2013/14 or wait for a 2015? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2013/14 or wait for a 2015?

Hi All - I ride a Ninja 650 (for those that haven't seen me on riderforums) and have perhaps an opportunity to sell the Ninja and then if I had tons of $ then I could wait for a 2015 Versys LT or Tiger.... BUT as usual and because I am a cheap [email protected]$^[email protected]#, Money is the issue - so

The 2015 is supposed to have more Torque and power than the 2010-14's

PLUS we do NOT know what the 2015 prices will be for sure in the US (unless I missed it - do share if you know)

For sure a new one will be more than a 2011-14 ABS if done right

Second, there are a few 2011's in my area that have SW motech engine guards, skid plates, GIVI bags etc - just no ABS..... as well as quite a few leftovers......

Hmmmm. I don't know that there really is an answer to a question - so many ways to go. I guess the question I could ask, what, if anything, are you guys thinking in light of the new model upgrades? What pros and cons can you think of re: 2011-4 vs. a 2015 if you were to come from a NON Versys bike.....

What general musings are you having?

Thanks for your patience with my vagueness................I know I plan to change bikes sometime during the next 48 months and pending a lottery win or a huge raise - I am leaning strongly towards the V.......but as I have said before, thats what it is today, last week it was a Speed Triple.... but today its a V....

Pleaes let chime in and

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
get a older one and save your money ..... you dont need abs just 2-3 finger the front brake and pay attention and you should never lock the brakes up
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
get a older one and save your money ..... you dont need abs just 2-3 finger the front brake and pay attention and you should never lock the brakes up
Unless you train for that oh crap moment you will lock them up when it happens. But don't worry, you can just say "I had to lay her down". LOL!

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Garage
I wouldn't limit your search to just your area. After the MotoGP races in Indy, there was a dealer selling the track safety bikes as brand new bikes with warranty and only 50 to 100 miles for $4500. These were brand new 2014s. Found them on Cycletrader and was very tempted.

I personally like the 2nd gen Versys because it is unique looking. The 3rd gen looks more like all the others. I even saw a scooter the other day that looked like a sport bike from the front. Give me a break!

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I wouldn't limit your search to just your area. After the MotoGP races in Indy, there was a dealer selling the track safety bikes as brand new bikes with warranty and only 50 to 100 miles for $4500. These were brand new 2014s. Found them on Cycletrader and was very tempted.

I personally like the 2nd gen Versys because it is unique looking. The 3rd gen looks more like all the others. I even saw a scooter the other day that looked like a sport bike from the front. Give me a break!
- limit to area - no - I won't but I am an analytic and would have to do cost benefit to include gas and time to go get/ship to house (I know, weird!)

- Looks - I too would lean to the V2 because - not many around - unique bike 10 years from now.... if I keep it that long. which I think I may if I do this...
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM

As much as I like the new Versys I also don't like it. I don't like just one head light is on. Makes the bike look there's a bulb out. I do like the factory saddle bags better and over all fit but the front light is so different its going to have to grow on me a while. For years I wanted a Versys because it was such a unique bike from the front. Now the 2015 looks like all the rest. Jurys out.

3 months ago I bought a 2010 for 4500 with only 2200 miles. Check Craigs list. If ABS is not required you can find a great low mileage used bike and use the money saved for upgrades.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:13 PM

If I wasn’t going to buy a ’15 V1000, the improvements for ’15 V650 would be enough for me to trade my ’12 V650 on the ’15.

IMHO I wouldn’t touch a ’14 or below V650 knowing what the ’15 is going to be.

I guess it depends on your need. The ’15 would meet my needs as a rider/daily commuter better than a ’14 and below.

Last edited by Wonker; 10-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Unless you train for that oh crap moment you will lock them up when it happens. But don't worry, you can just say "I had to lay her down". LOL!
"I had to lay her down." - I love it! Translation: I consciously decided to relinquish control and become a passenger.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 PM

I waited to see what the 2015 had to offer and when it came out I jumped on a 2014. The '15 looks like a VStrom.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:23 AM

I think you should get the Speed Triple.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 AM

I personally like the 2nd gen much better than the 3rd gen as some have said. I think the new one calls out the familiarity with other Kawasaki line of models.
I recently bought a 2013 used (near new) in Sydney. I am glad I took this decision after seeing the new 2015 Versys in photos. I have not ridden the bike that much however I like the vertically stacked headlights.
The new version has better performance numbers so to speak I think power has been increased from 64 to 69 bhp. Its not too much of a change but its always welcome
I love the Uniqueness of the Versys overall and it is a FUN bike!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had this same dilemma, but it was on an FJR1300. There were brand new '13's and '14's available at the local dealer ($15,800 MSRP).

$12,500 for a 2014
$11,000 for a 2013

The '15's were due to hit the show room floors any day......
I got a '13.

In my mind... if I were a value-oriented buyer, then I would look for a slightly used bike. Something that the previous owner had added many accessories (the ones that you want). We all forget the cost of accessories..... Not unusual to drop $1,000 on a new bike.... adding bits.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Second gen is better looking (opinion), and third gen is (probably) slightly better. It's all about how much money you want to save? If your answer is none go for a new one, but if you want to save enough money to make those upgrades yourself get a left over 13/14 for cheap $$.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 AM

If money's the consideration, get a 2013 Versys or even a first-generation 2008-9., which look better anyway in my opinion. If not, and you like buying new, get the 2015. It's "new and improved."
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM

I'd wait for the '15:

- ABS is a must, to me. That is why I replaced my '10 with the '14 as soon as they were available.
- ABS will command a higher resale value.
- The MK2 resale will drop once the MK3 hits the dealerships.
- The range on the current one is good, but those extra 2 liters can come handy.
- More power and better MPGs? When touring gas eats up a significan portion of your budget, it's the second thing you spend the most money on after lodging (unless you camp)
- Better suspension. Springs, valves and shock to fix the piss poor suspension on the MK1/MK2 will set you back at least $1K.

The '15 has some of the things I spent money fixing on my '14, so to me it would be a no brainer to get the '15.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM

I had read about the larger tank, and that would be enough for me to choose the '15. If there's better fuel economy and more power, it would be even better.

IMO the biggest weakness of the gen2 was suspension. Mine is dealt with, and it didn't cost too much. But if the '15 really is better, that's an added bonus. I noticed it still only has damping in one leg. I think the change I saw was it only has a spring on one leg too (the other leg). It seems like that would make servicing harder, since you have twice as stiff a spring to compress to assemble that leg. Though it might be a lot easier to work on the damping side.

Looks? I didn't buy the gen 2 for looks, but they're fine with me. As is the new model. Strong preference for a dual headlight bikes if both lights are lit on low beam. I might have read that only one light is on for low beam on this bike? Not my preference.

Never had ABS on a bike myself. I wanted it though, and almost passed on the Versys for that reason.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
5 (count 'em)..5 additional horsepower in the '15..need i say more??
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:11 PM

If I were shopping for another bike I would look primarily at the 2014 and 2015 Versys because of the ABS. Straight line emergency braking is easy but not all emergencies happen when you are traveling in a straight line or on dry roads. I question my ability to emergency brake in a curve on wet roads because I don't practice it enough to overcome the instinct to immediately pull hard on the lever or push hard on the pedal.
I really like the looks of the 2015 much better then the looks of the 2014 but I don't know yet if the additional money I would pay for a 15 would matter as much as the shape of the headlights. I can't see my headlights when I'm riding.
The additional HP means nothing to me.
On a side note, do we know for sure only one headlight is lit on low beam? I think I recall seeing a photo of both lights on, riding on low beam.

Last edited by ray h; 10-25-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
IMO the biggest weakness of the gen2 was suspension. Mine is dealt with, and it didn't cost too much. But if the '15 really is better, that's an added bonus. I noticed it still only has damping in one leg. I think the change I saw was it only has a spring on one leg too (the other leg). It seems like that would make servicing harder, since you have twice as stiff a spring to compress to assemble that leg. Though it might be a lot easier to work on the damping side.
For some reason I assumed the 2015 had separate function forks, but it seems that we'll get the same dummy cartridge, just different settings...

Well, still worth it just because of the extra power. Remains to be seen if they did indeed work out the Versys engine or if they just put in there the Ninja engine.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM

Here's my prediction on the 2015 version - it's mostly marketing BS.

The ABS was available on the 2014 models, so different styling and slightly larger tank are the main differences. Just like when they went from the Gen 1 to Gen 2 with a lot of marketing hoopla with supposed improved suspension and rubber damped mounts that ended up being insignificant or unfounded. Looking at the pictures, it's going to be the same way, again.

It looks like they put the Ninja 650 motor in the Versys (10.8:1 comp ratio). This will give a few more horsepower (4, according to the last MCN test) and a fraction of a lb-ft of extra toque, but the Ninja didn't get better mileage than the Versys (49 vs. 51.5), so the additional mileage claim is yet to be tested.

BTW, the suspension on the bikes that were shown in the different MC shows and press kits have no preload adjustment in the right fork leg:

Maybe a pre-production problem. Maybe they saved some cost on the first year of the Gen 3 models by making the forks even cheaper...

And I agree, the older bikes look distinctive (especially the first gen, but I am biased ). The new ones look like another sport bike.

If you want a Versys, I'd get a screaming deal on the older bikes. I see unbelievable deals almost daily on low mileage bikes, some with very nice accessories already added at almost no extra cost.

Gustavo

Last edited by Gustavo; 10-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode