Gear-shift indicator, which one?. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Gear-shift indicator, which one?.

Guys,

Which gear-shift indicator would be the best fit for the Versys 09?. I have been looking at the Acumen DG8. All useful responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks GV09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 AM

The Acumen DG8 looks good... There's also the GIPRO unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalexander View Post
I have the GIPRO unit on my V and it is VERY nice indeed. Mine is not like the one recently tested in Rider (which is what I had on my V-Storm). It is much smaller and does not include the timing control feature. True plug and play, 100% accurate and just sticks on with double face tape. Mostly I rely on sound and feel but there I times I like to be able to check my gear with a glance.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:29 AM

I've read more favorable reviews about GIPRO on the UK forum. Few people over there have those so maybe you could look around.

When I first saw these units, I briefly considered them until scrolling down to see the price. Then I decided it's much more valuable to learn to shift properly.

Cheers.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

What I TRY to do (IF I didn't count my shifts...) is multiply my tach reading, number of THOUSANDS, times 14 ; ie: 5,000 rpm is 5 x 14 = 70 mph. If that agrees w/ my speedo reading, I'm in 6th gear. (Or DOUBLE thousands x 7. ie: 4,500 rpm is 9 x 7 = 63 mph.)
ACTUAL speed is by substituting 6.5 for 7 in the above (or 13 for 14), as shown by my GPS. [5,000 rpm in 6th is REALLY 65 mph!]

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What I TRY to do (IF I didn't count my shifts...) is multiply my tach reading, number of THOUSANDS, times 14 ; ie: 5,000 rpm is 5 x 14 = 70 mph. If that agrees w/ my speedo reading, I'm in 6th gear. (Or DOUBLE thousands x 7. ie: 4,500 rpm is 9 x 7 = 63 mph.)
ACTUAL speed is by substituting 6.5 for 7 in the above (or 13 for 14), as shown by my GPS. [5,000 rpm in 6th is REALLY 65 mph!]
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......... I'm sorry , I must have blacked out there when I read all those numbers .............could you repeat that .

** This space for rent **
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM

Damn, I'm with BH on that one. I have the GIPRO and granted I'm not looking at it all the time. However, every once and awhile it's nice to look to see where you are in the trany. I've only looked for 7th a couple of times since installation.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM

I still wonder why? IMO ,if you don't know what gear you are in ,you need to go back to motorcycling 101.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM

I don't think that's a fair comment. Anyone can miss it from time to time. A gear indicator is a nice to have ( I don't think they are worth the cost though). However, if you think you really need it you might have some issues to figure out.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
I still wonder why? IMO ,if you don't know what gear you are in ,you need to go back to motorcycling 101.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I don't think that's a fair comment. Anyone can miss it from time to time. A gear indicator is a nice to have ( I don't think they are worth the cost though). However, if you think you really need it you might have some issues to figure out.
While you both make valid points , however this is a riders choice and has nothing to do with skill ......... even some pro racers have a gear indicator , some go by feel alone .........I prefer the "feel" myself . I am sure the OP has a reason to want one ...........maybe they get confused easily or lost in the moment , maybe they really want to be sure what gear they are in before making a particular corner or set of corners ...........or maybe they just have Farklitis and must buy every piece of add-on availiable

** This space for rent **
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Farklitis,it would look cool.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM

indicator in my oppinion is great help in the city traffic .. when you shift down you can have it in 2nd and you stop and in same second you dont rember wich gear you have and if you want to step on trottle in some crossing and then "wrum wrum..and motor dies in middle of crossings :=) "
..little imagination

otherwise ... i decided not to buy it ...in landscapes ... -> change the gear by feeling and by motor sound...
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampir02 View Post
indicator in my oppinion is great help in the city traffic .. when you shift down you can have it in 2nd and you stop and in same second you dont rember wich gear you have and if you want to step on trottle in some crossing and then "wrum wrum..and motor dies in middle of crossings :=) "
..little imagination

otherwise ... i decided not to buy it ...in landscapes ... -> change the gear by feeling and by motor sound...
If it only works that way. The shift indicator only receives the gear signal when the clutch is released. So if you are riding in 5th gear, pull in the clutch and down shift the indicator still shows 5th gear. When you then release the clutch to pull out the indicator then updates to show what gear you are in.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM

brothercannon --- aaaaaaaaa ..thanx .... now i know where is the point..
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM

I would have liked to know this before I bought it. At least it keep me from occasionally trying to shift into 7th gear. It's something nice to have but certainly not needed.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Garage
Don't want to say that I have absolute truth (but I do, ask my gf )

And I don't have a lot of riding experience

And sometimes I do miss my shift or search for 7th gear

But all this said, I don't think that I need a device to tell me in which gear I'm in
Engine rev VS speed, or better, the "pickup" when I twist the throttle is plenty information for me

All this being said, I agree that it's a neet thing to have, but not a necessity

Ciao all

LOP
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM

This is the first bike I've owned with a six speed trans. I sometimes get lost on what gear I'm in, and start off in second gear. I've only clocked about 1,000 miles, so I'll give it some more time to get use to that 'extra' gear. It would be nice to have an indicator.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM

The sound and feel of the motor is an exceptional gear indicator, backed up by the green neutral idiot light so you know when you're not in gear. I agree with the statement I've seen elsewhere that it doesn't matter which number gear you're in as long as it's the right gear for the situation. If it's not, then shift!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM

I would like a gear indicator. At least one that tells me I'm in 6th.
I think I have searched for a 7th gear every time I ridin my V.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM

I agree with DK, I look for 7th lik every other time I ride.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 AM

I'm also a fan of an indicator, which I had on my last bike (1981 technology).

My first bike back in the 1960s was a BSA Bantam. It was two stroke and there was a measuring cup for the oil built into the petrol tank cap. When I got a Yammy DS6 250 it had a separate oil injection system. I was used to estimating how much oil for a partial fill in the Bantam, but would not go back to it after the Yamaha with a separate oil tank.

The Bantam had no reserve built into the fuel tap. Every other bike I've owned since (except the V) had reserve. Every now and then I needed that reserve. My last bike had a fuel gauge, as does the V. I 'should' be able to keep track of how far I've ridden on a tank and fill up before I run out. But I would not go back to the Bantam's on/off fuel tap after riding for so many years with a fuel gauge.

My headlight has both high and low beam. The Bantam didn't have an indicator on the dash. Every other bike I've owned had an indicator. I can easily tell when I'm on high beam at night, but if bike manufacturers removed the high beam indicator from the dash we would complain.

It's the same with blinkers. There are indicators on the dash. A 'real' biker should know if he's already hit the blinker switch before a turn. And a 'real' biker should know if he's cancelled the blinker. But if the manufacturers removed the dash indicator for the blinkers we would complain.

My last bike, Suzuki GS1000G from way back in 1981, had a gear indicator on the dash. It was very handy in traffic and on mountain twisties and sometimes on long straight stretch motorways. A 'real' biker should know what gear he's in.

Finding that the V didn't have a gear indicator surprised me. If Mr Kawasaki asked me how to improve the V, the gear indicator would be on my short list.

You can help make Clem a household name

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode