I buy - mostly metric motorcycles.

Last edited by kballowe; 11-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 PM

Now, to be clear - just because a guy rides 50,000 miles a year on his motorcycle - does not make him any more or any less of an enthusiast.

Some folks don't have the time or inclination or whatever to make that sort of mileage.

That (in itself) does not make them "posers"

I never understood the bashing of one brand or another - or their owners.

We like most everything with two wheels. At present time we own two Harleys, two Honda, a Yamaha, one Kawasaki, and a BMW.

I guess it's OK if someone wants to bash Suzuki, as we don't currently own one of those,

Last edited by kballowe; 11-13-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
I don't know of any scientific, proven numbers on this - only what I see.

And what I see is a lot of bikes with less than 3,000 miles and several years old. Everything from Gold Wings to Beemers to Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc.

Just recently (nearly) purchased a 2000 Honda Valkyrie with less than 10,000 miles. That averages less than 1,000 miles/year for a 15 year old motorcycle.

Here's the scenario:

Year 1:
Guy buys a bike. Rides it 1,500 miles the 1st year. He is now a biker.

Year 2: Other things take precedent. Like is hectic. The bike gets another 750 miles.

Year 3: Bike is a little hard to start and runs a little rough because the owner doesn't know about fuel stabilizer and battery tenders.

Year 4: Bike won't start. After some amount of trouble and the help of six friends, the bike starts but runs like crap. It sits there for the rest of the year because
a. owner lost interest

b. It's gonna cost $$$ to put bike on the road, and he's just not that interested in the 1st place.... and

c. The wife thinks that he doesn't need that damned motorcycle in the 1st place.

These are the sort of bikes that I buy - mostly metric motorcycles.
I like a lot of different kinds of bikes, too, I have nothing against anything with 2 wheels and an engine. As for the people who ride them, well, they come in all types.

That's EXACTLY what I do, done it for years. Bought, fixed, and "rode and sold" a lot of great bikes over the years, learned a lot, and made a few bucks along the way.

In 2008 I sat on my first Versys, it fit me so well that I made a point to keep my eye out for a good used one. Haven't yet run across a used one I would buy, the damn things hold their value too well, and they aren't exactly common.
I have a (growing) list of bikes I look out for, and keep a close eye on the market, just in case I come across one that can be advantageously purchased. Fortune favours the prepared...

In 2013 I bought a brand new 2012 Versys from a dealer at what I considered a pretty good price. First new bike I've bought since 1982. I don't ride much, and I take very good care of my bikes. I could probably sell it today for what I paid for it. Which is good business. I learned a long time ago that the first offer I receive that covers my costs and gives me $1 profit for a vehicle, I should seriously consider selling... They make bikes every day...

That's adventure enough for me...
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM

Personally, I think it's the "I could if I wanted to" mentality. the majority of the folks that buy adventure bikes will never take them on anything more than a dirt road. but the idea is that they could ride single tracks etc. if they wanted too. there's certainly an image component to it as well. frankly I think that most of the big adventure bike are to bloody heavy to be truly capable offroad machines, the the GS1200 and super tenere come to mind here. part of it is how the bikes are marketed here in the states. hell the versys really isn't an adventure bike, it's a sport tourer, in stock form anyhow. but you'll often still hear it marketed as an adventure bike. really I think the pool of people who actually belong on a adventure bike is pretty small. the majority of the people buying them should either be on a dial sport bike because they spend most of their time offroad or on a sport tourer like the versys because they spend most of their time on the street and just prefer the more upright riding position.

Last edited by frozenhawaiian; 11-13-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode