Saturday Silliness. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saturday Silliness.

OR I need a Dope Slap.

I keep a eye on my gas mileage as I learned long ago it can tell you when somethings not quite right with a motor. If it drops you need to find out what's going on.

The last three tank fulls on the Versys as seen a 5-7mpg drop and I've been at a lost as to why.

Well the light came on today, not TOO bright maybe 15 watts! I changed the front sprocket to a 16 tooth when I did the chain. And after reading the post here it causes the odometer to read less than then true miles covered by about small amount and that's where my "Miles" went too!

BUt it's was a great day to ride here almost 75 and sunny, it's been in the low 50s and rainy for a couple of weeks and even the hard core have park the bikes. So you guys in the midwest ride it while you can because winter's on the way.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
beers many To

Did you find that you got to your destination faster as well?

You might also be traveling faster than the indicated speedo speed too... so watch it.

I'm running F16/R46 and My real speed vs indicated is about [email protected] and [email protected] and about [email protected]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
OR I need a Dope Slap.

I keep a eye on my gas mileage as I learned long ago it can tell you when somethings not quite right with a motor. If it drops you need to find out what's going on.

The last three tank fulls on the Versys as seen a 5-7mpg drop and I've been at a lost as to why.

Well the light came on today, not TOO bright maybe 15 watts! I changed the front sprocket to a 16 tooth when I did the chain. And after reading the post here it causes the odometer to read less than then true miles covered by about small amount and that's where my "Miles" went too!

BUt it's was a great day to ride here almost 75 and sunny, it's been in the low 50s and rainy for a couple of weeks and even the hard core have park the bikes. So you guys in the midwest ride it while you can because winter's on the way.
My mileage always drops in the winter. I don't know if it's because they use a different "winter" mix in the gas or if the V stays on choke longer. I do know that my commute is about 25 minutes and when it's cold (or even cool) the bike is still on high idle most of the trip.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
beers many To

Did you find that you got to your destination faster as well?

You might also be traveling faster than the indicated speedo speed too... so watch it.

I'm running F16/R46 and My real speed vs indicated is about [email protected] and [email protected] and about [email protected]
I checked it at a Radar Speed Limit sign here, they show the posted limit and have a radar that shows your speed, no ticket is sent! Before it was 33 at a posted 35, now it's 35 at 35. But you have a good point.

Plus I used my Galaxy with a GPS app and it's maybe a 1-2 slower at higher speeds, not enough for the police to worry about, unless you're in a school zone. Anyway I was taught to "Go with the flow" and that's what I do in traffic. On the back roads I mainly just putt along, slow and enjoying the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Saturday Silliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
My mileage always drops in the winter. I don't know if it's because they use a different "winter" mix in the gas or if the V stays on choke longer. I do know that my commute is about 25 minutes and when it's cold (or even cool) the bike is still on high idle most of the trip.

I wonder if you water temp is too low and ecu is compensating.

Maybe you need to cover up a small section of your radiator to keep the temp in normal operating range like the trucks do in the winters.

Cooler air is better for economy as that means more dense oxygen rich air per stroke. But if the engine stays cold then the ecu changes it map.

Last edited by Gigitt; 10-26-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder if you water temp is too low and ecu is compensating.

Maybe you need to cover up a small section of your radiator to keep the temp in normal operating range like the trucks do in the winters.
Better yet install a T-Bob.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Saturday Silliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Better yet install a T-Bob.

I was editing my post to write that LOL

I don't even live in freezing area and I have a Thermo-Bob.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was editing my post to write that LOL
Does't matter who posted it...it's still true.

I put one on the KLR and it could warm up on the ride in to work when it was in the 30s...all of 1 1/2 miles. Much better for the motor to get to operating temperature for everything from better gas mileage to longer life. The oil flows better and the higher temps boil off any moisture in the oil faster, you should see what the oil in my Buell looked like, big air cooled motors can't get hot enough to boil off the water in real cold temps and the oil ends up looking like Mayo!

Oh I want to say I'm NOT on Wattman,s payroll I just believe in the T-Bob.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode