First drop - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to shikataganai
Angry First drop

I dropped the bike for my first time today. (Backstory: I bought my 2008 Versys 9 days ago so am new to the fold.)

I'd been riding all week without incident in very cold but dry weather and was going to ride in today: my wife wanted the car to use for work, as taking the bus home would have taken just shy of an hour. Last night it snowed, however, and the roads are still wet albeit clear. Add in 28 degree weather and you have a recipe for disaster.

Thankfully my "disaster" was a minor one not involving any injury: I dropped the bike coming out of the parking garage, not 500 feet from my parking space. I locked up the front with what I thought was a pretty reasonable application of brake on a slippery piece of concrete and the bike went sideways in a snap. It was still running when it hit the ground so I hit the kill switch, thought for a moment on how to pick it up (it's 450 lbs with fluids so is no tiny beast), righted it, hopped back on, restarted it, and rode right back to my parking spot.

The damage tally: scratched bar end weight and random grey piece of plastic, cracked right tank shroud, loose right front turn signal. No damage to me, thankfully: I hopped off of and clear of it instinctively, just as on a bicycle. I think I'll ziptie the turn signal, clean off the plastic a bit, and try to glue the cracked tank shroud--I'm cheap, don't really care about appearances, and although this is my first, chances are this won't be my last drop.

This experience kind of sucks, but it is a learning experience that I probably had to go through at some point given my exuberance for riding and the weather around here. Despite the technical ability to ride and not freeze to death granted by heated gear I should stay off the bike when it's wet and anywhere near freezing. Lesson learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM

Sorry to hear that, but I had a first drop within the first couple of weeks. Just an inexperienced move. No damage that time, but I have had a few more. I have banged myself up a little bit but nothing serious. You are better off riding for a little while before you replace any parts, to get a better feel for the bike. Where are you located?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Sorry to hear that, but I had a first drop within the first couple of weeks. Just an inexperienced move. No damage that time, but I have had a few more. I have banged myself up a little bit but nothing serious. You are better off riding for a little while before you replace any parts, to get a better feel for the bike. Where are you located?
Profile updated. I'm in East Meadow, in Nassau County on Long Island, NY.

I figured as much with regard to fixing it. I'm going to head out to the bike this afternoon to try to clean it up a bit, ziptie the turn signal in acceptable location, and bridge that crack in the tank shroud with some cyanoacrylate, perhaps.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Sorry to hear about the drop but "welcome to the club" and glad you're ok.

A very good investment to consider is some crash bars as they can minimize damage to the V in a fall or drop if it were ever to happen again.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=hb+crash+bars

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM

its a bit to late now, but engine bars may well have protected the tanks and the side pieces.
my recent low speed drop, on ice proved the bars worked. bit of scraping to the side bar, bit sore as the bike fell on me. but all in all can't recommend engine bars enough. your call on which bars to use, theres Hepco & Becker, SW Motech and there may be others.. not even sure if Renntec are still making 'em

FWIW I went with H&B
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 AM

That is good advice, I can only add you are going to have to eventually fix the turn signal for inspection and your safety.

My Album:
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM

Insurance. Buy it and use it. Otherwise your wasting your money on a legal requirement.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest that "JB Weld" will work (at the rear of the break) better than Crazy Glue.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM

dropped mind 1 day after i purchase it, sidestand stayed halfway open, damage 2 n/s
engine case, now fitted renntec crash bar. kev. uk.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Status post "repair" with four long zipties, a sponge, and some cyanoacrylate:

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Glad you're Ok...I can tell you it's time for the H&B's...Mine paid for themselves on my first drop...It was the first "farkle" I bought for the V...I knew the drop club was waiting

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 PM

Yeah, u got by pretty lucky. I see red tank plastics on ebay from time to time. Since you did so good with your repair, you can take your time and find u a good used replacement. I think crash bars are a good investment as well. I have not dropped my V yet, but I am sure will eventually.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM

I give you guts for even attempting to ride mid winter in NY. For me I live in Illinois and 2 weekends ago we had 40 degrees. Still got full coverage on her but you never know since snow was still on the grassy areas. Temps could be high during the day but once the sun goes down anything is possible.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Ditto on making a more permanent repair to the turn signal. I also agree JBWeld would make a stronger repair to the crack than the superglue you used. Furthermore, to prevent stress and vibrations from spreading the crack further it is a good idea to drill a small hole at the terminus of the crack. (eliminates a stress riser)

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 AM

My first drop was in my own garage. I was backing it up, my foot slipped and it went over. The handlebar landed on my daughter's bicycle seat. The weight of the V snapped the bicycle's aluminum kickstand, but the V never touched the ground. WHew that was a close one.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet...

When traveling at slow speeds on potentially slick surfaces you should be using your rear brake instead of your front. As you found out it's very easy for the front to lock up or simply be too powerful (even applied gradually and lightly) in those conditions. If you use your rear brake in those instances in the future the bike wont want to tip like it did.

Good luck with your repairs and your next time out in the wet stuff.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM

IMOP. if its below freezing. 32 degrees..its just not woth the risk. glad for you...no injuries...Ride on. Nice job on the repairs!

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM

I was on e-bay probaly 3 days ago and saw alot of cheap 08 parts- plastics
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM

that fall would force me to move to Florida....

glad your unharmed...fine job on the fix...keep riding! wait until the temps are up there.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Glad your okay--great job on the fairing repair! I dropped mine backing it into my shed within 2 weeks of owning it, broke one windshield bracket, bent the other and the upper cowl bracket that all mounts to. I have since fixed my ramp( no unexpected shifting) and added Hepco and Becker's for the next time it happens.
I'm sure one of these naked bike guys would sell you one of their turn signals cheap....
well guys????

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode