Hard luggage help needed. Givi E45's for the sides. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Hard luggage help needed. Givi E45's for the sides.

Need some help on hard luggage. Last season I bought soft luggage for the sides and already it has a hole in it. So now I知 looking at hard cases for my bike. I want the best bang for the buck in terms of size and quality. I looked at the Givi E21 and I find them smaller than my soft luggage. I looked at the V35 and found that my total would be $750. I then started looking at the Givi E45 series and my cost would be a more manageable $500. I do not care what the bags look like so as long as they are big enough and priced right. These bags would be used to bring groceries home and I知 planning a 1200 mile trip in the summer. So here are my questions.

Will the V be fine with 2 E45痴 as side cases or I知 I better off with 2 E36痴? (There is only a $3 difference between the bags.)
Will the V be too wide during turns? (It is against the law to lane split in Illinois so this should not be an issue.)
Does anyone have pictures of a V with Givi E45 on the side?
Is there a cheaper hard bag setup that I知 overlooking?

And finally. Does my part selection from twisted throttle look fine if the Givi E45 turns out to be the winner?

Givi E45NJ Givi E45NJ Junior Economy Monokey Luggage Case (ea) - 45 liters/case x 2 = $280.80
Givi PL447 Givi Tubular Sidecase Racks (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-'09) $170.10
Givi PLX447KIT Givi PLX447KIT fitting kit for PLX sideracks (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-'09) $24.30
Total $475.20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Need some help on hard luggage. Last season I bought soft luggage for the sides and already it has a hole in it. So now I知 looking at hard cases for my bike. I want the best bang for the buck in terms of size and quality. I looked at the Givi E21 and I find them smaller than my soft luggage. I looked at the V35 and found that my total would be $750. I then started looking at the Givi E45 series and my cost would be a more manageable $500. I do not care what the bags look like so as long as they are big enough and priced right. These bags would be used to bring groceries home and I知 planning a 1200 mile trip in the summer. So here are my questions.

Will the V be fine with 2 E45痴 as side cases or I知 I better off with 2 E36痴? (There is only a $3 difference between the bags.)
Will the V be too wide during turns? (It is against the law to lane split in Illinois so this should not be an issue.)
Does anyone have pictures of a V with Givi E45 on the side?
Is there a cheaper hard bag setup that I知 overlooking?

And finally. Does my part selection from twisted throttle look fine if the Givi E45 turns out to be the winner?

Givi E45NJ Givi E45NJ Junior Economy Monokey Luggage Case (ea) - 45 liters/case x 2 = $280.80
Givi PL447 Givi Tubular Sidecase Racks (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-'09) $170.10
Givi PLX447KIT Givi PLX447KIT fitting kit for PLX sideracks (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-'09) $24.30
Total $475.20

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Your parts selection is accurate, as you will need the PLX447 kit to fasten the upper rear mount of the side racks if you do not add the mount system for a top box.

Going with the E45's on each side will add about 2" more width than using the E36's would. 2 qty E36 overall width = 36". 2 qty E45 overall width = 38".

The following pics show luggage that I normally use on my V-Strom. The Versys is my wife's, and she likes using the smaller E21's, which are way too small in my opinion. I use the E45 as a top box and the E36's as side luggage. If I were to buy again, I would go with E45's as side luggage on my V-Strom.

Picture of 2 qty E36 bags;

Overhead picture of 2 qty E36 bags;

Picture of 1 qty E45 on left and 1 qty E36 on right;

Overhead picture of 1 qty E45 on left and 1 qty E36 on right;

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you E-nigma! Just the pictures I was looking for. I like the wider look due to the increase in size thus the increased probability of someone seeing you. I love what you did by adding the 4 tie down loops to the E36 case top. Should be able to securely attach a large duffle bag using a cargo net without adding a top case mount. Are you able to supply a link where I can purchase the loops and a picture of the install?
Other than looks what would be the advantage of using the more popular (and more expensive) Givi V35 vs the E45?

Last edited by cdmoore74; 02-06-2010 at 07:57 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 AM

Bungie Buddies;
http://sampson-sporttouring.com/misc.html#bungie

The Givi "PLX" rack system and bags will look a little cleaner because they follow the contours of the bike. However, once you buy the "PLX" luggage, you are stuck with them. What happens when you buy another bike that only has the "PL" type rack available? The "PL" rack and bag design fits many more bikes, making them more desirable IMO.

The other drawback to the "PLX" bags is their inefficient use of space due to the contoured interior.

Some more pictures of my PL447 rack;

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5227

Last edited by E-nigma; 02-06-2010 at 08:38 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM

I have a question. Where are you finding the E45's for $140 a piece? I very much like this idea, but I can't find them that cheap.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cabrown; 02-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

"The E45NJ Junior Economy Monokey luggage case is similar to the E45N, but lacks reflectors, stickers, trim panels, and internal retention straps. Due to the lack of internal retention straps, this case is not recommended for use as a sidecase." $140.40

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/1876/69/

"The classic style of the E45 Elegant case includes a durable finish, making it a great choice for all types of bikes -- whether sport, cruiser, dual-sport, or standard. With a 45 liter luggage capacity, this case is an excellent topcase choice -- especially when completed with the E36 sidecases." $166.50

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/32/69/

I'm going with the cheaper option. I do not care about the retention system and the reflectors.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Cool set up I've been wanting side cases but gave up becuse of the price, I like the size
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Pictures ARE worth 1000 words. Like the way E36 looks. Big enough, but not too big. Thanks e-nigma. Question -- I have the SW-Motech alu-rack with E460 topcase. Would the PL side racks work? How about the PLX side racks? Any special mounting bracket needed?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Nice thread and it's timely too, I was thinking of going all PLX with the V35 bags in the Spring but now I'm not sure. The looks of the E36/E45 are pretty decent and the price is much more reasonable. Thanks for the pictures.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
Question -- I have the SW-Motech alu-rack with E460 topcase. Would the PL side racks work? How about the PLX side racks? Any special mounting bracket needed?
Looking at the design, I'm pretty sure you will NOT be able to fit either Givi PL447 or PLX447 side-racks if you also want to use the SW-Motech alu-rack toprack.

Look at the bracketry and upper mount points that are at the back edge of the seat above the tail-light for each brand. They sure look like they would interfere with each other.

Upper rear mount point for Givi PL447 side-rack (same as mount point for PLX447);

SW-Motech Alu-Rack Top-Rack;

Ask twistedthrottle.com for a definitive answer;
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/contact

Obviously, you could instead go with the SW-Motech Side-Rack system set-up for either Givi "PL" or "PLX" type luggage;

Here is the rack appropriate for "PL" type luggage;
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3696/652/
(be sure to get the adapters listed for Givi on the pull-down screen, and decide if you want the locking adapters as well)

or, the variant for PLX luggage;
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3697/652/
(again, decide if you want locking adapters, which are optional)

Last edited by E-nigma; 02-09-2010 at 06:39 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 AM

I like the looks of the E36 and E45, but I have the E52 top case and V35 side cases. One of the big things for me was being able to add running, brake and turn signals to all of the cases. I like to be seen!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Does it effect the passanger foot pegs?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 AM

Nope

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode