Dealership refuses tire change - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dealership refuses tire change

A few days ago, I rode up to the dealership where I bought my Versys to see about getting a new tire I had purchased online put on the rear. Now I've worked in shops and know how they prefer you purchase the tires in-house, and I was prepared to pay a bit extra for sidestepping the shop markup by bringing in a damn 'internet tire'.

But to my surprise, the salesmen up front quickly informed me they were UNABLE to even change the tire because of 'liability'. He said because I hadn't purchased the tire through them, they could not guarantee it's safe mounting and operation. I told them I didn't want a frickin' lifetime warranty, just a tire mounted and balanced, but they wouldn't budge. Upon telling them this was the first time I had EVER heard of this kind of policy at a motorsports shop, large or small, one smugly said it was 'pretty much universal policy' and that I might find some 'backyard mechanic' who could do the work but would probably 'mess it all up'.

Just to make sure, I walked back to the service department and talked to someone who looked like they actually touched a wrench, and they confirmed the liability blahblah.

I have stopped into this dealership 3-4 times since I bought the bike in March and have always left annoyed and empty handed. This was kind of the last straw. The upside was that I found a good mom and pop on my way home who were very courteous and did the work for $55.

Has anyone ever been refused service at their dealership because they didn't always use their shop parts? This place is the biggest shop in town and even has a couple more locations in the region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Garage
I've heard of dealers charging extra if the tire was not bought there, but never the refusal you describe. Sounds like bad business.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
That is why many of us do all our own work. $55 to change out a tire is crazy. I pay $5 cash to change out a tire. I bring in the wheel and they swap it out. I go back home and balance it and put it on. I have changed them myself, but for $5 it is a no brainer.

Some dealers will match internet prices. Maybe you should have tried that route first. How close to the base is that dealer located? I have noticed that dealers near military bases tend to have policies that take advantage of our young service members who have money burning a hole in their pockets.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

They don't match internet prices and didn't even carry the tire I wanted (Tourance 150/70). The dealership is Hall's Motorsports in Mobile, AL so it was far enough from NAS Pensacola where ripping off junior enlisted shouldn't be a factor.

As far as the folks who did the work, I didn't think $55 was outrageous...I was on my motorbike with the new tire strapped to the back, and they did an excellent job (cleaned the rim, lubed chain, balanced and aligned). Definitely plan on going through them to replace the front tire in a few thousand miles...the mechanic was a KLR enthusiast and was stoked when I let him test ride the V

twowheeladdict, If I had a fleet as large as yours and the tire wear that entails, you bet I'd find someone to do it for <$10 on the regular

Last edited by fraz; 10-16-2014 at 03:00 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The dealership i bought my Versys from in Ft.Worth TX. had a great service manager and mechanics. They installed my alarm and all kinds of others goodies i bought off the internet. Most times charging me well less the actual time it took them. When i came out to California i needed new tires and ordered them on line. Went to the nearest Kawi-Dealer and they quoted me a fair price then he asked if i had already bought my tires. I said yes and he said well then It'll be $150.00 to mount both tires Twice of the quote if i bought from them. I went out to my bike took out the chain cleaner and a bunch of other stuff i just purchased from them and got a refund. Went onto Motorcycle SuperStores web-site and look up their preferred installers and found a great shop where i now take my bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:07 PM

My local Kawasaki dealer charges $55 on the bike and $37.50 removed.
They almost act relieved that I bring in my own tire instead of having them look up what it is that I want.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Buy the tools and do it yourself. The tools will cost the same as one tire install and will last a lifetime. Changing tires is not hard or time consuming and will take less time than going to the dealer.

2-3 tire spoons, one with a long handle
rim protectors
valve core tool to unscrew the valve core
bead breaker (important)
tire lube (windex works well)
1oz balance beads for the front, 2 oz for the rear tire - dump the beads in the tire with a folded sheet of paper when bottom bead is on but top bead has not yet been pried on.

See how to videos on YouTube.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-16-2014 at 08:55 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 AM

if you change enough tires look at this option no mar tire machine
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

Last edited by Motojunkee; 10-17-2014 at 01:46 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
A few days ago, I rode up to the dealership where I bought my Versys to see about getting a new tire I had purchased online put on the rear. Now I've worked in shops and know how they prefer you purchase the tires in-house, and I was prepared to pay a bit extra for sidestepping the shop markup by bringing in a damn 'internet tire'.

But to my surprise, the salesmen up front quickly informed me they were UNABLE to even change the tire because of 'liability'. He said because I hadn't purchased the tire through them, they could not guarantee it's safe mounting and operation. I told them I didn't want a frickin' lifetime warranty, just a tire mounted and balanced, but they wouldn't budge. Upon telling them this was the first time I had EVER heard of this kind of policy at a motorsports shop, large or small, one smugly said it was 'pretty much universal policy' and that I might find some 'backyard mechanic' who could do the work but would probably 'mess it all up'.

Just to make sure, I walked back to the service department and talked to someone who looked like they actually touched a wrench, and they confirmed the liability blahblah.

I have stopped into this dealership 3-4 times since I bought the bike in March and have always left annoyed and empty handed. This was kind of the last straw. The upside was that I found a good mom and pop on my way home who were very courteous and did the work for $55.

Has anyone ever been refused service at their dealership because they didn't always use their shop parts? This place is the biggest shop in town and even has a couple more locations in the region.
took my ATK into a shop (was only shop that even knew what a ATK was) charged me there shelf price for tubes I supplied, broke bolts, ****ed up my carb, and brakes and a bunch of other stuff . then charged me $200 more then quoted and made sure to take my money befor releasing or even telling me about my bike. then got in a yelling match with my husband......
DONT EVER GO TO VICIOUS MOTORCYCLES
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:53 AM

I found that the H-D dealer I got my Buell from not only wouldn't change a tire they didn't sell...they marked the ones they did by 50%. And it wasn't my bike but I know they trashed a guys rims (yea both scratched and gouged to death) on the first set of tires and then told him "Sorry not our problem", the courts said otherwise.

Learn to change your own tires and if you are lucky enough to find a shop that can and will change a tire you take them for a reasonable price make sure to drop cash there for other things you need.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 10-17-2014 at 05:03 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM

Around the beginning of the summer, I kind of went through the same thing. I called around to the dealerships I usually visit to see what the prices were for tire changes and although they would do it, the price for changing a tire bought online was always higher. Couple that with buying a tire from them- which is more expensive than buying onlne- and the price was pretty steep.

Nonetheless, I really needed a rear tire since I had a nice white band down the middle (I've learned my lesson since then on checking your tires frequently!) so I went through the dealership I like the most to buy the tire. First time I called and asked if they carry any dual sport 17-inch tires- lady checks for a second and gives me a surly "nope." I know the front tire can be tough to find but there seems to be a decent amount of rear tires. So 10 minutes later I call back and ask if they carry 17 inch Tourances... "yup- sure do! We have one on sale!" Great- go buy it (on sale is still $20 more than online), go home and take off my rear wheel, and take it in the next day. They mount it, I pay my 40 bucks, head home, go to put it on... they mounted it backwards. Have to go back the next day and get it remounted.

Fast forward a month and decide it's time to change my front tire. I've already decided I'll have someone else do this one also since I don't have a front stand and I'll buy the tire online (I was in penny pinching mode at this point). I hopped on pnwriders.com, which is a regional forum with a lot of activity and found a small performance motorcycle shop that people raved about (EDR performance- ) Called them up and asked if they would change a tire I bought online... didn't even bat an eye- "yup- just bring it in." Ordered my tire online, brought the bike in with the tire strapped to the back, they changed it, and I paid $40 altogether with tire removal and all.

Long story, short... try looking around at some smaller shops that might be in the area (this one catered to track guys) and they'll most likely want your business. Next time I'll definitely buy the tools and do it myself, though . -Chad
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM

The "pretty much universal" comment is just wrong. I have taken rims and new tires I've purchased online to two dealerships in my area and they've changed out the tires. Last time it was $35.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I bought my tires on line, ruined the new rear tire & bought another one on line, bought a tire changing / bead breaker base, No-Mar bar plus two pizzas. When I added it all up I was still $100 below what the dealer I bought the bike at wanted.

Now I change tires in the neighborhood for donations (pizza preferred).
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I change and balance my own by hand, and others' too sometimes as well.

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/ti...es_online.aspx

http://www.bmcwor.com/default.asp?page=service (TIRE INSTALLATION)

Last edited by invader; 10-17-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 01:30 PM

What you experienced, and the explanation you were given, are not unusual at all. There isn't much money in changing tires so the dealer tries to make it up on the tires themselves. Who can blame them? One thing I've done over the years is to develop a relationship with the dealer. They appreciate the business, and sooner or later they'll do you a favor becasue you've become a friend. Does the tire cost more at the dealership? Sure. But so what? It's only money, and most of us waste tons of it. I'd rather help out local people than enrich some faceless online corporation. And I'm the kind of person who enjoys getting to know the owner, the parts people, and the mechanic. It makes life more enjoyable.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Versys View Post
What you experienced, and the explanation you were given, are not unusual at all. There isn't much money in changing tires so the dealer tries to make it up on the tires themselves. Who can blame them? One thing I've done over the years is to develop a relationship with the dealer. They appreciate the business, and sooner or later they'll do you a favor becasue you've become a friend. Does the tire cost more at the dealership? Sure. But so what? It's only money, and most of us waste tons of it. I'd rather help out local people than enrich some faceless online corporation. And I'm the kind of person who enjoys getting to know the owner, the parts people, and the mechanic. It makes life more enjoyable.

Well said. I try and buy at the local dealer because one day you'll need something NOW and if everyone has bought online the local guys will likely be gone...then where will you be?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Ditto!!!

I just can't spend that kind of money on a motorcycle tire. Car tires are done for much less. I have always done my own and saved a ton of $$$. Static balancer helps.

Cheers!

Last edited by angst; 10-17-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: MESSED UP
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Developing a relationship with a shop as Fraz has done has some real advantages. The folks got to know him because he needed his tire mounted and now he has a personal Kawi Connection with the mechanic. He can bring the bike in for other service items and not feel like he's gonna get scammed. Find out what kind of beer they like and bring em a half-rack when you drop the bike off. You'll find that your wait times are short, even in the busy season.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:30 AM

I agree mc tires cost too much, but the dealers say the manufacturers make them in small batches, say 150,000 per run, rather than in the millions they'll make for cars. I guess so. Still, they're pricey for the mileage we get. I've thought about a tire changer but I don't need new tires often enough for that, it takes up room in the garage, plus changing tires is time-consuming when you have to balance them too. With the retail industry being such a lousy experience today (long lines, not enough check-outs, bored, dispirited, underpaid workers), I often ask myself, How much is your time worth? Enough to let someone else do a tire change.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Versys View Post
I feel the same way. I needed new tires for my V recently so I looked up the internet price and then went to the dealer to what they would charge. To my surprise they sold them to me for less than the internet price. I would have been happy if they were just reasonably close to the internet price. There are good dealers and not so good dealers out there. It is worth the effort to search out the good dealers, develope a relationship with them and then give them your business. It has always worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode