Wire-less Way of Charging - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Talking Wire-less Way of Charging

This peaked my interest, a fairly inexpensive solar charging station, compatible with most USB devices.

From what I can gather, this smartphone size contraption allows you to plug any usb wire into it, be it for cell phone, GPS, Ipod, etc, and enjoy a greener and albiet cleaner alternative to hardwiring a socket to your battery. I want to know more specs, such as how long it will take to charge a depleted phone battery, but at $30, thats cheaper than buying a Powerlet combination.

Check here for an editorial of where I found the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Interesting idea, never heard of it. But I checked Ebay and there's a bunch of them for a wide range of prices. Hope they work out cause I'd probably be interested.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 AM

Saw one of these at Academy Sports today. No real info on the packaging as to battery capacity, output of the solar cell, charge rates or anything. Did come with a wide array of adapters for lots of different phones, etc. Including the odd ball my Sony Ericson phone uses. Might have to give it a try.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM

"Green." A word invented to controll all of us a little more.

However, I do like the idea of the solar charger.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM

OK, well I bought one from a "reputable" seller in Hong Kong. It will take a while to get it delivered here but I'll eventually have a report for everyone. I guess I'll just be the test canary.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Yeah, id really like to know how well it works. Is it water proof? Maybe it something that could be mounted to the trunk on our bikes permanently?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann1 View Post
... Did come with a wide array of adapters for lots of different phones, etc. Including the odd ball my Sony Ericson phone uses. Might have to give it a try.
Yep Yep. It looks as if you can plug anything USB into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I guess I'll just be the test canary.
Thank you sir. I was going to be the intial guinea pig, but I have wait another week or so before I can buy it. Not to mention, even though we have had a lax winter here in the Pacific NorWest, its been cloudy and rainy.

Are you buying the Shoche one posted, or a different brand? Let us know how it goes. I am not expecting a miraculous solution, but something to at least susatain the battery of say, a cell or GPS, would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Yeah, id really like to know how well it works. Is it water proof? Maybe it something that could be mounted to the trunk on our bikes permanently?
Depending on the windscreen you have mounting, the provided suction cup might work. It also comes (the brand I mentioned) with a carabiner, but I am leary of attaching it to saddlebag as it will bounce out. I am going to see if I the suction cup housing allows you to mount the solar receiver either way (it is designed to have the panel facing the glass), and if so I could mount it anywhere. Other thoughts are map covers on Tank bags, or my saddlebags have a mesh upper pocket.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikewithmike View Post
Yep Yep. It looks as if you can plug anything USB into it.

Are you buying the Shoche one posted, or a different brand? Let us know how it goes. I am not expecting a miraculous solution, but something to at least susatain the battery of say, a cell or GPS, would be great.

Here's the one I'm getting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

It has a lithium battery and aluminum housing so it looked a little better than some of the others. Actually, I didn't research it much, just got it on a whim. We'll see how it works out. Stay tuned...

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's the one I'm getting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

It has a lithium battery and aluminum housing so it looked a little better than some of the others. Actually, I didn't research it much, just got it on a whim. We'll see how it works out. Stay tuned...
Lemme know how that works. Reading the specs provided, if they hold there value, it will on average output equal to slightly more than what it is being charged, though I don't know if "DC Input" is referring to either plugging it into the wall or soaking up some sun; or both.

The one posted had small built in battery capacity, hmm.

//// Edit ////

Further too note, the Solbat2 takes 4-5 days to charge by sun alone (5 hours plugged in), whereas the what appears to be cheaper imitation on Ebay states a complete charge in 10-12 hours, and 3-5 by AC. The Unnamed solar charger off Ebay has a 2600mAh, which is exactly twice the charge (er, volume) on my smartphone. All signs seem to say spend half as much on ebay and get twice the product.

Last edited by hikewithmike; 02-06-2010 at 02:48 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Here is a similar concept to the one of Ebay, though from a Stateside company, and at $50.

https://solarstylemiami.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=63

Nelson-Rigg, I have found, makes several luggage options that incorporate a solar panel and charger with multiple adapters. It holds a larger charge capacity and the panel would fit into a map pocket, or one of there specific luggage options. Since I am looking a getting a more adaptable tank bank, I might go that route.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/category.aspx?cid=101
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back on the job but I'm ready to give a partial review. It took a while to get the thing delivered from Hong Kong. This is basically a battery that can either be charged by the sun or a plug in wall charger. The directions said to completely charge and discharge the battery twice prior to using it normally. So I plugged it into the wall and believe it or not it took about 20 hours to develope a complete charge. The battery comes with a little LED 3 bulb light (flashlight) so I turned it on to discharge the battery. It took 3 days to go out. Then I plugged it in again and brought it up to full charge. Then I hooked it up to charge a cell phone. It said "full charge" in about 2 hours but I later noticed the cell phone drained down much faster than normal so I don't think it was actually fully charged. Meanwhile I turned on the flashlight and drained the device again.
OK, so now I can try to charge it with sunlight! Unfortunately there's no sun right now and it doesn't look good for the next 5 days or so. So stand by and I'll give more info as it comes. I'm guessing it will take a couple of days to charge in direct sunlight but I could be wrong. In short - the jury is still out on thiis one. I just didn't want you guys to think I've forgotten about you.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to get back on the job but I'm ready to give a partial review. It took a while to get the thing delivered from Hong Kong. This is basically a battery that can either be charged by the sun or a plug in wall charger. The directions said to completely charge and discharge the battery twice prior to using it normally. So I plugged it into the wall and believe it or not it took about 20 hours to develope a complete charge. The battery comes with a little LED 3 bulb light (flashlight) so I turned it on to discharge the battery. It took 3 days to go out. Then I plugged it in again and brought it up to full charge. Then I hooked it up to charge a cell phone. It said "full charge" in about 2 hours but I later noticed the cell phone drained down much faster than normal so I don't think it was actually fully charged. Meanwhile I turned on the flashlight and drained the device again.
OK, so now I can try to charge it with sunlight! Unfortunately there's no sun right now and it doesn't look good for the next 5 days or so. So stand by and I'll give more info as it comes. I'm guessing it will take a couple of days to charge in direct sunlight but I could be wrong. In short - the jury is still out on thiis one. I just didn't want you guys to think I've forgotten about you.
Thanks for getting back to us on it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM

OK, I'm ready for the final report on this thing now. There are a few things I don't like about it. Like I stated earlier, it's really a battery with a solar panel attached to charge it. Once you get the battery charged you can than download the charge to your cellphone or other device. You can either be charging the device or discharge it into your phone, but not both at once. And you can't just charge your cell phone directly under the sun. You have to charge the device first and then transfer the charge into the phone. All this takes a lot of time.
There are four indicator lights on the device which are supposed to let you know the level of charge, but these lights don't seem to work. Bummer. Once the device gets charged it will charge my phone in a couple of hours. I don't know how long it takes to fully charge the device due to the indicator lights not working. Once it is charged it will only charge the phone 1 time and then you have to put it back in the sun.
Overall I would say it was probably a waste of money. It is far more practical to just install a charging plug on the bike and plug the phone into it. I suppose if you were on an extended hike or camping trip with no other source of electricity this thing would probably be useful but it's not worthwhile for my purposes.
Oh well, another gadget to play with. It still serves a purpose as a spare battery of sorts. Hope this is helpful and sorry it took so long to get the report.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed report. I agree that installing an accessory outlet is more likely practical, if I were to resolve to the solar charging, it would most likely be Nelson-Rigg luggage set, as their battery has thrice the capacity of the one you tried, and it appears it can charge and discharge at the same time, but I have no confirmation on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode