Road Noise? Vibration? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Road Noise? Vibration?

I have just replaced my stock front tyre with a BT021 and are am now aware of a constant noise coming from the front of the bike. It can best be described as an incessant "whoooooooo", who's pitch is speed dependant and is noticed most easily between 10-60 km/h before motor and wind noise take over.

I took the bike back to the dealer on the same day. They lifted the front, took another look at calipers etc, rotated the wheel by hand and took the bike for a short ride. They assure me that the sound is road noise, but I find it particularly surprising that a sport/touring tyre would make such a loud sound, just rotating on a good road surface.

Also, although I cant be sure, and may now be imagining it, the bars could be a little more vibey than before.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas and experiences on this?

"Only dead fish go with the flow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 AM

How's your drive chain tension?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi Invader

Thanks for the response. The noise is definately from the front wheel, and appeared as soon as the new tyre was fitted. Chain tension seems pretty standard.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 AM

What's the tires pressure?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 AM

Front tire pressure should be 32 psi (2.2 bar, 220 kilopascal). Any evidence of something rubbing on tire? Do the front brakes function normally, and does the noise change under braking? Do the front brake calipers and pads seem to be properly installed?

Last edited by invader; 01-27-2010 at 04:48 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Pic of the tire might help someone solve this one? I just found this review of the tire, maybe interesting?

http://motorcycletirereviews.com/35-...tonebto21.html

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 01-27-2010 at 09:54 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Hi LAVersys and Invader

The dealer wanted to leave 2.8Bar in the tyre as I left the shop but I recalled that the manual said 2.0Bar, so got them to reduce pressure to that. Have now set to 2.2Bar.. no change to the "noise"

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Hi Invader

Good questions. When lifted off the ground the front wheel rotates freely and "installation" of the calipers looks normal, not that I am any expert. On the road, the front brakes are as regular as they have ever been and the only sound under braking, is the decrease in pitch of "the noise" as the wheel slows.

Element: Thanks for the reviews. They certainly indicate that its a performance tyre that is going to short change me in the millage department. Not a huge point in posting a pic as its a brand new tyre with no wear on it, but what I did realise is that it is vaguely possible that it is the manufacturing knobs/tabs which still protrude from the tyre that may be causing the noise??

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Different tread patterns create different sounds as they roll over different road surfaces. The Michelin Pilot Road tires I ran on my Honda ST1300 had an infamous "hum" that drove many ST riders nuts and got a significant mention in my review when Michelin gave me a set to try. Pilot Road 2's I run now on the ST are very quiet in comparison. The Distanzias I run on my Versys make more noise than the Dunlops it had when I bought it.

My guess is your original tires made some sort of noise that you grew accustomed to over time and distance, and now the new ones make a different and louder noise and it's drawn your attention.

Some tires are noisier than others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bones

This pretty much backs up what the dealer said to me but its SOOOOO loudddd. Lol

Admittedly the BT021 has a lot of across tread pattern, while the originals had a centre seam running along the circumference of the tyre.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM

OP, you've obviously never ridden a WeeStrom . My girlfriends Strom makes an incredible amount of noise from the road/wind reverberating around the space inside the front fairing. The V is much more desirable to the noise you get on that widely popular touring bike.

I guess what I'm saying is it's nothing to worry about, other bikes do it too, and hopefully you'll just get used to it or change tires manufacturers again in the future.

Bridgestone typically makes a very hard tire compared to say, Michelin. Good luck.

Last edited by Remy; 01-27-2010 at 10:58 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Do you use earplugs? You should, it'll save both your hearing and your worries about normal tire noise...

Gustavo

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm not familiar with that tire, but if it is in deed a directional tire, have you checked to see that is mounted correctly?

Check for directional arrow on sidewall and make sure it is rotating correctly.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Witch its the tire . I have one on the V now and I if you dont like the noise, your really not going to like the cupping that your going to be seeing . No matter what pressure you run . I have new tires standing by, there not 21s. hope it helps ,ride safe.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Earplugs.. Lol yes, on highway rides, but not commuting around town.

bscott, thanks.. the directional arrow is correct.

Bultaco, thanks for the feedback. I guess the mistake was to walk into the shop and have too many tyre options thrown at me without having done the research. Thankfully, tyres dont last, particularly the 021's it seems, so I wont have to put up with the noise for more than a year Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode