Initial chain adjustment done - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Initial chain adjustment done

Having just replaced the chain and front sprocket, I flipped the rear, the bottom fell out here and the bike's been sitting. Yesterday I made a run of about 100 miles and it was cold and damp. BUT the bike ran great so today I went back out and on the way in I wash the bike. I got it on the pit stands and checked the chain it was a bit loose so I did a quick adjustment and it's about 1 3/8" play now. I lubed it and cleaned the wheels good to get the excess wax off. However I did the adjustment on the pit stand not the sidestand/floor. I don't see as there would be any real difference BUT should I redo it?

BTW the speedo is no longer jumping up and down a couple MPH and the vibrations I had started the notice is all but gone. I went to a 16t up front and there are these radar signs here that show you your speed against the posted speed, no ticket thankfully! It's dead on now, before I was a bit under. BUT the bike still has enough "POKE" to get-up and roll. I'm turning about 7200 RPM at 70mph now and the bike feels much more relaxed.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 10-12-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 PM

Yes,you should put it on the side stand and re-adjust. It should be tight right now. I run mine a little loose.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:58 PM

My primitive brain working here:
Shouldn't make a difference on the chain adjustment. With the tire on the floor (sidestand) the forces downward of the bike's weight, and the forces upward on the swingarm (since the rear axle runs right through it) shouldn't be much different than supporting the bike on swingarm spools that are attached to? Right, the swingarm. The tire, or the spools, will put the pivot of the swingarm arm in roughly the same place. You are not unloading the rear suspension when you use a swingarm lift stand, nor changing much in the physics of weights and forces.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Doesn't make sense, try shifting into 5th and 6th.
Probably meant 5,200.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Shouldn't make a difference on the chain adjustment. With the tire on the floor (sidestand) the forces downward of the bike's weight, and the forces upward on the swingarm (since the rear axle runs right through it) shouldn't be much different than supporting the bike on swingarm spools that are attached to? Right, the swingarm. The tire, or the spools, will put the pivot of the swingarm arm in roughly the same place. You are not unloading the rear suspension when you use a swingarm lift stand, nor changing much in the physics of weights and forces.
I'm from the same school but stuck in the 'Maths in space' class of hating angles.
I like to adjust the chain while on the spools.
1) It frees the rear wheel to rotate and not load up the chain
2) chain alignment cannot be done while on the side stand! Those stupid angles again - the bike lean on sidestand pulls the chain left-of-center.
3) when doing the rear axel nut up, the axel is sitting squarely in the bearings with no side loading - again those angles!

Angles on a bike are only while cornering
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Eye want are-gu wit fisics,my mager wus inglsh. I like to sit on the bike after a adjustment and have another person check the slack. Again, I run mine a little loose on my bikes with longer travel. The factory alignment marks have been good to me for quite sometime. I tend to use the KISS principle, that allows me more time to ride than trying to wrap my brain around something that has never been an issue...yet. If/when that time comes, I will (maybe) re-think my thunking!

Last edited by hk9151; 10-13-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 PM

I find the chain gets tighter while sitting on it as opposed to on a center stand. With spools the weight of the bike is still on the spring so it should be the same as with the tire on the ground.

They do tighten up when you sit on them, but I have always assumed that the manufacturer is smart enough to spec the slack so that a straight line from the sprocket through the swingarm to rear axle would not bind it.

I always error on too loose as opposed to too tight, especially with a chain that has variable wear.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I am with Rick on this, a center stand is different.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...I don't see as there would be any real difference BUT should I redo it? ...I'm turning about 7200 RPM at 70mph now and the bike feels much more relaxed.
No, to question 1; and I believe somewhere around 5,000 rpm is more accurate.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
No, to question 1; and I believe somewhere around 5,000 rpm is more accurate.

Sorry I was a bit tired last night PLUS my helmets a bit tight I think and cutting off circulation. BUT it is 5,200 RPM.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode