A story for the amusement of others - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A story for the amusement of others

I've never been against describing my somewhat foolish escapades for the amusement of others, so I bring you the story of getting new tires.

I've only had the versys for a little over a year, and it's the first motorcycle I've owned. I actually went straight from the safety training course to the DMV to get the endorsement on my license, and bought the bike the next morning (after a somewhat intimidating test ride which was my very first time riding a bike on the street). I wore out my first set of tires in about 6 months, and took the easy way out of dropping the bike off at the dealer and having them changed.

A few days ago, it was once again time for a new tire. I looked at the bike parked in the garage, read a few of the threads here, and decided that taking the wheel off myself wasn't really all that hard. I went slowly, staring at things a bit to make sure I wasn't breaking anything, but even with that had a loose wheel on the garage floor in about 20 minutes. Sure enough, the only real skill you need to take a wheel off is to know which direction to turn to loosen a bolt.

For some reason, it hadn't occurred to me that the sprocket and disk would still be connected to the wheel - that certainly doesn't happen on my car (and yes - I know that my car doesn't even have a sprocket). I wasn't sure if I should take them off or not, so I decided to compromise by throwing both the wheel and some tools in the back of the car. That way if they did need to be removed, I could do it right there in the parking lot. I was however fully expecting to get the sad, disappointed look when I showed up with them still on the wheel that only male mechanics seem to have mastered giving to women.

Sure enough, when I got there, the guy at the counter told me that they couldn't balance the wheel with the sprocket on. I was about to carry the wheel back to the car to take it off, but he quickly walked around the counter, laid the wheel down on the floor, and proceeded to pull on the sprocket.

I was thinking - OK - even I'm not silly enough to try to pull off a sprocket without taking out the bolts. I was therefore quite surprised when the sprocket came off in his hands. He put it in a bag, handed it to me to keep, and carried the wheel back to garage.

Who knew that there was a rubber mount between the sprocket and the wheel. I've always wondered how the chain could possibly deal with the stress of being directly connected to the wheel .

Anyway - there is a happy ending. The wheel is back on and I had a very nice ride this evening. Next time, maybe I'll try changing the tire too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
good on you for doing it yourself the fun part is putting them back on and lining them up and alineing your chain
the sprocket if mounted in rubber to reduce vibration from engine surging
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 11:37 PM

Tire changes

Oh, you have much to learn about tubelees tire cajhnges Grasshopper! Get tin the whell off/ then back on is the easy part! A few tools are required for the rough part?

Lean/Two

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now you've gone and done it !

One thing leads to another... soon you'll be buying more wrenches and hammers and duct tape and WD40 and... and....

OMG !!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creirwy View Post
I've never been against describing my somewhat foolish escapades for the amusement of others, so I bring you the story of getting new tires.

I've only had the versys for a little over a year, and it's the first motorcycle I've owned. I actually went straight from the safety training course to the DMV to get the endorsement on my license, and bought the bike the next morning (after a somewhat intimidating test ride which was my very first time riding a bike on the street). I wore out my first set of tires in about 6 months, and took the easy way out of dropping the bike off at the dealer and having them changed.

A few days ago, it was once again time for a new tire. I looked at the bike parked in the garage, read a few of the threads here, and decided that taking the wheel off myself wasn't really all that hard. I went slowly, staring at things a bit to make sure I wasn't breaking anything, but even with that had a loose wheel on the garage floor in about 20 minutes. Sure enough, the only real skill you need to take a wheel off is to know which direction to turn to loosen a bolt.

For some reason, it hadn't occurred to me that the sprocket and disk would still be connected to the wheel - that certainly doesn't happen on my car (and yes - I know that my car doesn't even have a sprocket). I wasn't sure if I should take them off or not, so I decided to compromise by throwing both the wheel and some tools in the back of the car. That way if they did need to be removed, I could do it right there in the parking lot. I was however fully expecting to get the sad, disappointed look when I showed up with them still on the wheel that only male mechanics seem to have mastered giving to women.

Sure enough, when I got there, the guy at the counter told me that they couldn't balance the wheel with the sprocket on. I was about to carry the wheel back to the car to take it off, but he quickly walked around the counter, laid the wheel down on the floor, and proceeded to pull on the sprocket.

I was thinking - OK - even I'm not silly enough to try to pull off a sprocket without taking out the bolts. I was therefore quite surprised when the sprocket came off in his hands. He put it in a bag, handed it to me to keep, and carried the wheel back to garage.

Who knew that there was a rubber mount between the sprocket and the wheel. I've always wondered how the chain could possibly deal with the stress of being directly connected to the wheel .

Anyway - there is a happy ending. The wheel is back on and I had a very nice ride this evening. Next time, maybe I'll try changing the tire too.
I have a 07 purchased in 08, I have replaced the rear three times, the last time I was present when they changed the tire, I also was amused when they pulled the sprocket off . Next time I will leave it at home--------learn something new every day, only problem is I forget almost as fast.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 PM

Garage
I have bought $200 worth dollars of tool in the last few weeks

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:26 AM

Why on earth would you take the sprocket off to balance the wheel?!

Does it not spin with the wheel as the bike is running?!

Surely any imbalances in the sprocket and carrier need to be accounted for as well?

I've never seen them take the sprocket off in the UK or here in Germany. Seems like taking all your farkles off, setting your suspension, and then putting the farkles back on!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Putting on the wheel is a two person job. One to lift the wheel in place and one to slide the Axel bolt in place.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Putting on the wheel is a two person job. One to lift the wheel in place and one to slide the Axel bolt in place.
Do it by my lonesome all the time. I found this wonderful tool called the lever, slip a 1x6 under the wheel over a suitable pivot . Lift with one hand, push with the other.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 AM

I usually slip the toe of my boot under the wheel and use my foot to lift the wheel, left hand to balance it and align it with the holes and right hand to slide the bolt in.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
with my cafe (gs550l) id use a tow strap to lift and hold the wheel in place as i put the axle and spacers in
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Somewhere on this site is a link to the service manual. Sounds like your gonna want to have it handy. Welcome to the fine art of motorcycle repair..
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I usually slip the toe of my boot under the wheel and use my foot to lift the wheel, left hand to balance it and align it with the holes and right hand to slide the bolt in.
same here.. get spacers, brake, etc between the swingarm. Use my toes to lift the tire and handle the vertical, one hand for fine adjustments and free hand to push the axle through. After the axle is in, then I remember I forgot to put the chain on the sprocket and start over.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Do it by my lonesome all the time. I found this wonderful tool called the lever, slip a 1x6 under the wheel over a suitable pivot . Lift with one hand, push with the other.
+1 on the lever.

I sit on the garage floor, place the back of my knee on the 1x4 wood lever, the weight of my leg lifts the wheel, my left hand guides and aligns the wheel, and my right hand inserts the axel. When the left spacer falls out, repeat until success is achieved.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Garage
Shape up guys

I get my service done at my dealer for all sorts of reason that don't need to be explained in this thread

They do a very nice job and at a fair price (at least to my wallet)

It's always the same person that works on my bike, named Marie (yes, a woman and skinny at that) AND she did my tire change all alone

LOP
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black dog View Post
do it by my lonesome all the time. I found this wonderful tool called the lever, slip a 1x6 under the wheel over a suitable pivot . Lift with one hand, push with the other.
x 2...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode