Two up riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Two up riding

I've got it narrowed down to a Versys or Vstrom and would like to pull the trigger by the time riding season rolls around. The Versys seems like a better 1up road bike which most of my riding is but I have a concern it will be too cramped for 2 up riding. I don't usually ride two up but would like to have the option of doing a 350km trip two up. Anyone have experiece with two up touring on the Versys? Also does a trunk with backpad help much with passenger comfort? Does the trunk make the bike feel noticably top heavy when empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM

We did a 3k trip fully loaded/top box, no problem. although she's only 5ft /120lb or so. around 500 miles a day, 2 hours between stops was about enough.

Stuck some grippy covering on the rear to stop her sliding around. Pics somewhere on here.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Anyone have experiece with two up touring on the Versys? Yes, me and the gf. COmfy, no issues. Im 6-1, 230, she is 5 ft, 100lbs.

Also does a trunk with backpad help much with passenger comfort? She says it was night and day when i got it and put it on. At first i thought i got ripped off when i bought the back pad, but she says its so much more comfortable to have it. So 45 bucks well spent.

Does the trunk make the bike feel noticably top heavy when empty? You dont notice you have a trucnk after you put it on full or empty.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 PM

Probably depends on how big your passenger is. I'm very comfortable with my wife on the back.

Before I bought my versys I had a lot of people (mostly salesmen) telling me I need a bigger bike...like an st 1300 or something. All because I mentioned that I want to do some 2 up touring but the bike was going to be mainly a commuter. I'm glad I went with the smaller V. Buy a bike for what you'll usually use it for...not for what you may do once a year or so.

I also made my wife go with me and sit on the bike with me in the showroom floor to see how it felt.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 PM

I swapped to the corbin seat and have the shad top box with the back rest and it works pretty good for us. We have done some 500 mile weekends and thats about our limit, with the stock seat it was a little hard for long rides the new seat is much better especially for my wife.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:51 AM

I'm almost 6 ft 154 lbs and my wife is about 5.5 ft 110 lbs.
V is enough comfortable for the 2nd passenger, the knees folding angle isn't too close, and legs don't get tired.
When my wife ride and I sit back, I think that passenger's pegs are too advanced compared my height and I don't feel a good support. I would prefer to have pegs moved back to load them most strongly with my legs. My wife don't have any problem.

Factory back seat maybe is little too small, but if you feel so and you don't want to change it, for long rides (more of about 4-5 hours), you can put on something like a little cushion or a folded beach-mat (is this term correct?).

Lastly: the Vstrom is Very very ugly .

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 AM

duffyduck - mind if I I;ll contact you later on?, as heading to Scicily via the mainland this year, havent worked out route yet but good to get an insiders view.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You've all convinced me to go with the Versys as that was my only concern. Anyone have top box recommendations?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 AM

I have a shad top box with the luggage rack and love it. Seems to be very sturdy lockable and waterproof
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 AM

I have a Givi E52 that works very nicely...it will hold two full face helmets.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
duffyduck - mind if I I;ll contact you later on?, as heading to Scicily via the mainland this year, havent worked out route yet but good to get an insiders view.
Sure! I'm ready for all your questions and more!

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM

The Vstrom is purportedly a little better for two-up, although that was one of my exact same questions and went with the versys. Have not done a 2-up trip yet tho.

And yes, even after having owned one, the strom is really ugly, like a mini-van.

I had a 1000, was a great bike, but too heavy and cumbersome. The versys is very similar but much more agile, more fun to ride.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM

You could always rent a larger bike for the occasional 2-up trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in