How Do You Lower 2015 Versys with Center Stand? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How Do You Lower 2015 Versys with Center Stand?

Lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because they have a center stand. You have to cut shorter a side stand, but you can't cut the center stand. And since frame of the bike will be almost 2 inches closer to the ground, you will have very hard time using center stand.
What is the solution for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
center stand will still work just lifts bike a bit higher, had the same thing with my cafe bike, a slight incline (like a parking lot) helps alot
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 PM

Lower the seat first: I removed all the padding in the front portion, except for the first six inches (to keep the forward portion up), replace the cover, then put an AirHawk R air cushion on top. Very comfortable, and lowers the seat height around 2".

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
center stand will still work just lifts bike a bit higher, had the same thing with my cafe bike, a slight incline (like a parking lot) helps a lot
Ummm... 550 lbs Versys 1000, I really don't want to struggle with it to bring bike up on center stand after it's 2 inches lowered, this will be a difficult task.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Lower the seat first: I removed all the padding in the front portion, except for the first six inches (to keep the forward portion up), replace the cover, then put an AirHawk R air cushion on top. Very comfortable, and lowers the seat height around 2".
Lowering seat could be the only option left. Kawi advertize "Gel Low Seat" for 650, but only "Gel Seat" for 1000. I think they both low though, they just mistyped it, but we will see...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick13 View Post
Ummm... 550 lbs Versys 1000, I really don't want to struggle with it to bring bike up on center stand after it's 2 inches lowered, this will be a difficult task.
thats light <.< my cafe was almost 800lbs loaded wet... again a slight incline can be your best friend
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Stand too long.

OK, here is what I know. On Honda CTX-700 forum, people install center stands that came from Honda NC-700S, but some guys, mistakenly order center stands from NC-700X, which less than 1 inch longer, but that little difference is enough to render stand useless, they cannot get their bikes on it, stand is too tall. So, I'd think when lowering 2015 Versys, we have to make sure this issue has been somehow resolved. I'd try low seat first.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM

Garage
I have a question on this. I have never had a bike with a center stand, so please excuse my ignorance.

When you put the bike up/lower the stand, Are you pushing down on the stand and lifting and pulling backward on bike from side.

When I use the rear stand, I push down on stand handle and pull back on rear rack. With hip on panner to steady.

So if it was a longer pull/lift would it be any harder?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I have a question on this. I have never had a bike with a center stand, so please excuse my ignorance.

When you put the bike up/lower the stand, Are you pushing down on the stand and lifting and pulling backward on bike from side.

When I use the rear stand, I push down on stand handle and pull back on rear rack. With hip on panner to steady.

So if it was a longer pull/lift would it be any harder?
yup all my bikes with CS in the past had a foot peg thing (like reg side stand), stand on it with one foot and push bike back with other , bike pivits up onto stand and front tire (some times rocks onto back if you have to much gumption)and rear tire is a couple inches of the ground
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because they have a center stand. You have to cut shorter a side stand, but you can't cut the center stand. And since frame of the bike will be almost 2 inches closer to the ground, you will have very hard time using center stand.
boots with really thick soles
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
center stand will still work just lifts bike a bit higher, had the same thing with my cafe bike, a slight incline (like a parking lot) helps alot
Quote:
OK, here is what I know. On Honda CTX-700 forum, people install center stands that came from Honda NC-700S, but some guys, mistakenly order center stands from NC-700X, which less than 1 inch longer, but that little difference is enough to render stand useless, they cannot get their bikes on it, stand is too tall. So, I'd think when lowering 2015 Versys, we have to make sure this issue has been somehow resolved. I'd try low seat first.
Yes - IF the bike is lowered, it becomes ALMOST impossible to overcome the leverage required to get it up that extra bit.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because they have a center stand. You have to cut shorter a side stand, but you can't cut the center stand.
Not sure if your aware but the 650 does NOT have a centre stand, only the 1000 does
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
thats light <.< my cafe was almost 800lbs loaded wet... again a slight incline can be your best friend
800 lb cafe?? that was with you on it right??? what did that thing weight BEFORE you cafe'd it?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
800 lb cafe?? that was with you on it right??? what did that thing weight BEFORE you cafe'd it?
nope with me off it >.> 950 lbs with me on full tank of gas and reg cargo
took about 50 lbs with mods i think (was a goddy done bobber when i got it)
thing was a f*cking pig lol
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Not sure if your aware but the 650 does NOT have a centre stand, only the 1000 does
Thanks Maverick, didn't know that. I'm after 1000 anyway, two up in comfort is a must for me. And with inseam 30" I'm worry about firmly footing in slow traffic. I hope lower gel seat will solve it. Plus, when two up, the weight will push bike even lower, so hopefully this will work, since it looks like lowering kit not an option anymore, because of a center stand issues.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 PM

Hey Nick13,
Have you visited the Cycle Ergo site? My previous 2008 Versys is a bit taller than the new 2015 is. My inseam is also 30", and I never had any issues driving around, and/or stopping with it at its regular height. the site's address is http://cycle-ergo.com . Go check it out.

Slow down, and you'll get there faster!!!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Remove it.

I hate center stands. I had to take them off my Ducs because they dragged in corners and levered the rear tire off the ground. I have one on my FJR that I had to saw up because it would interfere with my foot otherwise. Now, with its shortened lever, it's very hard to get the bike up on it. Then again, it's got about 60k miles on it and I've yet to ever need to deploy it. It is convenient to change the oil, but the V1K has standard swingarm and forks, so my Pitbull stands will lift it just fine. I have a floor jack too.

The sole benefit of a center stand that I can think of would be to make it a little easier to patch a rear tire out on the road. I run Ride On in my tires now. If you can believe the advertising, it does a pretty remarkable job of sealing punctures. And even if it don't, I'm not sure the rubber cement for the patch would hold in a tire full of Ride On gel. Guess if I get a flat now, I'll be looking for a tow anyway.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 AM

Garage
One of my reasons for potentially buying the 2015 V1K is because it has a centre stand. On my test rides nothing scraped and I had it cranked over fairly well. I really like the Ninja 1000 however it has no centre stand and it is $1000 more than the V (here in Aus)

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Maverick, didn't know that. I'm after 1000 anyway, two up in comfort is a must for me. And with inseam 30" I'm worry about firmly footing in slow traffic. I hope lower gel seat will solve it. Plus, when two up, the weight will push bike even lower, so hopefully this will work, since it looks like lowering kit not an option anymore, because of a center stand issues.
When two up the bike shouldn't be lower if you adjusted the preload correctly for the additional weight. Maybe you should look at the ctx1300 Honda put out. Low seat height and V4 engine. I considered one until I found out they dropped the HP a lot from the 1300ST.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 PM

If you do 600 lbs squats one leg at a time, you'll have no problem.

Side and centerstands can be welded/cut to adapt, as a last resort; but yes, the seat is the easy way to lift it. I've got about 3" extra foam on the front to protect my privates from crashing into the tank with the sloped seat (Safety First!) I can probably optimize that with better angles and go to 2 pads from 3 pads. But I don't get any vibration fatigue at all now anyway.

Except tippy toe at redlights (or flat foot leaning bike over), its a dream when its rolling: the way it was engineered to do. You start changing critical angles lowering, you also change handling and braking characteristics. I figure if you stretch tippy toed enough, it will naturally stretch your legs and you will have 'buff' big toe muscles! Its better than leg cramps on a Honda VFR800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode