Totaled the old V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry Totaled the old V

Well guys (and gals) I smashed up the Versys on Friday.

Deer jumped out and hit me as I was mid corner...

Waiting to meet up with the Insurance adjuster tomorrow to see what the "total loss" payout will be.

Was wearing all my gear, Aerostich roadcrafter, boots, helmet etc. Just some swelling on my right hand from the impact and full body soreness. I got off lucky.

Poor bike

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 11-03-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
auch! glad to hear you're ok (almost)
nice road you have there...

were you able to "ride" it home?

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Get all your receipts if you have them. If not pull the prices off the internet of anything you put on it. When i got hit by a car my insurance paid full replacement price for anything that had a scratch on it. Glad you weren't too banged up...Will you be having Venison for dinner...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:14 PM

glad you're okay. Damn deer are the only thing I worry about when riding, they are so stupid and unpredictable.

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, so you have collision coverage on your insurance? The deer left the scene of the accident? I hope it realizes the harm it caused.

Last edited by invader; 10-19-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM

Ouch! That bites. Glad you're OK.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Glad to hear you are not seriously injured...that looks very close to that guardrail, and hitting that would have been painful. The bike can be replaced.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you were OK and wearing gear.

Wrote off my 2008 Versys at the end of the summer. After researching the best bike I could get in my price range, replaced my 2008 Versys with a 2010 Versys with the insurance money. Now's a good time to buy as prices are lower in the fall than spring. Insurance will usually pay for damaged gear too as well as physiotherapy for your wrist.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
MAN! Sorry to hear that brother. Glad you made it out in semi decent shape. Did you at least get to salvage the deer? I guess you can start looking at the 2015's now

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Glad you're OK. Deer scare the crap out of me.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Thankfully i do have full coverage insurance. I better! As the Versys is my only mode of transportation.

I have compiled all the receipts I can get my hands on, and have started pulling prices off the internet for farkles and gear.

I was able to ride it home, after a local mountain mechanic helped me out. We straightened the bars back to a rideable position, bled the front brake and took off all the busted stuff. The forks are tweaked so it has a slight shimmy at high speeds in corners. But I made it! Defiantly sore today, that happens after a brutal impact with pavement..

To be honest, I am not sure I want another Versys. I've really enjoyed every second in the saddle. I've had the bike for about a year and a half now. The longest I've ever owned one bike continuously. ( Usually I go through 2-4 bikes a year as I have a large list of "Bikes to Own") The V's engine has always left something to be desired. Even with the Power Commander and Full Muzzy exhaust (huge boost in power!) it still is just "meh" Pair that with the top heavy feeling of the V... It just isn't doing it for me anymore.

I may pick up a SV1000 here depending on insurance pay out. I've always been partial to the suzuki twins, I've only had 3 of the little 650's. But it'll get the full street fighter treatment. Dirt bars, dominator headlights, top case, etc. But that all depends on insurance again.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 10-19-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Glad to hear that your ok. Good luck. Keep us posted.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Condolences on the potential loss of the bike, and like everyone else, glad you are still with us.

Hope you get an upgrade/bike in the end to ease the pain.

Good reminder to hang onto receipts, I been stuffing them in my shop manual, I guess I should start a VERS folder....

Give us the update when you determine the direction you get to go.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 AM

Garage
Glad you ok sorry about the V
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 AM

Been there, done that. Hit a deer at 80mph on an FJR and stayed up! Sounds like you came out OK for a spill. Negotiate for retail plus accessories...

2013 White V

Marty in Kerrville
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Wow, so you have collision coverage on your insurance? The deer left the scene of the accident? I hope it realizes the harm it caused.
You don't need collision for an animal strike. Comprehensive covers those wrecks.

To the OP, where and what time of day did this happen? I rarely see deer during the daylight hours and only in IL, and VA.

Hitting a deer and impared drivers are what keeps me wearing my gear.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 AM

Yikes no fun. Glad you walked away. soooo..... second gen V or third gen V next?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM

Yeah, glad you're OK and that the gear did the job for you.
There are a lot of bikes out there with more poke than the V. And the DL1000 is a lot faster. I did a bikeswap with a buddy on a ride up through WA Cascades. Top heavy? Or just damn heavy, I don't know. Once I got it off the sidestand it felt a little better. The front wheel was way out in front tho, and steering inputs felt more like what you'd give to a 60's era ICBM. The bike was loaded for a trip to Alaska with full Panniers and a set of Hiedenau's. Pretty much like you'd have it! Just remember, the faster you're going, the longer it takes to stop. Actually, on that thing you just might want to add more thrust and blast right through!
Post-script; my buddy sold the Strom after the trip and bought a nice used 2010 Versys. I guess the swap made a better impression on him than it did on me!
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

It happened at about 5pm or so on Friday evening up in the mountains of WV. Deer are all over the place up there! This was a total freak accident. It the dear had not have hit me at such and odd angle, in the middle of a corner I may have had a better chance of staying up right.

I would never dream of buying a DL1000, total garbage. I love the SV's (with propper gsxr suspension swaps) but the DL's are poop.

Hooligan
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
man dear are on a rampage this year... my buddy totaled his rebel little over a month ago. glad you cam out ok hope your insurance gives you a new bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode