Skidplate choices? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Skidplate choices?

Looks like Algard dropped out and I don't like the looks of Happy-Trails.Is there any other choices out there. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:40 AM

Nope. That's all I've ever heard of.
I have an Algard, but before I bought it, I researched the hell out of them and found only the two.
I agree, the Happy trails ain't a looker, but I believe it would be a bit more robust.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Yeah I have the crudely engineered Happy Trails skid job. It needed much tweaking, grinding and some rewelding to make it fit properly without it being pre-stressed, for proper alignment and adequate oil drain plug access. I also upgraded the front under-sized plate with some checkered aluminum plate... Still pondering on if I should add some cooling holes on the sides. It does well support the V off both its wheels. I was able to fit it with Hebco & Becker's crash bars.

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 PM

My first post here, been lurking for several weeks....

We (JNS Engineering) make a skid plate for the KLR650 and I've been considering finding a Versys for the upcoming summer. Maybe there's enough interest to justify a JNS Versys skid plate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JNS_KLR650_Skid_Plate_with_SW_Motech.jpg (53.9 KB, 544 views)
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 AM

If you can come up with a design that ties into structural parts of the bike, looks decent and can support the bike off both wheels, you would probably sell a butt load. The Algard product is well made, looks great but relies on connections to wimpy aluminum castings which make it more of a rock guard than a true skid plate. I would love to see what you come up with!
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS Engineering View Post
My first post here, been lurking for several weeks....

We (JNS Engineering) make a skid plate for the KLR650 and I've been considering finding a Versys for the upcoming summer. Maybe there's enough interest to justify a JNS Versys skid plate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann1 View Post
If you can come up with a design that ties into structural parts of the bike, looks decent and can support the bike off both wheels, you would probably sell a butt load. The Algard product is well made, looks great but relies on connections to wimpy aluminum castings which make it more of a rock guard than a true skid plate. I would love to see what you come up with!
I agree with Jungmann1, anything JNS Engineering designed should be similar to the Alguard, just more structurally sound/mounted. I think the Alguard unit looks very natural and presents pleasant lines that blend with the lower plastic molding. My opinion on the JNS example would not be very favorable, based on the example, for the Versys; it just needs some refinement before I would consider mounting it on my Versys. If done correctly, I believe you (JNS) would find more than enough interest to justify production. It must be economical as well, say around $100-110.

Last edited by duster_71; 01-26-2010 at 12:00 PM.
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Jns skid plate

Yerah, I gotta say, that thing looks perfect for the KLR, and would translate really well to the Versys if it were more "graceful" looking. Lots of guys on here would really go for that.
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM

I wish some other people would chime in here.
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM

HEY INVADER....
Do you have any more details about what exactly you had to do to get your Happy Trails plate to work? Was it worth the PITA? How much was it to begin with?
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doink1968 View Post
HEY INVADER....
Do you have any more details about what exactly you had to do to get your Happy Trails plate to work? Was it worth the PITA? How much was it to begin with?
Yes, there are details. If you search it shouldn't be to hard to find...

BUT

why do you have that picture for your avatar?? I see it often recently and it's never pleasant....
post #11 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM

I just picked up my versys last week and have been looking at the algard also but they are not responding to my emails, I am very interested in a guard cover and would like to have something that looks like the algard.
post #12 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM

Build it and I'm in. Expect a bunch of other folks feel the same way. Thanks.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #13 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM

I already have the Algard, so I'm no longer in the market. However, given the number of times discussions on the rock guard (Algard) / skid plate (H-T) comes up, there definitely appears to be a pent-up demand. As well, it looks like form does play a larger role over function, in that the looks of the H-T tends to be the main (negative) comment about it.

If I was still in the market, the ideal plate would
- be a true skid plate, and be able to protect the case a bit.
- look like it belonged on the bike (the H-T one doesn't...it just doesn't look right to my eye)
- allow oil changes (although not oil filter changes) without removal...take the position of the drain plug into account.

If you can get that at a decent price (both the Algard and the H-T plate are in the $200 - $230 range), some of the riders on this board should beat a path to your door. Hopefully, they'll chime in, or provide further feedback on what they'd like.

I know that's what I was looking for (ideally), and I chose the Algard at the time. I don't have any skills to modify anything, and up until DBD34 posted about his issues, all of the feedback was positive. The main thing is that it does dress up the bike a bit and offers good protection to the header pipes.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM

I'd be in for something that mounted well and protected like a plate instead of a guard.
I have the fenda-extenda which almost stopped all tire sling into the radiator.
Thanks JNS Engineering and Welcome aboard!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #15 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
... I see it often recently and it's never pleasant....
HEY IVAN, I should really make up a funny story here, I really really should...
That's a painting of mine, they are rarely pleasant, but it was handy on my desktop for now. I promise I'll find something motorcycle related to replace it with soon... Cheers! And thanks for the info. I'll do a search through the posts for your details.
post #16 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM

yea, Doink, that Avatar.....conjures up the burn unit....ahem, but yea, an oil pan bash plate would be good. That KLR plate looks perfectly KLRish, but we Versys owners are a more refined and tasteful bunch, and would expect the outfitter to keep our mounts looking like the off-road debutantes they are.
post #17 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
I'd be in for something that mounted well and protected like a plate instead of a guard.
I have the fenda-extenda which almost stopped all tire sling into the radiator.
Thanks JNS Engineering and Welcome aboard!!
X2 on welcoming JNS Engineering onboard, but I'll thank them when they produce a product that I would be proud to mount on my trusted steed! Coming up with a product that is functional, economic, and looks good may be too tall of an order.
post #18 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Definitely interested.
It must work with crash bars, look like it belongs and support the weight of the bike.

muskie

Last edited by muskie; 01-28-2010 at 09:42 AM.
post #19 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Count me on board.
I want.... no NEED... one soon.
It has to, first and foremost, protect the bike. From rocks, mud, logs, whatever may come in contact with the headers, and bottom of the engine. Built strong, and mounted in the proper spots.
It needs to work with engine guards/crash bars installed.
It should be either made so that you dont have to remove it to change the oil and filter, or be a quick removal if it does have to be removed.
and lastly, it should look good, not like "oh this is my super curvy, ultra sexy, skid plate" good, but more like "damn that is rugged, and fits the bike right" good.
Pull that off and I promise I will buy one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 PM

and as other mentioned, the plate being able to support the weight of the bike would be a plus.
not vital, I wouldnt not buy one because it didnt. But given the choice between the two I would go with the one that did. Even if it came at a slighlty higher cost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode