Dropped the Bike -- Oh, the humanity! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dropped the Bike -- Oh, the humanity!

So I finally laid the bike down. People always said it was never a matter of "if" but "when" it would happen.

On the way home from work, traffic was horrendous. People were cutting me off, braking for no reason, I even had to swerve from a car in order to not run into the back. Surely if there was a day to get in a wreck, that would've been the day. But no wreck. Instead, having survived the deadly traffic, pulling into my driveway I somehow bumped my trashcan, hit the front brake too hard, and the slow-motion lean off to the left began. I tried to save it, but at the point of no return all I could do was try to let it down gently.

The plastic fairing has a minor scratch and the alternator cover has a noticeable scratch. The left handlebar bumper has a scratch and the left peg nipple snapped off. So just cosmetic damage--no paint damage, thank the Lord.

It seems to be riding fine. Any need to bring it to the shop though? I was just there, in fact, getting maintenance done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 04:04 PM

There shouldn't be a need to bring it into the shop. If you rode into your trashcan at 10MPH, that would be a different story.

Other than the cosmetic damages, I would check to make sure your handlebars are aligned properly.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yep i got that T-Shirt a long time ago. Would have dropped the FJR today but it leaned into one of our cars next to it. Parked it a little from the curb in neutral so when i got on the biked it rolled back to the curb and i lost balance while the mirror was on the car and i was trying to keep it from going any farther my stepson didn't notice what was going on and climb on the back of the bike. So now i'm lifting his weight my weight and the weight of the bike. Straightened it out and took him to pick up his car. I think my lower back will be aching later.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 04:48 PM

We've all been there, done that, I think. No heroics just bad timing or attention. Live and learn is all you can do. I learned if the bike's going down get OUT OF THE WAY and let it. I dropped my old CX-650 Silverwing and fought it all the way down to the cost of a torn hamstring muscle when it landed on my leg.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Garage

Dropped mine 3 times at zero speed onto concrete result? small scratch on the BarkBusters plastic and a bit of rash on the crash bar

easily fixed with plastic paint

The BarkBusters have saved me 3 clutch levers minimum
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...I learned if the bike's going down get OUT OF THE WAY and let it....
That's what I do, and what I DID when BIG RED went over on "Day 1" riding w/ jdrocks....

(Or at least... what I did AS BEST I COULD.... - STILL ended up underneath, but NOT caught by it.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

You can also hide the scratches w/ a couple of inches of electricians tape.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:22 PM

My Versys was kicked over and the only real damage was to the V35 bag and the lower fork leg. You can buy the parts for the bags and I touched up the leg BUT I want a set of fork sliders for the front...other than the roller skate wheel things I've seen locally.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 11-01-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome to the club
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

MaverickAus -- Ironic that you listed the Barkbusters and SW-Motech sliders. I have both of those in my Revzilla Wishlist. Next paycheck I may go through with the order.

I'll look into my handlebars being aligned. I'm sure they are. When I test rode the other night everything seemed fine. If anything, I'm not pissed I dumped the bike; I just can't wrap my head around how I bumped into the trashcan . . . It is funny though.

QUESTION: My clutch lever pulls in/out fine but it has some play, I can jiggle it up/down. Not by much, but where my brake lever is sturdy, the shifter feels minorly loose. However, I cannot recall if it was like that before the drop. Do your clutch levers have some minor play up/down?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
QUESTION: My clutch lever pulls in/out fine but it has some play, I can jiggle it up/down. Not by much, but where my brake lever is sturdy, the shifter feels minorly loose. However, I cannot recall if it was like that before the drop. Do your clutch levers have some minor play up/down?
after something like that (a drop) you always over investigate everything mine has a bit of play like that too, i wouldn't worry as long as its still working
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Seems everyone has had some kind of misadventure in their driveway or garage.

Last edited by Gatorfan; 11-02-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 08:43 PM

One of the Concours forums has what they call a CDA, connie droppers anonymous. Drop your Connie, post it and they award you a number. I'm something like 239. 600lb Concours and gravity win every time. I did go down on the Versys in the middle of a river earlier this year.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You can also hide the scratches w/ a couple of inches of electricians tape.
If you want it to look like ****
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:03 AM

Welcome into the club!
Because a similar event, my V also has a shorter footpeg and minor scratches...
Do you remember the song?
"Don't worry, drive happy!!"

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1 View Post
Mine do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
If you want it to look like ****
Here's what my H-B crashbars looked like after I had a low-side at 20 to 30 mph, and covered the scrape w/ a piece of tape....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Dropping a bike in the driveway or garage is something that everyone does. As others have stated, the best thing to do is to get out of the way so you don't get hurt. Dealing with an injury if the bike falls on you or a pulling a muscle trying to hold the bike up are just not worth it. A bit of paint fixes the scratches.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
Seems everyone has had some kind of misadventure in their driveway or garage.
or the work parking lot in the rain when my foot slipped making me lose my balance. slowly laid it down then picked it up and rode away.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:27 AM

Mine happened with less than 100kms on the odo. One week old Vee. But not by me. My older brother wants to test it, so after many reminders--he dropped it while slow turning. Still losing sleep over it. Good thing I installed Touratec crashbar the after I bought it.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 AM

Why would you bring it to a shop? It's just a trash can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode