Noob questions are always fun - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Noob questions are always fun

Noob here. Hope people are more friendly than ADV...

I want a V. Love the looks, and the 18hours on a V thread sold me on the gravelability ( that is a word, look it up).

I really want ABS however. Personal issues have convinced me that I need it, but I want switchable. Has anyone heard of a rumor of ABS on upcoming V's?

Mission Accomplished
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM

I haven't heard anything about it myself. Just curious, is this your first bike?

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlost View Post
Noob here. Hope people are more friendly than ADV...

I want a V. Love the looks, and the 18hours on a V thread sold me on the gravelability ( that is a word, look it up).

I really want ABS however. Personal issues have convinced me that I need it, but I want switchable. Has anyone heard of a rumor of ABS on upcoming V's?
Many rumors. Seems like each year, the rumors fly. No ABS for us so far. And as ugly as the 2010 model is, they may have sealed the Versys's fate.

In my opinion of course...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM

If you need ABS, look into the BMW models. There are some pretty neat and similar bikes that they offer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsmartBullet View Post
If you need ABS, look into the BMW models. There are some pretty neat and similar bikes that they offer.
The 650 v-strom is available with ABS and quite gravelable.
If you must have ABS, you ruled out the Versys.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM

I'd hate to see anyone rule the V out for not having abs. Besides having one shipped from overseas, I'm sure the bike it set up to have it, but I would imagine diff, wheels/discs beside the abs unit itself. Probably an expensive add on!! I have never ridden a bike with abs so I am not sure of the results. In a 4 wheeled vehicle it would probably be more controled than with 2. The times I have locked the rear up stopping for quick lights I've always been able to ride it out smoothly while adding a little more front brake. Stop every time.
Any body ridden with abs on a bike???
Def. ride the V. It is a great bike!!

Welcome aboard also Neverlost!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
I'd hate to see anyone rule the V out for not having abs. Besides having one shipped from overseas, I'm sure the bike it set up to have it, but I would imagine diff, wheels/discs beside the abs unit itself. Probably an expensive add on!! I have never ridden a bike with abs so I am not sure of the results. In a 4 wheeled vehicle it would probably be more controled than with 2. The times I have locked the rear up stopping for quick lights I've always been able to ride it out smoothly while adding a little more front brake. Stop every time.
Any body ridden with abs on a bike???
Def. ride the V. It is a great bike!!

Welcome aboard also Neverlost!!
I have driven a 2009 FLHP Harley, a 2008 GL1800 Gold Wing, and a CanAM Spyder all with anti-locks and I can say they WILL STOP.... but even that is no replacement for practice. There is just no replacement for practice! On the CanAM it was scary stop I was doing a test demo ride at a Motorcycle Rodeo and the CanAm rep told me to really get on it so I stomped the rear brake only (they are linked with the fronts) at about 65 it was all I could do to hold on I was tossed all the way forward and all into the handle bars there was no opportunity for any evasive action had it been required... I say this to say Practice, Had I practices I would have been better prepared for the reaction my body would have on the CanAM.

find a place where you can get to 40mph and just mark 20 places on the ground about 70 feet apart and practice, start off at 20mph steady your speed and practice with rear brake only and then front brake only and then both. then go to 30mph and practice use both brakes and then go to 40mph

FOR ME I don't mind the no Anti-lock but I practice

here is a example video it is called a brake and escape (not me in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bke4iKKx5-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bke4iKKx5-I

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650

Last edited by MotoCop; 01-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsmartBullet View Post
If he buy's a BMW then he will morph into one of those unfriendlies on ADV that he talked about in his OP ....... Assuming that the word Gravelability is real , and you intend to ride the bike off-road or at least on "loose" roads , consider that ABS is not the best option , My good friend rode a GS1200 Adventure to Argentina from Canada , lot's of off highway stuff , and the brakes were an issue , being linked front and rear is not good on a steep wet grassy slope ............**note: While ABS offers improved vehicle control, and may decrease stopping distances on dry and especially slippery surfaces, it can also increase braking distance on loose surfaces such as snow and gravel . Also if you want switchable , the price of the bike will far exceed a Verseys ...........good luck and inform us of what you get .....

** This space for rent **
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlost View Post
...I really want ABS however. Personal issues have convinced me that I need it, but I want switchable. Has anyone heard of a rumor of ABS on upcoming V's?
Can you elaborate on this? I am trying to understand the cost/benefit argument for/against ABS. Is it just a peace-of-mind thing or a real world necessity for you?

Then again, the only time to switch off the ABS is when you're in the dirt. Plan to go there much?

Peter
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I have been riding for years and feel good on the dirt (live in Colorado) and the street. I am convinced that ABS is a good option, I just want to be able to turn it off like BMW's do. I just don't want a Beemer.

Mission Accomplished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode