New givi alu case - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

New givi alu case

Any of you seen the new givi alu cases called the Trekker. They are on the Canadian site, but cannot find them on the Us site. No price and an availability date of Jan 15th. They look good and seem to fit the regular givi rack (not the V35 rack)

http://givi.ca/en/gamme_detail.php?val=33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Woh, that's awesome! Wonder what the price is, can't be the 0 dollars it says on the site .
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Called Givi Canada, they don't expect them before mid summer and do not have pricing yet, but they say they will be lower priced than the BMW cases (how can you be higher!). They come in 46L model and 33L model.

here is the link for the 33L
http://www.givi.ca/en/gamme_detail.php?val=34

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
vp7

Those definitely look great, too bad I already have the other Givis.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 AM

Fellow V's those are awsome looking! I also have the 21's but might part for some aluminum ones

Redeemed by the Grace of God
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM

What's the benefit?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM

I've had Givi plastic crack in cold weather. That's why I went this direction with SW-Motech.

Maloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
What's the benefit?

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
What's the benefit?

Mostly cosmetic. I've had lots of Givi plastic cases (so do many other year around riders I know) and I've never had or heard of a bag cracking like Maloy's due to cold weather, even after years in service (but I have a couple of cases that are starting to become more white than gray from UV exposure)

What most people don't consider is the downside of aluminum boxes like that - aerodynamics and weight. Lightweight aluminum boxes are available, but are not as durable. The heavier weight boxes are a lot more durable than plastic, but add a ton of weight to your bike.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Givi always make good gear. But I don't like the added weight, I use soft saddlebags and never had a problem. The few items of value (cell, GPS, camera etc) I carry when I travel go in my small Givi topbox when I leave them with the bike-mostly I carry them with me.

Any time I get back from a motel or camping trip on the V, I always try and throw some items out to save weight and space.

My latest effort is an REI mini towel. Buddy of mine DW loaned me his on a camping trip we did last year. Even with my non-svelte body managed to dry me completely and the towel was still mostly dry.

Machog

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Gustavo,

The dealership accused me of using Armor-all, or something like it on the cases, or overloaded them. They basically claimed I hadn't taken care of them, and exposed them to something. The Givi's cracked around the hinge area after 18 months, and Shad's did it less than a year. A JC Whitney top box lasted one season.

I'm just one of those people that if it is unbreakable or plastic, I'll accidentally break it without trying. Aluminum has held up great for me. I have bad luck with things made of plastic. Heck the tray under my Versys seat has cracked right where the tool kit sits. It's like the rubber bungee has pulled it apart. There isn't a sign of an impact from underneath, nor do I recall ever bottoming out the suspension.

I just seem to have bad luck if it is made from plastic. So I go for function rather than form.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
These new Givi bags LOOK great. They would look really good on my Versys or VStrom.

However, they look like they don't open very far, as they look hinged high up on the box, as if only the top quarter of the bag opens.

Also, I don't think the mounting points of Givi luggage racks are very robust compared to other "adventure" type options.

Still, I could see myself selling my existing Givi luggage to purchase these new bags.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
Gustavo,

The dealership accused me of using Armor-all, or something like it on the cases, or overloaded them. They basically claimed I hadn't taken care of them, and exposed them to something. The Givi's cracked around the hinge area after 18 months, and Shad's did it less than a year. A JC Whitney top box lasted one season.
I think you should either slow down on the bumpy backroads when you are transporting your latest victim in the plastic cases, or don't load so many body parts at once. I think you are over-stressing the cases.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 PM

OK, so after Maloy clarified the problem, I think that for everybody else, it's safe to use plastic cases. At least as long as you don't let him get too close to your bike or bags...

Seriously, I rode two up through Mexico (both paved and unpaved roads) for 8K miles and a super-overloaded Givi Maxia top case (my wife does not understand the concept of packing light) and it had no issue. Mind you, this was a 4 year old bag already, so it was well broken in by then...

I still have and use that bag in the picture on the V-Strom, it's 9 years old now.

Gustavo

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't know how, the only things I keep in them is a sweat shirt, my Frogg Toggs, helmet net, small socket set (2lbs top), digital air pressure gage, extra gloves, spare safety glasses, camera, and about 8 AA batteries, and gps mount.

maloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
I think you should either slow down on the bumpy backroads when you are transporting your latest victim in the plastic cases, or don't load so many body parts at once. I think you are over-stressing the cases.

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 PM

These look cool. I like how thin they are. I could probably still lane-share easily enough with them on. That's a necessity for me.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Prices are out on the Givi Canadian website:

Trekker 33L - $379.99 CDN
Trekker 46L - $399.99 CDN

Availability is July 15th, but they have been pushing it out regularly.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Hmmm...I can see getting the side cases, but I'm not too big on the top case.

Why does looking at this top case ($399) remind me of the Action Packer for $25 from Walmart?

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 07-06-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Replaced linked images with urls
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
These new Givi bags LOOK great. They would look really good on my Versys or VStrom.

However, they look like they don't open very far, as they look hinged high up on the box, as if only the top quarter of the bag opens.

Also, I don't think the mounting points of Givi luggage racks are very robust compared to other "adventure" type options.

Still, I could see myself selling my existing Givi luggage to purchase these new bags.
They have two hinges....
from the Givi site:

"Thanks to special selectors placed inside the bags, you can convert each version to either to fully open the entire lid or only the uppermost smaller opening (very practical for quickly accessing items from the bag, avoiding any ill timed spilling the whole contents"
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Prices are out on the Givi Canadian website:

Trekker 33L - $379.99 CDN
Trekker 46L - $399.99 CDN

Availability is July 15th, but they have been pushing it out regularly.
US Conversion:

Trekker 33L - $360.62 US
Trekker 46L - $379.61 US

I just lost interest. Buying a set of these would set you back $1,100.85

By comparison, a set of 2 Givi E36's are $165 each, and an E45 top box is $167; Total $497
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
US Conversion:

Trekker 33L - $360.62 US
Trekker 46L - $379.61 US

I just lost interest. Buying a set of these would set you back $1,100.85

By comparison, a set of 2 Givi E36's are $165 each, and an E45 top box is $167; Total $497
That is all I need to see. The silver is nice, but that is indeed quite a cost difference.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode