Adirondack weather - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Adirondack weather

Hey, I'm thinking about putting together a road trip on the Vee up the Appalachians from western Carolina to the Adirondacks in New York. I've never been in that region before, so it'll all be new for me. I know that autumn is considered to be the prime season, but I'll probably be in the Rockies then. How bad are the black flies earlier in the year - say in May or June? I'll be camping at least 2 days out of 3 along the way. Any advice from the local riders in the region? From what I've read, it should make a superb destination. I may even take time to do a ride on across Vermont and New Hampshire to Maine - gotta get some more state stickers and refrigerator magnets...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM

man, i've been wanting to do that very ride myself for the past few years now, both times i tried my riding partner backed out......
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 AM

I ride in the Adirondack region every year, but usually in the fall. Our climate is the same, however, and so I can tell you with certainty that the best time (of the 2 months you mentioned) would be early May. By the last week of May and most of June the bugs are hellacious and it's best to keep out of the woods, unless you're prepared to sit around in a bug shirt or slather yourself with Muskol. Just my 2 cents. It is a fantastic destination though, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. The White Mountains in N.H. are stunning, Mt. Washington and all that. I could tell you more but it sounds like you're doing your research. Happy trails.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM

I've camped in the Adirondacks in mid August - no bugs when I was there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM

I love the Adirondacks. Get yourself a good map and try riding any of the numbered county roads that go from one main road to another, usually through nowhere. Some of the best riding in the East.

May has been pretty wet the last two times I was there, but rain happens. I like late August or early September.

If you do go over to Vermont or New Hampshire, the riding is better farther north. A ride to the top of Mt. Washington is worth the effort if the weather is good. Consult your map for roads with scenic dots, as most are great for riding. Maine roads aren't nearly as much fun as New Hampshire, but if you're after a magnet it's well worth a ride through Grafton Notch State Park.

This article may be worth a read. (Note that the Champlain Bridge mentioned in the story was deemed deficient and blown to smitherines a couple weeks ago. A replacement bridge is a couple years off. Try the ferry in Essex, to the north.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 01-18-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Bridge out!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Great info!

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. I may be tempted to put the ride off until late August to catch the better weather. I like to do a two week bp trip each year in Yellowstone during the first weeks of September to catch the fall elk rut in the backcountry. Trouble is, that's also the best time to go just about anywhere that I like to go. I'm wanting to check out the Adirondacks for a possible long canoe trip at some point in the future.
I'm having a ball picking out the route. I've been using the Motorcycle Roads US page - http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ - combined with the Garmin Topo and City Navigator maps. I'm trying to avoid even the main two-lane roads as much as possible. I've got traveling fever pretty bad and it will be hard to wait until later in the year, but maybe some shakedown trips to West Virginia and Pennsylvania will help.
Bones, I really liked the page you linked to. That was exactly what I'm looking for. It even mentioned some of the roads that I'd put on my route.
Hope this works out - I love exploring new country.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
Bones, I really liked the page you linked to. That was exactly what I'm looking for. It even mentioned some of the roads that I'd put on my route.
Thanks. FWIW, that's my article. Here's another one I wrote about your neck of the woods.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Terrific writing!

I really enjoy reading accounts of rides 'in my backyard' by riders from other regions. You covered some of my favorite local roads in the piece - excellent coverage too. Even mentioned a rib joint that I haven't sampled yet.
I've lived here for most of my life, and never let a day go by without thinking about how lucky I am to do so - it's like being a kid in a candy store if you're into any sort of outdoor sports.
Thanks for the links - they'll go into my Favorites, for sure.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM

Time your trip so you arrive in Lake George ( www.tourexpo.com ) (just above Albany ) the first week in June ... That is when the Americade event is happening ... I've been there many times ... I never get sick of it ... it is a week long event that includes test riding all manufactures bikes, day tours, dinner cruise, workshops, etc ...then continue your tour up hwy 100 in Vermont to
Montpelier ... then go east to bangor on hwy 2 ... then down to Arcadia Park on the Ocean ... on that route you will have great riding roads ... great scenery ... and and many points of interest ...

Last edited by freewheeler; 01-20-2010 at 07:01 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 PM

The flies are very annoying in July, even when you're in a canoe. Two years ago it rained on us for most of the week I was there, but I still loved it. I go to the museum on Blue Mtn. Lake every time I'm up there.
I blogged our trip two years ago. It's day 30-34 on the blog in my signature.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM

I KNOW IAM AM BIASED, BUT....
I live in Maine, with family in Ohio, so I've ridden across Maine, NH, VT, and through the Adirondacks a couple of times. It's all great country, but my favorite riding BY FAR is through VT. Like Maine, BILLBOARDS are ILLEGAL there! and there's hardly anyone living there, and not one straight road to be found, so the scenery is just gorgeous. Take the ferry across Lake Champlain. You'll never regret it. The Adirondacks are good too, and I'm sure there are great places up there that I haven't seen, but you have to get pretty far North into them to escape all the minivans from NYC/New Jersey, etc.
I'm jealous! I want to plan my summer trip, but I've got a new baby at home and a lot of work to do. Have a blast!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doink1968 View Post
I KNOW IAM AM BIASED, BUT....
I live in Maine, with family in Ohio, so I've ridden across Maine, NH, VT, and through the Adirondacks a couple of times. It's all great country, but my favorite riding BY FAR is through VT. Like Maine, BILLBOARDS are ILLEGAL there! and there's hardly anyone living there, and not one straight road to be found, so the scenery is just gorgeous. Take the ferry across Lake Champlain. You'll never regret it. The Adirondacks are good too, and I'm sure there are great places up there that I haven't seen, but you have to get pretty far North into them to escape all the minivans from NYC/New Jersey, etc.
I'm jealous! I want to plan my summer trip, but I've got a new baby at home and a lot of work to do. Have a blast!
I've got a friend at work from Rochester and he told me pretty much the same thing that you said, "The Dacks are terrific, but Vermont is in a class by itself." Now I'm thinking about eliminating the side trips on the way up through West Virginia and Pennsylvania so that I can iron butt the ride and get to New England earlier. That will allow me a lot more time to extend the trip through Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. West Virginia is close enough that I can re-visit it on shorter trips.
You know, if life was fair, we could just say to hell with working and spend our time riding, serving as inspiration to the 'un-saddled' masses...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode