What makes a Versys better than, say, an ER-6n? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

What makes a Versys better than, say, an ER-6n?

Hi... no flames intended, this is a real question.

I haven't bought a bike yet. Right now I'm liking the ER-6n quite a bit, except for the lack of a windshield, though that can be corrected.

I really like the Versys... the one thing turning me off about it is the seat heigh t -- 3" higher. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, and can just barely sit comfortably on the ER-6n. On the Versys, I'm on my toes to keep it upright.

So what about the Versys would make it better than the ER-6n? Is it something I should still consider?

I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but I've ridden quads and snowmobiles for years. I'm taking the MSF course next weekend and hope to pick up a bike in the next week or two.

Thanks!!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 PM

I'm barely 5'7" and can flatfoot the ER6n and my knees are still bent. I don't know how you're having trouble. Maybe you should try sitting on it with moto boots.
Also, you can shave down the seat or buy a lowered one for the Versys. I cut my seat down nearly two inches.

I like having a small windscreen and mini-fairing for the commute. A touch of wind protection can make a big difference on long rides. I also like the adjustable fork. The Versys also has a lot of modifications available to make it somewhat more off-road worthy like the V-Strom if that's your thing. Nice tank size, too.

Beyond that it's kind of just down to looks and comfort. Good luck.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM

I'm only 5'6" and can just barely get my toes down on both sides. If I shift to one side I can almost flat foot it, but I really don't have any problem with it. The versys is relatively light.

The only hard thing to do is paddle backwards. Most of the time I just get off and wheel it back. I only ever have to do that when I pull into a parking space though.

Can you mount it easy enough? I keep my kickstand down and step up like a passenger would.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 PM

If you are 5'8", dont get the versys.

you like the er6, get it. it is the same bike only smaller

for me, the added height is for a 5'10" and taller, experienced rider

you can get into alot of trouble if you are on a slope and it leans on you
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM

i like upright tall bikes for the street. great view, more leg room, more comfort. i have ridden a ER6N and would have to raise handle bars and lower pegs to make it comfortable for me. love the Versys but still had to install lower pegs. i will never buy another bike with less leg room than a Versys. but i am almost 50.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 AM

I don't think the Versys is necessarily a better bike than the ER6, unless you qualify that by saying what sort of riding do you want to do, how you ride, how you want to interact with the bike.

the ER6 is a good bike, its also a bit cheaper.

I know people who rave about Harleys / crusiers, to me they are a pile of sh1te, but my preferences (or should that read prejudices) doesn't invalidate or authenticate someone elses choices.

so before buying a bike I'd suggest you need to decide what you want out of the bike, what you need. having done that then look around at the various competing models in the same power bracket and make a shortlist. then at least go sit on one, and ideally go for a ride on those bikes on the shortlist and make your mind up as to what suits you.

for me the Versys has a relaxing riding position, so theres no odd cricks int he neck
its fantastic commuting.
its fantastic cornering.
it has a wonderfull panoramic view, if you can call it that, you look out over and above most cars can see over hedges can see whats happening around you.

its not so good on out and out speed
arguably its brakes are not especially good

but whats right for me and other riders here, may not be right for you. often whats right may be other things such as aesthetics, appearance, what you amtes have got and so on.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 AM

Er6n is cheaper? Not in 2009 when I bought my V. It was almost a full 2k more than my V.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 AM

First, I think either is quite a lot of bike for a beginner. The ER with lower height may help you out. I'm 5-10 with a 30' inseam and the V is no problem. My dirtbike is at least another couple of inches taller. I dont' have another suggestion for an alternate bike, I would just be scared to death of a brand new rider on one. Even the V with the lower power output has plenty on tap. It's surprising for a relatively 'mild' bike according to the professional reviewers.

I really like the ER, thought I would buy one. Looked at both at the bike show and fell in love. Actually, fell in love with the Ducati Hypermotard but decided it was too much bike and too much money. Also liked the Triumph Street Triple. But with 50% more HP on tap I thought it may be too much bike as well.

I've been riding bikes off and one for more than 40 years. In the last 6 years I've had a SV650, a DL1000 V-Strom, and just got a Versys.

When it came down to comparing the Kawasakis, they put WAY better suspension on the V, an inch longer travel with upside down forks, and tuned the motor for peak torque output at a lower rpm. This combination makes the bike much more relaxed to ride, and more capable for a wider array of terrain. Combine with an additional gallon of fuel, a flyscreen, and better ergos, it became an easy choice.

I really like the all-black 2010 models, but couldn't resist the pricing on the '09. So I got a green one with the black wheels and trim and have already bought the paint to cover all the green. I shoot Dupont Centari acrylic enamel. Flat black for the tank, and gloss for the fairings.

Good luck with your decision.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Er6n is cheaper? Not in 2009 when I bought my V. It was almost a full 2k more than my V.
Today, jan. 18
From kawasaki canada
er-6n $8249
versys $8999
But the ER is available in 2 colors scheme ... not the versys, only black

And to add my point of view to the original question of the thread

It's not a better bike, it's a different bike !

Ciao

LOP
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM

MSRP on the ER-6N is about $500 less than the Versys if I remember correctly.

When I bought my Versys, the sales guy put it this way: the Versys can do everything the ER-6N can do, but the ER-6N can't do everything a Versys can do. I don't know that I agree because I just haven't given it much thought. I was already sold on the Versys.

With a low seat, you might be ok on the V. Give it a try if you can.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 PM

You might also consider speedys lowering kit
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
You might also consider speedys lowering kit
Here is a link to that kit

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM

SPACKLER : the Versys can do everything the ER-6N can do, but the ER-6N can't do everything a Versys can do.

that should be a Verys moto

and not even against er6 ..also for other bikes and better sitting possition , back doesnt huts , and more confortable for long tours ..
like V-strom isnt so good on street curves and so , because its to big bike ..

Last edited by vampir02; 01-18-2010 at 12:41 PM.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
current list prices in the UK
Versys £6000 ($9700) ~ £6400 [ABS] ($10400)
ER6N £5,100 ($8300)
OK thats not the price you necessarily pay for "on the road", or as I think you guys style it OTD
I've heard of new Versys's going for around the £5000 ($8100) mark

after that is down to you and how good bad or indifferent you are in negotiating a purchase and how keen the dealer is to do the deal
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:51 PM

prices in slovenia (EU)

for 2010 model :

-Versys 7.180 €
-Versys ABS 7.555 €

Er-6n 6.168 €
Er-6n ABS 6.735 €
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Wow, I paid 6k for my brand new 2009 last summer. Guess I got a good deal.

And the V is my first bike. Being a noob I think its perfect for me as my first bike. But I think it all depends on the rider.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM

you may have got a good deal, or it may just be symptomatic of multinationals being creative on pricing the same goods in different markets.

bear in mind that bikes will attract sales tax (VAT) which in the UK is currently 17.5%, it has been as low as 15% for the previous year in a desperate attempt to keep people spending. that would bring the dollar equivalent to around $8300 for a non ABS Versys

it still hacks me off seeing many US goods priced in the UK at par. this often happens with books, instead of the exchange rate. it used to be the same with CD's which were generally £10..15 in the UK, compared to the sterling equivalent of the same CD's in Canada or the US at around £5..10. I guess cocaine shoved up record company execs must cost a lot more in the UK.

its especially galling on books, as the usual excuse of we have to translate, we have to blah di blah doesn't really count.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM

The Versys can be lowered, and adapted to your height and comfort level... I can alomst guarantee you that on this forum there has got to be ahndful of guys and gals who are shorter than you but still comfortably handle the V.
In my opinion any 650 is a bit big for a starter, but if you have lots of quad/snowmobile experience than you have that going for you as a benefit...
so what makes the V better than the ER to me.... well the V's upright seating, windshield options, the Lower endedness of the engine, the looks... and most importantly the fact that V will take you anywhere and everywhere you wanna go!
The ER is basically a Ninja 650 without the fairings, while the V is a "light adventure sport tourer, onroader, offroader, racer, commuter beast."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:57 PM

The V is bigger, roomier, more low and mid range torque. More room for mounting hard bags. (I don't think hard bags can be mounted on the ER).

But the ER has more top end power, it may be lighter too.

If I had short legs, I would pass on the V, and get something that fits me better.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm 5'-8", was on my tip toes with a new 2009 Versys. The thin gel seat dropped it
1 5/8". Speedy's lowering kit dropped it another 1 3/4". Seat height is now 30". If you set the rear spring tension to the softest setting, it will drop another 3/8". I've been riding about 1,000 miles on a dual sport-dirt Kawasaki. Moving over to the Versys was no problem at all. It's a wonderful machine. I just rode it 50 miles, doing the breaking as suggested by MotoMan. Changed the oil and am really happy with everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode