Givi Windshield review - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Windshield review

Since it is getting cold here in MN I thought I would try some better wind protection, hopefully without adding buffeting to the equation. I found a Givi windshield that had a price of $114 shipped so I thought it was worth a shot.

I was somewhat leery of it being louder that my modified stock setup, but was pleasantly surprised. At 5'9'' I just am looking about 3" over the top and mostly ignore it visually. It is quieter that both the stock windshield and also better than no windshield at all. Now I hear the engine more than wind noise. I also notice that if I cruise at what the same loudness was with the stock unit, I will be doing 77-80mph instead of 58-60.

So far it is a winner to me for the price.

My only concern is how long it will last. A friend at work put a Givi on his Burgman and after a trip cruising at 80-85 with strong crosswinds, he has cracks around his mounting holes. Time will tell. A sticker on it warns against exceeding 100 km/h with it in strong winds. I don't know if that is to avoid instability or breakage. Anyone ride of these at speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent375hh View Post
Since it is getting cold here in MN I thought I would try some better wind protection, hopefully without adding buffeting to the equation. I found a Givi windshield that had a price of $114 shipped so I thought it was worth a shot.

I was somewhat leery of it being louder that my modified stock setup, but was pleasantly surprised. At 5'9'' I just am looking about 3" over the top and mostly ignore it visually. It is quieter that both the stock windshield and also better than no windshield at all. Now I hear the engine more than wind noise. I also notice that if I cruise at what the same loudness was with the stock unit, I will be doing 77-80mph instead of 58-60.

So far it is a winner to me for the price.

My only concern is how long it will last. A friend at work put a Givi on his Burgman and after a trip cruising at 80-85 with strong crosswinds, he has cracks around his mounting holes. Time will tell. A sticker on it warns against exceeding 100 km/h with it in strong winds. I don't know if that is to avoid instability or breakage. Anyone ride of these at speed?
If the windshield model you are referring to is the DST104, I have had one for over 2 years now and like it. I take it off on very hot days in summer. I have done around 90 mph without issues. For reference: I am 6'3", 215lbs
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul View Post
If the windshield model you are referring to is the DST104, I have had one for over 2 years now and like it. I take it off on very hot days in summer. I have done around 90 mph without issues. For reference: I am 6'3", 215lbs
Correction: Model should be D410ST

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

D410ST is indeed the one I have. I will assume I can safely cruise at western state speeds. Thanks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Yep, I got one too 2+ years on it. Speed tested to 115 mph. Well at least that's what the speedo said before I chickened out. No problems yet..
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 PM

Just installed my new Zero Gravity smoke windscreen, will go for about a 30 mile ride tomorrow, then give my review.

It sure looks great on the bike, that smoke color fits great with the 2014 green and black bikes.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the D410ST on a 2014 model but only a few thousand miles. So far, so good. I'm also 5'9" tall - and it's worked out well in my case.

Certainly - it's much more quiet than the factory windscreen.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM

I got the same windscreen about 5000 miles ago. No cracks, works great (I've been ~120mph with no issues)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM

I got 20000km on mine, take it through 24hr non-stop challenges. Through a morning on a 50km straight 150kph with lots of moths, and recently through the storm (I was traveling along a 150km-freeway at night when the typhoon arrived), the typhoon was throwing trees along the freeway. I am slow, but the winds are strong. It should lasts you a long long time (be careful about cleaning it though because it easily get scratched).

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:46 PM

As far as I'm concerned the givi windscreen is a required mod. Made the bike far more useful at 50+ mph.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Just remember to use the rubber well nuts, and do not over torque the bolts...

Shouldn't crack!

I love my Givi screen.

Hooligan
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Well I finally took my bike out today with the new Zero Gravity windshield. I have mixed feelings about it but I like it more than I dislike it. It keeps the wind off of my body and the smoke color looks great on the Versys.

The buffeting is a little more than what I was use to with the stock screen. Here is deal with these screens (Givi and Zero Gravity, used them both) they are all make for shorter riders. A guy had the perfect review on one of the parts supplier websites about the Givi and it applies to mine as well. If you are 5'9 or shorter they work great. If you are 5'10 or taller you will get buffeting. I personally do not mind buffeting so much, just feel it is part of riding a motorcycle, there will always be noise. I always use ear plugs when I leave the city anyway.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM

The 410ST is still the best, most beneficial mod I put on my V. If it broke today I would by another one! Smoke looks OK good but I'm so glad I went with a clear windshield. Highly recommended. Btw, if you're riding at those speeds so frequently that it breaks - you probably need to get a sports bike.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
The 410ST is still the best, most beneficial mod I put on my V. If it broke today I would by another one! Smoke looks OK good but I'm so glad I went with a clear windshield. Highly recommended. Btw, if you're riding at those speeds so frequently that it breaks - you probably need to get a sports bike.
Yeah I know what you are saying but it seems with windshields everyone has a different feeling. My brother has the Givi 410ST on his Versys and he hates it while others say it is great.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
While I also have a sport bike, I am not looking to be actually speeding on the V, I just don't want to be limited to the 100 kph (62 mph) that is stated on the warning sticker that is on it. Cruising with traffic in the western US can easily be 20 mph faster than that. I bought my V as a lightweight sport touring rig. While I prefer to be riding 65 on two lane, sometimes you get on the slab and going 65 scares me watching cars close on me in the mirrors.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Well I finally took my bike out today with the new Zero Gravity windshield. I have mixed feelings about it but I like it more than I dislike it. It keeps the wind off of my body and the smoke color looks great on the Versys.

The buffeting is a little more than what I was use to with the stock screen. Here is deal with these screens (Givi and Zero Gravity, used them both) they are all make for shorter riders. A guy had the perfect review on one of the parts supplier websites about the Givi and it applies to mine as well. If you are 5'9 or shorter they work great. If you are 5'10 or taller you will get buffeting. I personally do not mind buffeting so much, just feel it is part of riding a motorcycle, there will always be noise. I always use ear plugs when I leave the city anyway.

I too have the Zero Gravity and I think it looks great on my black 2012. I still get some buffeting as I am 6', though. I am curious about the Givi. Can someone here who has one measure the distance from the cowl slot to the top. Side dimensions would be great too.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM

I should state I am not bad mouthing the Givi or the Zero Gravity. I am liking mine more and more after each ride. They are both a big improvement over the stock ones. I think I was just expecting almost complete silence and wind free rides when I put it on which of course is stupid. Yesterday's ride I hit 100mph passing someone on a country road (have only hit 100 two or three times, not a normal thing) and the windscreen performed great! Another sunny day in Oregon, I will go on another long ride today I am sure. Pics later
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
I too have the Zero Gravity and I think it looks great on my black 2012. I still get some buffeting as I am 6', though. I am curious about the Givi. Can someone here who has one measure the distance from the cowl slot to the top. Side dimensions would be great too.
Givi: Cowl slot to top =18" Width at top =12"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode