first semi-serious gravel riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
first semi-serious gravel riding

I spent a day riding with a bunch of adv-bikes on my '10 Versys in the Va\WV mountains. I was sporting PR4s, slightly aired down vs everybody else on GS's with tkc's, etc.. It was just gravel F/S roads, nothing extreme. There was definitely some sliding around that better suited tires would fix to some degree but the bike did very well. When we set out I was prepared to fade way back and catch up at intersections but was able to hang right in the middle of the pack. I also managed to pick my way up a loose gravelly climb to a hilltop with a couple of wr250r's.. (it was nothing for them and a struggle for me but I made it, givi trunk and all) Lots more confidence in the V now in this role. I may go all jdrocks on this thing.

anyway, big fun! Can't wait to do it again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Seeing that you're from Central, VA. Where is the location that you went to for this? I am interested.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive done a few gravel roads on my 08 with street tires on o.o sliding side to side is fun =p (did i mention i was 2 up)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM

I've done a handful of maintained gravel roads as well with street tires. The Versys definitely handles it OK. Yeah, more gravel oriented tires would be a little more confidence inspiring, but it's not necessary.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
That's what I'm talking about! A properly equipped ADVersys is a wonderful thing. With the right tires and motivation you can take your V so many more places. Don't listen to all the nay sayers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
That's what I'm talking about! A properly equipped ADVersys is a wonderful thing. With the right tires and motivation you can take your V so many more places. Don't listen to all the nay sayers.
Just DON'T forget... you can NOT ride a Versys in the dirt...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just DON'T forget... you can NOT ride a Versys in the dirt...!

-

I know, I know.......the Versys will never be a good adventure bike, right?

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
<.< i toured japan (alot of offroad) on a way over loaded seca 2 turbo it was......interesting.....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Yea, the WR250R is a nice bike. About as cabable an off road machine you can get in a bike that will hold 85 mph.

You were probably better planted than you realized. Just first time "eyes wide open" mentality.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

It shouldn't be a big surprise that the V does as well as it does.. all it takes is a few basic ingredients.. light(ish), ground clearance, rear wheel weight bias. The bike has these covered. now about those tires..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Garage
It it is truly a gravel road, it doesn't matter what tires you run. You will be sliding around. Now if it is a Chert road or dirt road that is one thing, but gravel roads make of rounded crushed rock are real fun to slide around on. Of course over time the gravel migrates to the edge of the road and the area compacted by vehicle tires can form a surface suitable for riding even street bikes on.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode