Ride Comfort Question -- Throttle Wrist & Rear Break Foot - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride Comfort Question -- Throttle Wrist & Rear Break Foot

Not always but occasionally either of the following occur: my throttle wrist begins to uncomfortably stiffen when holding speed, and my right shin will become stiff from my right foot hovering over the rear break; unlike my non-aching left foot that gets to droop down between the peg and shifter.

From point A to point B around town, I'm not concerned and can deal with this when the discomfort surfaces. However, I really want to do my first state-to-state tour this coming summer and I would hate for this kind of fatigue to set in when on the road for an hour or two between stops, and especially miles from home.

Any solutions to either discomfort? Thanks.

'13 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Garage
I think it is going to come down to a "what works for you" type of thing.

A couple ideas come to mind.

You could look at an inexpensive throttle lock. This isn't a cruse control, but rather it just holds the throttle to a set position, giving you the chance to stretch your wrist, shake it out, etc. I think you can find an inexpensive one for $20 or so. I've heard of using an o-ring where the throttle meets the bar end weight, but I've never tried it.
http://www.aerostich.com/go-cruisetm...control-1.html
Also, try adjusting your hand position and or look bar risers.

For the brake, what type of boots are you wearing? There is quite a bit of adjustment in the brake position, maybe you just need to move it. On a longer ride, change foot position once in a while, even if just to stretch out. Move your foot on the peg from the arch area to the ball. On longer rides, I will even move my feet up to the rear pegs just for a different position for a while. Some may say that is a less "ready to brake" position, but it can't be any worse than having them on highway pegs.

You always want to be prepared to respond to a situation, but maybe you are riding a little too tense?

With a few modifications, the Versys can be a decent touring bike. I've done 600 mile days and several 400 mile consecutive day trips.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 11-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I've been trying to pay attention to my position on days when the discomfort appears versus the days I'm fine. Being tense does sound like the probably culprit there when I think about it. I'm definitely going to look into the throttle lock. As for my right foot, I wear my combat boots -- not actual riding boots.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
Not always but occasionally either of the following occur: my throttle wrist begins to uncomfortably stiffen when holding speed, and my right shin will become stiff from my right foot hovering over the rear break; unlike my non-aching left foot that gets to droop down between the peg and shifter.
The brake peddle isn't much bigger than the shifter peddle that I notice.
Can't you just let your brake foot droop between the peddle and brake like you do with your foot on the shifter side ?

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Why are you worrying about your back brake, it is the front brake that will stop you. Relax. A throttle lock helps to give the right hand a break.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Garage
I use a $6 wide cramp buster. I have it adjusted so my hand is at natural rest. makes it around 5k rpm 6th gear or 75 mph. for foot I have replaced the factory pegs for off road pegs (ebay $12-18). nice wide foot rest. then added motowerks peg lowering links. On most road work I don't cover rear brake. just front.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Why are you worrying about your back brake, it is the front brake that will stop you. Relax. A throttle lock helps to give the right hand a break.
X2. I sometimes will hook my feet over the rear foot pegs to stretch them out. I'm waiting for the day when I get a hip cramp while doing that. I also will sit on the pillion for a few minutes to stretch out my legs as well.

I need to learn a lot more about braking, but I hVe locked the rear up a couple times in panic situations, so Not having my foot ready to brake on the highway or other lonely stretches does not concern me much.

'09 Versys
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 04:42 PM

I use one of these:

http://shop.crampbuster.com/crampbuster-cb4.html

Makes a WORLD of difference. Being able to open your hand, use 1 finger to hold the throttle in position for a few seconds, or whatever. I also have a cheap throttle lock that I use as well. Both help with the wrist issue.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 04:48 PM

I found that raising and rotating the handlebar helped with the wrist, it may take a while to find your "Sweet Spot" but it will make all the difference in the world. I had to change the bar on the KLR to get the "Pull Back" to the right angle for comfort. As far as the feet go I will move my feet back to have the balls of my feet on the pegs for a break on the open road. Heck on long trips I'll even use the passenger pegs and a extra place to hang my feet to stay fresh. The throttle lock is the best thing to help IMHO short of a true cruise control and the add on one I saw cost big bucks.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Highway...WPMT-REVB2.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:45 AM

Alex - a few suggestions: 1. Take your Ibuprofen about 20 minutes BEFORE your ride and then re-dose as directed throughout your ride. 2. Disconnect the throttle return spring and get something like the first throttle friction device mentioned above (Aerostich.) It's incredibly simple in how it works and allows you to completely remove your right hand from the bars to give it time to "rest." I'll leave it to others to address the shin-cramp issue, I don't experience that. Oh, and one other thing, pick up one of those grip exercisers. You know, the thing you squeeze to strengthen your grip. When I know I've got a lengthy ride coming up, a couple weeks BEFORE the ride, I'll start squeezing the thing multiple times throughout the day.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

From point A to point B around town, I'm not concerned and can deal with this when the discomfort surfaces. However, I really want to do my first state-to-state tour this coming summer and I would hate for this kind of fatigue to set in when on the road for an hour or two between stops, and especially miles from home.

Any solutions to either discomfort? Thanks.

'13 Versys 650
You need to slide you feet back so the balls of your feet ( the area right behind your toes) are resting on the pegs. You move them to shift or brake.

Your wrists should be straight and comfortable instead of bent. You should have very little weight on your hands. Your levers may need to be adjusted downward a little for easy reach without bending your wrists.

I recommend you pick up a copy of "Total Control" by Lee Parks. It goes into riding position and setting up the bike properly.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Those are all good suggestions, but I know what you really need...

A time machine. Set it to say, 2000 - and when you get there, all the aches and pains will be gone.

As will that urge to keep children off your lawn...

(All kidding aside, I bought one of those cruise-control-type clamps so I can rest my hand occasionally. Works great.)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well everything that has been suggested I have------cramp buster, throttle lock,Motowerk lowered pegs and highway pegs, and a Corbin seat, at times I compare my ride comfort to that of sitting in my Lazyboy.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the replies. The cramp buster looks like an affordable application for now, and the grip ball is smart -- I used to rock climb and had quite the grip, but a tendon tear took me out of the sport a while back. For the road trip this summer, I will definitely look into a throttle lock. To even shake out my hand/wrist for a few seconds on the open highway will be nice. Those forward foot pegs seemed legit -- I wonder how they would work with the SW-Motech crash bars . . .

As for the shin discomfort, I'll be more conscious about putting the balls of my feet on the pegs. The rear brake has become a habit that sounds like I need to stop unless during an emergency stop. I do apply the front brake for every stop, but the rear brake too unless going around a corner/bend.

Total Control by Lee Parks sounds very familiar. I feel like I watched a YouTube video that demonstrated some of his teachings.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
-- I wonder how they would work with the SW-Motech crash bars . . .

I had them with the H/B Crash Bars and when i sold the bike. A local guy bought the highway pegs from me and he put it on his Versys with SW Motech Crash Bars no issues...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-09-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
... and my right shin will become stiff from my right foot hovering over the rear break; unlike my non-aching left foot that gets to droop down between the peg and shifter....
Like most replies, I use a throttle "lock" (Vista Cruise Universal), ride on the 'balls' of my feet, and ONLY 'cover the rear brake for short periods in heavy traffic, tho' I ALWAYS have two fingers resting on the front brake lever.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you all so much for the replies. The cramp buster looks like an affordable application for now, and the grip ball is smart -- I used to rock climb and had quite the grip, but a tendon tear took me out of the sport a while back. For the road trip this summer, I will definitely look into a throttle lock. To even shake out my hand/wrist for a few seconds on the open highway will be nice. Those forward foot pegs seemed legit -- I wonder how they would work with the SW-Motech crash bars . . .

As for the shin discomfort, I'll be more conscious about putting the balls of my feet on the pegs. The rear brake has become a habit that sounds like I need to stop unless during an emergency stop. I do apply the front brake for every stop, but the rear brake too unless going around a corner/bend.

Total Control by Lee Parks sounds very familiar. I feel like I watched a YouTube video that demonstrated some of his teachings.
works fine for me
6'-1" 32 " inseam

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 03-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:

You don't need to grip hard, you need to relax. If you have a throttle lock you can remove your hands from the bar (one at a time of course) and flex you r
arm/hand a few times to restore circulation. I also like to stand up on the pegs a few times to restore circulation to legs/butt. On long trips I do this about once an hour. Kaoko makes a very nice throttle lock for the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode