Pulled the Ad - '08 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pulled the Ad - '08 Versys

Early this morning I pulled my Craigslist ad that had my '08 w/22K miles.

Before making my post, I checked the competition and priced mine at what I though was a very reasonable price - $3500 - including a bunch of riding gear goodies & accessories (electric gloves, back rest, chaps/jackets, manuals, etc)

The bike is very clean and well taken care of, has the factory hard bags, recently replaced sprockets & chain, tires only had 3K miles on them. In short, a very nice bike.

But there were no serious inquiries - not even low-ballers! The 2 inquires I got, i'm almost certain, were guys who were my competitors - who have their bikes posted on Craigslist - and have had them posted for months. Both asked, "Is your Versys still for sale?" I never heard back from them.

I've come to the conclusion that the Versys must have a limited audience. Those of us who own one (or 2 or 3, etc) KNOW the "versatility" of the bike. We know how well she handles the open road, twist-ies, etc. We know she's got an incredible amount of power for a 650. She's not a crotch-rocket, she's not a cruiser, she's not a touring bike. But she CAN do all these things. And she can do them very well.

Before posting mine, I realized there were several others here in the Houston area that had been posted for a long time. Therefore I posted the bike with a "Plan B" in mind . . . keep her!

I was trying to sell her because I haven't been riding enough to keep HER happy. You know how these girls can be . . . they want regular attention.

I took her out last Saturday (or maybe it was HER who took ME out!) for a 300 mile day long ride on some beautiful Texas back roads. It was a perfect day for a ride. And she did not disappoint! As I rolled in to my driveway after about 10 hours (several stops and a nice visit with a friend in the country) I realized I was smiling from ear to ear.

"Plan B" here I come !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 AM

yep - i forsee no reason for me to ever sell unless the bike gets to a point beyond repair
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 AM

I'm in the same boat, granted, I just got my Versys, so I'm in the honeymoon period, but it really is just a good bike. I feel like I'll hang on to mine for a long time.

Especially since 10K seems to be the big depreciation point on bikes around here, and thats nothing for a Versys or even most bikes.

2009 Versys 650
1975 Kawasaki F11 250
1972 Suzuki RV90

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's not just the Versys.

Bike sales (in general) are in the toilet right now.

I buy a couple two or three bikes every year for resale. Normally "dead" ones. It's a great hobby.

Just pulled my two off of Craigslist because they've been out there six months and no serious buyers. Both of them were priced fairly lower than similar bikes listed.

Soooo - put the bike back on Craigslist in early January, because many will be getting their income tax refunds.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydiah View Post
I'm in the same boat, granted, I just got my Versys, so I'm in the honeymoon period, but it really is just a good bike. I feel like I'll hang on to mine for a long time.

Especially since 10K seems to be the big depreciation point on bikes around here, and thats nothing for a Versys or even most bikes.
I've been in my honeymoon period for 2 1/2 years. I always love riding my Versys.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
only reason I can think of changing from my first gen would be to get a more current version. Loving the bike so far though!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Yes the V is a "hard sell". That's why i'd never go near MSRP.

But this is also the worst time of year to sell. This is buying season. March on ward is selling season.

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 PM

They are slow to move here (Portland) as well, and not just when we get our cold & wet. A lot of really low mileage bikes too. Mine's got 50k- I feel like my choices are wear it out or give it away. Figuratively, of course.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
They are slow to move here (Portland) as well, and not just when we get our cold & wet. A lot of really low mileage bikes too. Mine's got 50k- I feel like my choices are wear it out or give it away. Figuratively, of course.
well when you hit the give away point ill take it =p. v is such a great bike. when i first saw pics i thought id hate it but i fell in love when i saw it in person, and my back and knees love it too
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sell the hard bags separately and drop the price of the bike to $3000.00. You might have better luck. I had my 09 fully farkled for $4500.00 hardly any interest. Took most of the farkles off sold them then re-posted the bike for $4000.00 sold a week later. Got just over $5000.00 total that way.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:42 PM

I think when i sell it, i'll strip it down to a bit of a street fighter look. See if it will sell better as a "Naked Ninja". lol

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 PM

Wait 'til spring.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 PM

A dealer once told me the best time to attempt to sell a bike are the months of March, April, and May.

Last edited by Ziggy; 11-08-2014 at 08:15 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 PM

I'm with kballowe and weljo.

It's not Versys-specific. Fact is, middle class people buy motorcycles and the middle class has been squeezed in this economic "recovery." Household debt loads remain too high, as evidenced by the percentage of auto loans that are subprime (echoes of the 2008 housing crash, anyone?). Fact is that for most people (not me), a motorcycle is a toy. Other spending comes first. Fact is that since most people treat a motorcycle as a toy, there are always low-mileage used bikes available to compete against yours.

Weljo is also correct that the best way to extract value is to strip accessories and sell them separately. If you decide you want to sell, sell all the parts piecemeal. Yes, it's more work, but you'll have a hard time finding someone who will pay you more for a bike because it has saddlebags, but you can probably easily find someone who will buy the bags separately.

Of course there's also nothing wrong with your plan of keeping it and riding it. I know I couldn't sell mine for any serious amount of money, so I'll ride it into the ground. I'm fine with that.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
My '08 is at 52,xxx miles, my '09 is at ABOUT 52,xxx kms. Can't even IMAGINE selling either one.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode