Anyone going/gone to the motorcycle show? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Anyone going/gone to the motorcycle show?

I got tickets, and raffel tickets a couple weeks ago online. Im going to the show here in Cleveland this comming weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Yesterday, on saturday, i went to the motorcycle show here in NY at the Javits Center.

It was a total mess... So many people, you could not see any bikes unless you looked over somebody's shoulder. Where i would have loved to spend 6 hours, i had to leave before 2 hours because of the heat and lack of breathable oxygen!!

I got there early, and sat on most of the hot ones, like the ducati multistrada 1200.

Needless to say, I went to the kawasaki display.

Gentlemen, I can tell you that i was not impressed with the 2010 V. The fairing is nonexistent, instead of the nice smooth lines of the windshield, fairing, front fender, and other plastics, the now have folded-over lines in the plastic.

In addition, not just kawasaki, but the industry in general seem to be coming out with the stealth-looking bikes. The V and the er6 will apparently both come only in FLAT BLACK.

I dont know about all of you, but i would not buy a bike that looks like post-apocaliptic futuristic military vehicles. And i am sure that these bikes will be very stealthy to cars and other large vehicles, especially at night!

The V's gas tank looked like some kid spray painted the bike in his basement.

Mine is in red, and i am happy to have gotten one in a bright color instead of post-nuclear BLACK.

I would love to hear other comments about the 2010 line!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Well the plan is for the gf and I to get up early Sunday morning and get out the the convention center in hopes of beating any crowds. I hope thats decent thinking! Ill post up my impressions next week and maybe some photos if anything is worth a picture.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Me and my 14 year old daughter went to the one in Greenville, SC. I don't know which one liked it more, she sat on almost every bike there. Got a good deal on some riding gear too.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

More details on the deals you got at the show?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM

I went to the Greenville show too and it was easy to see anything you wanted. BMW, Aprilia and KTM weren't there, but the local BMW dealer was there with a lot of models. There was nobody at the Kawasaki display so I was able to sit on most everything. I really don't like the flat black tank on the V. I don't like the plastics as much, but I could get over them, but there are some opening at the front of the cowling that look kind of weird. The Ducati booth and the VFR1200 were getting a lot of attention.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Just came from the NYC show at the Javits Center. I'm sorry, the 2010 V in black is just plain ugly. Some one on another post said Kawasaki may have "sealed the V's fate" with the '10 model. May be true. Got there early Sat morning. The place was empty but filled up quick. Phdmam is right about the black colors. Not meaning to offend anybody who owns a '10 but I sure am glad I got an '09 green. Anybody on this site have a 2010 yet?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM

I went to it at the IX Center last year. If you've never been before - I'd say it's worth going, but once was enough for me.

As far as deals go - don't really expect any - gear-wise. I didn't see any good deals on gear (other than non-name-brand helmets). Online is still the place to find the best deals. However, that being said, if you were on the fence about some gear you saw online, you can often find a vendor with it at the show, so you can check it out in person.

You've got the right idea about going early Sunday morning - that's what my bud and I did, and we avoided the worst of the crowds.

Have fun.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM

Garage
Vancouver Motorcycle Show

My wife and I went to the Vancouver Motorcycle Show which was about an hour out of the city in Abbotsford (which I think is BlackHammer's neck of the woods).

We got there about an hour after opening and were shuffled off to the overflow car park.

We "had to leave before 2 hours because of the heat and lack of breathable oxygen!!" to quote PHDMAM. By that time even the overflow park was full.

There were lots of good clothing bargins, Arai helmets at 30% off etc, but the best hit was Western Powersports advertising they will be having a 40% off tire sale March 13 - 20.

As you may have noticed I am hunting for new rubber.

At least one other dealer thinks he can match this immediately.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM

I went to the Long Beach show back in December. Test rode a Victory Vegas Jackpot, one of their 106 cubic inch cruisers... great engine!

The bikes that impressed me the most were the new Multistrada and BMW's new road rocket. And the Triumph Tiger. And the Honda Deauville, or whatever they call it... the Honda had a nice seating position and feel, but the controls seemed like bargain-basement stuff... guess they're trying to hold the costs down to attract us V riders!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I went to the New York show yesterday morning with my wife. I sort of liked the new Versys, but was really taken by the 2010 Z1000! Only one problem, with a 4 gallon gas tank I would get less than 150 miles before I needed a fill up. Way to little range for me <sigh>. But it is gorgeous and seems real comfortable as well.

As for the other marques, saw the Honda NT700, which is basically a big scooter (and it was in the Honda scooter area!), but otherwise the Japanese didn't show me a lot. Triumph was the same as always, and BMW were overpriced, though I really like the F800ST. Ducati had the Streetfighter as well as the Monster and new Multistrada. I liked them all, though the Streetfighter is looker! If I had some cash, I may have gone for it. I avoided the Harley area; too much black leather for me!

All in all, I most likely will keep my Versys, though if Twisted Throttle will carry some hard bags and a bigger windscreen for the Z1000, I will be very, very tempted...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM

I went to the NYC on Friday. I avoided the weekend crowd, thank god.

Things that stood out for me....

2010 carbon fiber vmax...what can I say it’s the Vmax

2010 versys...I like it. sitting on it reminded me of why I lowered it.

2010 z1000...stole the show

2010 honda vfr1200f ...interesting look. monster v4. bad gas mileage

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E.™ Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
My wife and I went to the Vancouver Motorcycle Show which was about an hour out of the city in Abbotsford (which I think is BlackHammer's neck of the woods).

We got there about an hour after opening and were shuffled off to the overflow car park.

We "had to leave before 2 hours because of the heat and lack of breathable oxygen!!" to quote PHDMAM. By that time even the overflow park was full.

There were lots of good clothing bargins, Arai helmets at 30% off etc, but the best hit was Western Powersports advertising they will be having a 40% off tire sale March 13 - 20.

As you may have noticed I am hunting for new rubber.

At least one other dealer thinks he can match this immediately.

Cheers
It's about 5 min from my house , we went on Thursday right at opening , this is the only time I can handle the show , I hate crowds and cramped spaces .....add in an Irish temper and .
Western has that sale every year and is worth the trip to Langley each season . Modern may be able to match prices . Show opened at 5 on thursday , We got there at 5:10 and had to park in kelowna ......the line moved quickly though .

** This space for rent **
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:19 PM

A few pics of the "Vancouver" show

---------------

** This space for rent **
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM

The V would look better if they had completed the black out look instead of leaving the silver frame and plastic bits. That just makes the bike look weird.

My Album:
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

That first photo is awesome, thats a nice looking Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode