Pirelli Angel ST down to wires. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pirelli Angel ST down to wires.

I posted this earlier today on the Facebook Versys group.

Note: I fully understand the danger of this and I took the risk. I would like to share the experience.

Pirelli Angel ST with 9,500 miles. 2,000 miles is mine and 7,500 from previous owner.

I was 310 miles from home when I noticed black rubber turning grey and an inch of hairline wire in the middle of the tire. Getting another tire wasn't an option yesterday. I set the PSI to 36 and headed home. 200 miles out of 310 later, hairline wire became full blown visible. I kept speed between 55MPH - 65MPH. Temperature at 37F.

I don't have a picture after the entire travel. I rode over poop and I put the cover on without knowing...

80 miles of 310

200 miles of 310
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:11 PM

Makes my gut tighten when I see anyone riding a tire in that shape. Ya only got two and if one blows you have big problems. I'd rather "Give" a few miles rubber away and change before I am in deep straits than risk it.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Makes my gut tighten when I see anyone riding a tire in that shape. Ya only got two and if one blows you have big problems. I'd rather "Give" a few miles rubber away and change before I am in deep straits than risk it.
I agree with you.

I wanted to do my trip on the V before I winterized it this week and I took the risk. I shouldn't have, but I did. I didn't like doing it, but it happened.

Lesson learned. I really underestimated the life left on it. It was honestly due 2,000 miles ago.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
glad you made it safe, carefull were you post that xD people will tear you up on pnw riders for those huge chicken strips
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
glad you made it safe, carefull were you post that xD people will tear you up on pnw riders for those huge chicken strips
Does it count that I've only had it for 2,000 out of 9,500 miles on that chicken strips? And I rather not go far with the tire since I don't have full history of it.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiDinh View Post
... I kept speed between 55MPH - 65MPH.
Good idea, you can never be too careful.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
those chicken strips are so big they could be sold at the Colonel's...
I've seen similar bare patches on fellow rider's bikes with about as much distance from home as you..and in the middle of nowhere...you're safe until the steel threads actually start to shred...watch for the low tread marks next time and save yourself a lot of worry and sweat...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
those chicken strips are so big they could be sold at the Colonel's...
I've seen similar bare patches on fellow rider's bikes with about as much distance from home as you..and in the middle of nowhere...you're safe until the steel threads actually start to shred...watch for the low tread marks next time and save yourself a lot of worry and sweat...
ya in younger dumber years i made that same mistake as well as dry rotted and going over 150 mph suffered tread separation and slid on my as$ for over a 1/4 mile, very very totaled the bike and broke some bones....
now days if it goes over lets say 30 mph ... tires get inspected befor ass goes on seat
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Used the ST once, and had the same thing.after that PR3 for my next 2 tyres , never bothered with the pirellis ever

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Here is my angel at around 10,000km
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:29 AM

I gotta say, that's one heck of a risk you took. I'm glad you got home safely, but it's not worth it in my opinion. There had to be another option.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

I gotta say, that's one heck of a risk you took. I'm glad you got home safely, but it's not worth it in my opinion. There had to be another option.
ya i agree.... tho sounds like the only other option was to not ride and what kind of option is that
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
That tyre was not far away from splitting in two!!!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Garage
Angel GT after 12,000 km, 8,000 of that was heavily loaded, high speed, straight roads

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
On one of my Alaska trips, I was at Canadian Customs (coming N from Skagway), #2 to a BMW w/ a rear tire looking like those pics. I asked permission from the Officer to talk to the guy, told him, and his reaction...?

"No problem - its got LOTS of life left!"

What an idiot. I kept watch on both ditches as I traveled that hwy, but saw nothing. Guess he survived...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 PM

My brothers Diablos did the same thing. I noticed something shiny on the rear as I rode behind him. I thought he picked up a nail.
It was just a small spot. 50 miles later it was all around and we had 200 to go.
It was a looong 200 miles
Once you see the cords, it happens fast.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
dang...looking at some of those tires..some of you all need to move where they have some curves in the road...here in Oregon we have more roads that can break a snake's back (aka really twisty) than you can shake a stick at...I've seen one yellow twisty road sign with a smaller sign below it: next 180 miles...
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
dang...looking at some of those tires..some of you all need to move where they have some curves in the road...here in Oregon we have more roads that can break a snake's back (aka really twisty) than you can shake a stick at...I've seen one yellow twisty road sign with a smaller sign below it: next 180 miles...
we also have one way roads that end on another one way road head on xD
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

Yes, true. I could have rented a car, drove five hours home, leave the V unattended for a week and then return to it a week later with a new tire and find a dealership or mount it myself in the middle of a city, but I didn't like that option. Costly. But then again, I did put myself in the situation by making the trip with a a tire like that and it could have been preventable.

Lesson learned. I didn't like the stress while riding back.

Also, I'm selling chicken strips.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:25 PM

That tire was ready to be changed LONG before it got in that shape. A little dilligence in inspection and maintenance goes a long way in making sure you don't have a REALLY bad day. Of course, the trip shouldn't have been started on a tire like that. But, Instead of renting a car, you could have rented a U-Haul to get the bike, and yourself home safely.

Last edited by adurbin; 11-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode