240 Mile commute twice a week - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

240 Mile commute twice a week

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing. I have a new contract gig in Houston, TX.
It will be a 240 mile commute in on Monday and out on Thursday. All highway.

Q1: How long do you think the V can take it?
Q2: Should I just cave and get the 2010 Concours ABS?

Caveat1: The wife will make me give up the 2009 Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM

That is not a commute, that's a road trip! I would get the Connie if you can afford it. That said, you are gonna miss the V, it's just more fun! If you decide to keep the V, I wonder if you have tried the 43 tooth sprocket, makes it much more of a highway cruiser.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

A. Longer than your will to not get a Concours 14

B. Yes, because it sounds like you want to based on wondering if the Versys can handle 500 miles a week of freeway droning.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
That is not a commute, that's a road trip! I would get the Connie if you can afford it. That said, you are gonna miss the V, it's just more fun! If you decide to keep the V, I wonder if you have tried the 43 tooth sprocket, makes it much more of a highway cruiser.
I have not tried the 43 tooth sprocket. Makes that much difference? Approximately 500rpms at 75mph?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2of3 View Post
I have not tried the 43 tooth sprocket. Makes that much difference? Approximately 500rpms at 75mph?
I added one tooth to the countershaft sprocket

+ It corrects the 10% error in the speedometer, it's very accurate now.
+ It smooths things out on the highway, the engine/bike feels smoother.
+ Given that I'm riding at the same "indicated speed", I'm actually traveling 10% faster, so I get to where I going sooner!
+ the chain is now slightly farther away from the swingarn chain guides. Less rubbing going on, so slightly quieter.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Wife gave me another option to trading the V for the C. She thinks I should keep the V and buy a Honda Fit. Actually think she has something going on along that thought line. Costs about the same. Insurance is less. Gas mileage is better. Dry and warm/cool.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM

I've done 400 mile round trips for lunch with no problems ,all stock, except peg lowering blocks.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I have no doubt the V can do the miles. But can it do it every week (reliably) for two years? A more appropriate question might be can I do it on the V for two years. Turning 49 next month.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:23 PM

With proper service I would think you could get 100k out of the "V".

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM

I commute 72 miles a day 5 days a week and have for the past 2 years; bikes aren't fragile, I am not sure why so many people worry about the life of the engine. Change the oil, plugs, filter and check the valves when called for and the engine will last just as long as any automotive engine if not longer.

FYR, highway riding, steady RPM, no traffic, etc causes very little stress on the engine.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2of3 View Post
Wife gave me another option to trading the V for the C. She thinks I should keep the V and buy a Honda Fit. Actually think she has something going on along that thought line. Costs about the same. Insurance is less. Gas mileage is better. Dry and warm/cool.
We bought an '09 Honda Fit Sport just over a year ago, and we love it! It can carry an unbeliveable amount of stuff in it. And its kinda sporty too. We fit a wooden roll-top desk and chair in it with room to spare. Great gas mileage too.

The only minus' on this car - in comparison to my Accord, the lighter Fit will notice the bumps in the road more than the Accord, the small sun visors don't cover much of the side windows, the driver leg room seems a bit short if you have long legs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gal_lg05[1].jpg (90.5 KB, 75 views)
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Decisions, decisions...
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

As much as I love riding the bike, I would go with the car. Especially in bad weather, the car wins hands down. If the decision were mine, it would be a no brainer, get the car for the commute, keep the V for fun...

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned with the mileage, but either sproket change with make the ride much more comfortable. You will find quite a few people on here that do that many miles on a regular basis. The V will cruise at highway speeds all day long.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM

(((I've done 400 mile round trips for lunch with no problems ,all stock, except peg lowering blocks. ))

What are peg lowering blocks?
Any pics?
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
As much as I love riding the bike, I would go with the car. Especially in bad weather, the car wins hands down. If the decision were mine, it would be a no brainer, get the car for the commute, keep the V for fun...
Texas has bad weather !!! , ??? .........

I would try and trick the wife .........*err , I mean "convince" her to take up riding , give her the V , and get the Connie for your long commutes .......and then just "borrow" the V on those days you miss it . It's a win-win .......

Seriously though , I would take the Concours if your doing that many miles consistently , I have ridden one and would buy it in a heartbeat for any type of long distance riding .......

** This space for rent **
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Only in Texas can it have a high of 65 degrees on monday, and then a high of 40 degrees on friday. Sun-shiney all day long and at the worst possible moment, severe thunderstorms.

Don't get me wrong; I love riding, but I would have to go with the Fit for this one. If you have a flat on the way, at least you will have a spare to change.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM

The V can take it just fine, but can you take the V that long? Seems everyone's tolerance for the V seat is different. Most of us have done the long haul weekends, so you should know how well you tolerate them.

That being said, the Concours is a hell of a bike, and if you can pick up a Connie now... you'd be surprised how fast a "Picked up a used Versys" can happen a little down the road
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM

So that's about a 3.5 to 4 hour commute. I would think you'd be less fatigued with the car and I'd imagine you'd have to take luggage too?

The honda fit is a great car and gets great mileage. Your tires will last a lot longer with the car too.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
So that's about a 3.5 to 4 hour commute. I would think you'd be less fatigued with the car and I'd imagine you'd have to take luggage too?

The honda fit is a great car and gets great mileage. Your tires will last a lot longer with the car too.
But with a Concourse it's only a 2.5 hour trip ............

All I can say is a picture is worth a thosand words......

Honda Fit ........... ( booo )

Kawasaki -super -awesome- cool- guy- bike 1400......( yeah )

I'm just sayin' ..........

** This space for rent **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode