Yet another wind shield question..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Yet another wind shield question.....

To make it simple--I'm 6'1" and am looking for the right windshield to make long trips more enjoyable. Mikes touring shield or Vario with upper spoiler. These two seem to the taller of most available. I loike the fact that Mikes can be gotten in tinted besides clear. Any opinions on weather to go with tinted or not.
I've read almost all the comments from previous threads but am just looking for a straight up answer from somebody the same height with either of these or another brand that is working for them.
Thanks ahead guys!! Got a long trip planned late spring over a thousand miles and comfort would make the ride alot more enjoyable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Ok...I'm 6'1, 195lbs...IMHO the Vario is a POS..Mikes? can't say...What I can say is after gleening as much info as I could from this forum I went with a Givi...Never looked back...Wanted a shield I could see over but offered good (I'm not gonna us the word "great") wind protection and that's what I got...Mounted up in 10 minutes...Here some pics

Good luck

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:44 AM

I have Mikes largest touring shield. Coupled with the madstad windshield bracket, the set up works awesome. No buffeting, really no wind on me, just a light breeze
I like my setup like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM

In my opinion Mike's windshield is the best for long distance touring. I am only 5'8 but have a long torso and a 28" inseam. I had the GIVI shield and that lasted about a week. Way over priced for what it is in my opinion. I also built so windshield extender mounts to move Mike's shield even further up so the wind just grazed the top of my helmet. As far as the tinting goes, I'm not a great fan of it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm 190cm (or 6'2'' I guess) and have MRA Vario with the spoiler.
I only did a few kilometers with stock wind-sreen so I can't really compare them except that MRA is much better.
For my hight and sitting position on the bike this screen is juuuust a bit to short. When I arch my back and head a little all wind resistance disappear but if I sit with my back straight there is a little buffering.

You might be okay with an inch less hight. Not sure, though.
Givi seems the best to me as well.

Cheers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys!!! Sound like Mikes Touring, clear, would be a good choice. It's 17" while the vario is 16". Mike also has a gran touring at 21" but that might be too much.
Any body else have this set up??
Alot of hits, no shields hitters?

Contractor, I sure would love a couple of those kmw tags for my V!!! Green of course, Any ideas...

2009 Lime green Versys
Fenda Extenda
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 PM

The KLE stickers are clear in those 2 sections so it matches the color of your bike perfectly I had them made at Fastsigns...Just tellem you want a BMW logo with KLE or watever you want and poof they will make it....

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Anybody gone the V-stream route

Am looking to mount on the stock bracket and want something not that much taller than the kawa original, has anyone gotten that v-stream version? I'm just shy of 5'10" and normal , slender build. my other choice is the ermax, ????tia, fratedog
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
To make it simple--I'm 6'1" and am looking for the right windshield to make long trips more enjoyable. Mikes touring shield or Vario with upper spoiler. These two seem to the taller of most available. I loike the fact that Mikes can be gotten in tinted besides clear. Any opinions on weather to go with tinted or not.
I've read almost all the comments from previous threads but am just looking for a straight up answer from somebody the same height with either of these or another brand that is working for them.
Thanks ahead guys!! Got a long trip planned late spring over a thousand miles and comfort would make the ride alot more enjoyable
You probably already saw my posts on this in another thread, I'm 6'2" and this mod of the MRA Vario worked brilliantly for me:

regards, Bob
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

... or buy and then modify a Yamaha Majesty (scooter) 'shield... Mine keeps me quite comfortable. The other day while working on it I had to go get some more hardware so rode without a 'shield to the hardware store, and that REALLY showed how good my "Yamasaki" windscreen IS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frnt view2.jpg (415.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03739.jpg (1.01 MB, 106 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
... or buy and then modify a Yamaha Majesty (scooter) 'shield... Mine keeps me quite comfortable. The other day while working on it I had to go get some more hardware so rode without a 'shield to the hardware store, and that REALLY showed how good my "Yamasaki" windscreen IS.
Sounds good to me!! Whatever works.

regards, Bob
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys!!
Fratedog you might look at mikesshields.com. He has a tinted 12" tall windshield and will also make it to any height you require.
I can't remember the thread but someone else took a faceshield for a helmet and made a small windshield.

2009 Lime green Versys
Fenda Extenda
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 AM

I ordered the Vario screen with blade when I got the bike. I rode with the stock shield for a week or two before the Vario cam in, then changed over. After a year I was sick of the buffeting of the Vario and changed back to stock. It's a lot calmer, although it doesn't give as much protection.

I think I wasted $250 for the Vario. However, now I've seen how the stock screen can be used to replace the Vario blade, perhaps I'll give that a try.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratedog View Post
Am looking to mount on the stock bracket and want something not that much taller than the kawa original, has anyone gotten that v-stream version? I'm just shy of 5'10" and normal , slender build. my other choice is the ermax, ????tia, fratedog
Because I liked the small stock screen but needed more wind protection I went with the Ermax. This screen is unique in that only the bottom section is tinted to hide the mounting bracketry but the top edge scoops up to direct the air higher without having to make the screen taller. For maximum safety it's best to not be looking through the screen but over it so for me a 5' 10" the Ermax High Protection is perfect and the cost is very reasonable.

Check out this link: http://www.frogspecialties.com/index.php?categoryid=26

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post
I ordered the Vario screen with blade when I got the bike. I rode with the stock shield for a week or two before the Vario cam in, then changed over. After a year I was sick of the buffeting of the Vario and changed back to stock. It's a lot calmer, although it doesn't give as much protection.

I think I wasted $250 for the Vario. However, now I've seen how the stock screen can be used to replace the Vario blade, perhaps I'll give that a try.
Dr. Shifty,
Same story as me, the Vario buffetted the C#@p out of me, too!! Then I did the mod described in my previous post, things are very good now!

regards, Bob
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Anybody running with mikes touring shield since it sounds like the vario will be out for me?

2009 Lime green Versys
Fenda Extenda
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode