Is something missing on right side below tank 2008 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Is something missing on right side below tank 2008 Versys

Hi, i just bought a 2008 Versys and on the right side (if seated on the bike) there appears to be 2 areas for something to screw in, i thought maybe reflectors. The area is below the tank around the silver trim. Does anyone know why there are 2 threaded holes there?

thanks,
jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Nope, but they are on every V.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Yeah, I've wondered about that myself. I'd love to know if there's an answer...
I bought mine used, so I thought maybe something was missing, but it's the same on the new ones I've looked at also. Are they still there on the 2010's?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

thank you
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 AM

That question still arises now and then... They're just there to secure ABS (antilock braking system) components, where applicable... Handy for holding the timing chain, when removing cams to replace shims.

Last edited by invader; 01-24-2010 at 03:38 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 AM

That's a good picture invader. I see a couple of the pegs that hold the cam cover in position are missing, likely still on the underside of the cover itself. I'm sure you are careful but they can fall into some hard to reach places.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 AM

Good observation, Mt. Versuvius... I had one dowel pin still in each of the three camshaft caps.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 AM

That's right, that's where they were, in the cam shaft caps, not the valve cover. Doh.

A couple of my mechanic(ally inclined) friends were surprised when I told them that the cams spin in these aluminum caps which don't appear to have any other bearing surface bonded to them. What do you think, invader, is this an unusual setup?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM

I think it's pretty much common practice now in aluminum heads. My 2002 Yamaha WR426F was the same, and so is my 2004 Toyota 1ZZ-FE. There should always be a film of oil there... Pistons are made of cast aluminum.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Contributed by MYred of his buddies bike in Singapore (ABS version).

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode