MCN write up on the 2010 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

MCN write up on the 2010 Versys

Good write up here re our Versys. Its a bit interesting to see the bike slowly appearing on the radar over here. Its a great piece of kit but deffinatly an aquired taste in the uk. click the link and have a look for yourself.

Stay the right way up and stay safe.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ys-first-ride/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM

The Versys seems to be a marketing problem everywhere. That is why it is so brilliant!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM

I dont see where he getting saying the vibration was a problem, I havent noticed any vibration.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 PM

I havent noticed the vibration either..................But its my first bike ever so what do i know.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Like that color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Why the hell can't we get that color over here? Ranting aside, I think Kawasaki has really done their homework on how to slowly make the bike better without losing their customer base. It's nice to see some of the small things get upgraded and fixed rather than a total redesign that alienates the current riders; the new 2010 Yamaha FZ8 is a perfect example of this. I know all of us aren't giving the 2010 Versys styling two-thumbs-up, but I think it will grow on us. Now, Kawasaki needs to add better colors (did you guys SEE that orange/yellow color?!?! ) and also ABS as an option.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM

I think that reviews dont really mean anything....

the real truths come out on forums like this, and we SHOULD tell each other our REAL experiences on the bike.

no reviewer would ever DARE to say the new (**&*( is a piece of crap, the color choices suck, and the company made a big mistake with this thing.....

speaking of mistakes, on the video, the orange color is just plastic inserts, so that kawasaki can make one, flat black, boring bike color on the assembly lines.... now THAT was a big [email protected]@
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM

WTF vibration are they talking about? Yes, the 2010 design may grow on us but so can fungus. Not always a good thing.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 AM

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM

There's all this discussion about the 're-design of the foot pegs to reduce vibration'. Not that I 've noticed a lot of vibration on the foot pegs but I wonder if they'll fit on an '09

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
Significant improvement? You mean my '09 is a piece of crap? Oh dear!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Significant improvement? You mean my '09 is a piece of crap? Oh dear!
Comparison is the sincerest form of flattery; in other words, its all good. Does anyone know if anyone on the forum actually has purchased a 2010 Versys?

My Album:
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Comparison is the sincerest form of flattery; in other words, its all good. Does anyone know if anyone on the forum actually has purchased a 2010 Versys?
I already asked, nobody's owning up to it.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 AM

Does anyone know when the 2010 Versys will even be available? I've talked to 3 dealerships, and none of them know, because none of them ordered any for 2010. Apparently 2009 was a bad year for bike sales and they are cautious about trying to sell a bike that isn't popular "in these here parts".

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Folks, the vibration problem, especially emanating from the upper cowling, is a well known and documented issue on this forum. The new rubber engine mounts should help this issue.

Also, I find it extremely funny that no one wants to hear that Kawasaki may have improved the '07-'09 model with this 2010. "How could Kawasaki mess with perfection?"

IMO, the orange/black on the 2010 is the best color so far.

Last edited by E-nigma; 02-01-2010 at 06:52 AM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 AM

Anything but that Black on Flat Black we got in the states. Just makes it look like someone messed up the gas tank.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
Folks, the vibration problem, especially emanating from the upper cowling, is a well known and documented issue on this forum. The new rubber engine mounts should help this issue.

Also, I find it extremely funny that no one wants to hear that Kawasaki may have improved the '07-'09 model with this 2010. "How could Kawasaki mess with perfection?"

IMO, the orange/black on the 2010 is the best color so far.
Good point, I forgot about that. I fixed the problem with a piece of sticky foam 1" X 1/2". The problem there is all the overlapping snap together plastics. I doubt the rubber motor mounts would have helped that and I don't think Kawasaki was trying to fix it with a new fairing design. Simply the usual 2 or 3 year styling change. IMO, not good. But all I saw was the black. I owned a 2002 ZRX1200R in green and it was brilliant, the same bike in silver was incredibly bland. I would choose earlier models over the 2010. The fairing, especially around the windshield is a BMW rip off, the Versys can stand on it's own.(except for those with the kick stand issue that is

Last edited by blipco; 02-01-2010 at 08:38 AM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

why is anyone getting worked up about this comment.. after all its from a journalist who rides god knows how many bikes in a year. it seems more likely he swallowed up the PR/Marketing bumpf from K and amplified it. ie K have said these are the changes we've made to improve the bike on last years model....

is there a vibration problem, some people think so, most do not.
for me the interesting comment was that the bike made it into a newspapers top 10 to go and see at the upcoming London bike show, so it looks like the relaunched model may well be heading for as much hype as the previous model.. lets hope so. I still think it would be a sad day if this bike appeared on the spotty kids radar. parts of its attraction to me is that it is a bit quirky visually, it seems to attract a slightly older more idiosyncratic ownership. equally if the leather clad baboon arsed brigade discover the bike that will equally be to its detriment

If he's used to riding silky smooth bikes, then hoping on a parallel twin is going to be more vibey... its part of the character of the bike. how oftne do you hear vibration mentioned in other bikes, such as V Twins or singles.. its part of the bike.

and like most things after you've been exposed to it for a little while the brain filters it away. After a long ride I have come back home with the hands buzzing and a sore arse.. but thats after 300 miles or so.....
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
why is anyone getting worked up about this comment.. after all its from a journalist who rides god knows how many bikes in a year. it seems more likely he swallowed up the PR/Marketing bumpf from K and amplified it. ie K have said these are the changes we've made to improve the bike on last years model....

is there a vibration problem, some people think so, most do not.
for me the interesting comment was that the bike made it into a newspapers top 10 to go and see at the upcoming London bike show, so it looks like the relaunched model may well be heading for as much hype as the previous model.. lets hope so. I still think it would be a sad day if this bike appeared on the spotty kids radar. parts of its attraction to me is that it is a bit quirky visually, it seems to attract a slightly older more idiosyncratic ownership. equally if the leather clad baboon arsed brigade discover the bike that will equally be to its detriment

If he's used to riding silky smooth bikes, then hoping on a parallel twin is going to be more vibey... its part of the character of the bike. how oftne do you hear vibration mentioned in other bikes, such as V Twins or singles.. its part of the bike.

and like most things after you've been exposed to it for a little while the brain filters it away. After a long ride I have come back home with the hands buzzing and a sore arse.. but thats after 300 miles or so.....
For me it was his "the Versys is a Jack of All Trades, Master of None" bit at the end that annoyed me. I kind of think it is a master of many things. That is the type of comment usually aimed at dual sports bikes, which is not what the Versys is about.

If you have numb hands after a 300 mile ride, your vibration is way worse than mine. I only feel a slight tingle in the footpegs in the lower gears around 4000 rpm, not a problem on long rides. I think you should check bolt tightness of your footpegs and engine mounts because it doesn't have to be that bad at all!

My Album:
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Does anyone know when the 2010 Versys will even be available? I've talked to 3 dealerships, and none of them know, because none of them ordered any for 2010. Apparently 2009 was a bad year for bike sales and they are cautious about trying to sell a bike that isn't popular "in these here parts".
I searched 2010 Versys and found one dealership that has a black 2010, new,
7598.00. That is the only one I could find, checked ebay and cycletrader.

http://www.motorcycle.com/classified...0110042FA.html

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 02-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode