Hardwire GPS? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Hardwire GPS?

Got a new Versys yesterday and would like to mount a GPS.

I'm not looking to invest alot of money in the project.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 for my truck and want to use that on the bike as well. I know this is not ideal but I think it will get me through the few times I will use it.

I would like to hardwire it and I like things to be neat and tidy. I have seen some just use a cig lighter outlet and plug into it. Then there would be the extra cord to deal with, and while this would work I wouldn't consider this ideal.

I was thinking of getting an extra power cord and cutting off the gig lighter end and hard wiring it to the power sorce. The other end would be up at the mount ready for use. Just plug in and go. Will this work? Any other suggestions? I plan to wire a distribution block with a relay (as posted on here somewhere) to run the GPS and grip heaters.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Yeah that should work fine, I am in the process of hardwiring my GPS.
The GPS draws very little power. You could tap power after the relay but before the switch for the grips, so that the GPS power is switched but not only on when your grip heaters are on.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I hard-wired my GPS. I tapped into the DRLs beside the headlight. That way power is ONLY on when the ignition key is selected to ON. Without going back in to have a look, I BELIEVE I wired the GPS with it's fuse in the line. (You DON'T want to tap into the power feed for either the high or low beams... don't ask HOW I know that....)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
I was thinking of getting an extra power cord and cutting off the gig lighter end and hard wiring it to the power sorce. The other end would be up at the mount ready for use. Just plug in and go. Will this work?
DO NOT try this!

According to specifications on Garmin's website, the Nuvi 200 is rated for 5 watts max.

This means there are electronics within the cigarette lighter plug that reduce the voltage to 5 watts max, which is typical for car-based gps units.

If you remove the plug and wire directly to your bike's system, you will be overloading the electronics in the GPS with 12-14.4 volts. What happens next? You toast your GPS.

Last edited by E-nigma; 02-04-2010 at 04:54 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM

i got a new GPS and mounted my old garmin GPS V on my bike last week. i bought a cigarette lighter splitter at the local radioshack and cut off the one end. i tapped into the wire coming from the horn fuse under the seat so it only has power when the key is on. the advantage of this for me was that the radioshack splitter was cheaper than the garmin cord and i didnt feel bad cutting it. i also have a place to plug in anything else i might need, such as a cell phone charger, should that become important.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM

5 watts is the current draw, not the voltage.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
DO NOT try this!

According to specifications on Garmin's website, the Nuvi 200 is rated for 5 watts max.

This means there are electronics within the cigarette lighter plug that reduce the voltage to 5 watts max, which is typical for car-based gps units.

If you remove the plug and wire directly to your bike's system, you will be overloading the electronics in the GPS with 12-14.4 volts. What happens next? You toast your GPS.
You are correct. I looked at the plug and it says 12v input and 5v output. I guess I have to get a cig lighter outlet.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM

I stand corrected also.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post

I would like to hardwire it and I like things to be neat and tidy.
This is what I used. I put my own ends on the wire and took it to the battery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-nuvi-200-...item2c523befcf

I took that splitter apart and used RTV to waterproof it. There is a little board inside that doesnt like water!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
5 watts is the current draw, not the voltage.

Good catch Randy49.

I got lucky with the "5" number, but I did post "watts" and not "volts".

I knew the voltage was also less than 12V.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM

I hardwired mine to the V fuse box under the saddle, just found a 'switched' fuse, pulled it out shoved the wire into the slot and crammed the fuse back in. Found a ground near the headlight and its been working great for 23k miles.

BTW, on my TomTom GPS, when the power is off, the GPS switches to battery, so you have to remember to turn the GPS off as well.

Machog

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 PM

personally, i found adding a lighter socket to the v to be ideal. That way i can plug in not onlu my gps, but my cell phone chrager when need be, as well as mp3 player charer... Etc.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Personally, i found that adding a ciggy lighter was my best option. That way i can plug in and unplug thr gps as need be. The power source is as removableas the unit. Furthermore, i can charge my cell phone or mp3 player from the same socket.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I've got a Nuvi 265WT that I hardwired using a switchable accessory wiring block. I also have a 12V socket close by.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=a2ron

I mounted my Nuvi: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...7&postcount=14

There are a couple of sources for the Nuvi 12V direct wire harness, or you can build your own sacrificing the 12V plug that comes with the Nuvi. A couple dissections on some other fourms (advrider.com) show what is inside the plug and wiring options.

I also carry a USB charging adapter for the 12V socket, I can use the same USB-miniUSB cable to charge my cell phone, MP3 player and Nuvi if I need too.

I have the flush mount Belkin USB 12V adapter so it doesnt stick out like the regular 12V adapters.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. After further considering some thoughts you guys had, I decided to just wire a 12v accessory outlet for now. Seemed like the most universal being able to us it for the GPS, phone and Ipod. While the Nuvi will work for now I'm guessing I may upgrade down the road and will hardwire then. I got the outlet installed and my heated grips hooked up today. The dash panel sure gives a nice easy mounting platform. Should have my GPS mount finished tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Got the GPS hotwired from the Cig Lighter and GPS comes ON when Key switch is On. Simple and trouble free with 2 fuses in between. One for the cig lighter and one that came with the GPS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0011.jpg (346.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0009.jpg (219.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0005.jpg (342.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0014.jpg (364.6 KB, 90 views)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I hardwired my Zumo 450. Just ran a line straight from the battery to the RAM mount and it is no problem. There is a fuse in the Zumo's power cord and I usually pull the unit when I park, so no draw on the battery all the time. Easy, simple and pretty foolproof, though being a major league fool I am waiting for the other shoe to fall...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode