turning gas off how? is it necessary? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

turning gas off how? is it necessary?

Hi, i just bought a 2008 Kawasaki Versys and i'd like to know if it is necessary to turn the gas off? Also how do you do it?

Thanks,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM

The V has electronic fuel injection and there is no fuel cutoff. Also no reserve...it has a fuel guage and warning indicator instead.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM

You don't have to turn anything off but the ignition when you're done riding the bike.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to both members for promptlyanswering. I love this bike. I have an older harley and this bike is more fun to ride!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHoustonTX View Post
I love this bike. I have an older harley and this bike is more fun to ride!
...MORE fun than a NEWER Harley, TOO!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:23 PM

This is one of many reasons I will never go back to carburetors.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
This is one of many reasons I will never go back to carburetors.
The thing that kills me these days is all the stuff they're putting the fuel here in the states. 10% or more ethanol, additives, etc. Wrecks havoc if you let it set very long at all. My girlfriends carb'd 250R would have trouble if you don't start it at least once a week.

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 AM

you can't run ethanol in the V as per the manual
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Ethanol

Kawasaki states no more than 10% ethanol.I can't find any gas that isn't 10%.I have heard that Oregon,as of Jan.1,is now making available ethanol free gasoline.Ethanol is creating havoc in the chaisaw,weedeater and lawnmower world where long periods of not running is the norm. Sticking valves in 4-strokes is the result in extreme conditions.STABIL additive helps but is expensive.I run ATF periodically thru all my vehicles.ATF is extremely high detergent(varnish cutter).I put in about 1 oz. to the gallon 128:1. I'd heard that it was a Cadillac factory recommendation in the past. P.S. if anyone knows of a major gas station serving gas with less than 10% ethanol please let me know. Thanks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker4055 View Post
you can't run ethanol in the V as per the manual
Its next to impossible to find gas in the US that doesn't have up to 10% ethanol.

The only place I know of where you can find it is at the marina. The fuel pumps for boats out there supposedly don't have ethanol in them. Thats what people tell me, I don't know because I don't have a boat.

Bikes run just fine with it, its just that the gas doesn't last as long sitting.

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R

Last edited by LessPeople_MoreRobots; 01-25-2010 at 10:09 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
P.S. if anyone knows of a major gas station serving gas with less than 10% ethanol please let me know. Thanks
Here is a map with gasoline requirements per county in the US. It shows what kind of exta oxygenation is required in which area.
The densely populated areas are the "lucky" ones. You can often get non-alcoholic gas in sparsely populated areas.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM

I'm in VT which is arguably a sparsely populated area and I can't find any ethanol free gas, but I think that has something to do with the more "liberal" attitude of the state.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Here is a map with gasoline requirements per county in the US. It shows what kind of exta oxygenation is required in which area.
The densely populated areas are the "lucky" ones. You can often get non-alcoholic gas in sparsely populated areas.
Except in New Mexico. It's apparently a state law that all regular unleaded gas has up to 10% ethanol. Some stations do sell the higher octane grades (i.e., unleaded plus and unleaded supreme) without the ethanol, but it's a matter of finding a station that tells you it does.

========
steph moore
New Mexico, USA
2008 Versys (a/k/a Hellboy)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Ethanol does not reduce octane rating. It actually increases it. Oxigenated gas burns cleaner that is why it is used. The only issue with ethanol is that it is water soluble and more corrosive hence the need for modifications in the fuel delivery system for concentrations over 10%. Here in CO all gas is 10% ethanol. Cold winters and high altitude calls for oxigenated gas. I have no problems in my V with it. I also drive a flex fuel SUV it gets an additional 5HP when running on e85. Problem is e85 burns too quickly and is too expensive per mile driven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode