Givi Windshield review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Windshield review

Since it is getting cold here in MN I thought I would try some better wind protection, hopefully without adding buffeting to the equation. I found a Givi windshield that had a price of $114 shipped so I thought it was worth a shot.

I was somewhat leery of it being louder that my modified stock setup, but was pleasantly surprised. At 5'9'' I just am looking about 3" over the top and mostly ignore it visually. It is quieter that both the stock windshield and also better than no windshield at all. Now I hear the engine more than wind noise. I also notice that if I cruise at what the same loudness was with the stock unit, I will be doing 77-80mph instead of 58-60.

So far it is a winner to me for the price.

My only concern is how long it will last. A friend at work put a Givi on his Burgman and after a trip cruising at 80-85 with strong crosswinds, he has cracks around his mounting holes. Time will tell. A sticker on it warns against exceeding 100 km/h with it in strong winds. I don't know if that is to avoid instability or breakage. Anyone ride of these at speed?
brent375hh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent375hh View Post
Since it is getting cold here in MN I thought I would try some better wind protection, hopefully without adding buffeting to the equation. I found a Givi windshield that had a price of $114 shipped so I thought it was worth a shot.

I was somewhat leery of it being louder that my modified stock setup, but was pleasantly surprised. At 5'9'' I just am looking about 3" over the top and mostly ignore it visually. It is quieter that both the stock windshield and also better than no windshield at all. Now I hear the engine more than wind noise. I also notice that if I cruise at what the same loudness was with the stock unit, I will be doing 77-80mph instead of 58-60.

So far it is a winner to me for the price.

My only concern is how long it will last. A friend at work put a Givi on his Burgman and after a trip cruising at 80-85 with strong crosswinds, he has cracks around his mounting holes. Time will tell. A sticker on it warns against exceeding 100 km/h with it in strong winds. I don't know if that is to avoid instability or breakage. Anyone ride of these at speed?
If the windshield model you are referring to is the DST104, I have had one for over 2 years now and like it. I take it off on very hot days in summer. I have done around 90 mph without issues. For reference: I am 6'3", 215lbs
rahul is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul View Post
If the windshield model you are referring to is the DST104, I have had one for over 2 years now and like it. I take it off on very hot days in summer. I have done around 90 mph without issues. For reference: I am 6'3", 215lbs
Correction: Model should be D410ST
rahul is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
D410ST is indeed the one I have. I will assume I can safely cruise at western state speeds. Thanks.
brent375hh is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Member
 
Stud Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mantua, New Jersey
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep, I got one too 2+ years on it. Speed tested to 115 mph. Well at least that's what the speedo said before I chickened out. No problems yet..
Stud Muffin is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Member
 
chaofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just installed my new Zero Gravity smoke windscreen, will go for about a 30 mile ride tomorrow, then give my review.

It sure looks great on the bike, that smoke color fits great with the 2014 green and black bikes.
chaofan is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Member
 
kballowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near St. Louis
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the D410ST on a 2014 model but only a few thousand miles. So far, so good. I'm also 5'9" tall - and it's worked out well in my case.

Certainly - it's much more quiet than the factory windscreen.
kballowe is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Member
 
fraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got the same windscreen about 5000 miles ago. No cracks, works great (I've been ~120mph with no issues)
fraz is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Member
 
krispradez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manila
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got 20000km on mine, take it through 24hr non-stop challenges. Through a morning on a 50km straight 150kph with lots of moths, and recently through the storm (I was traveling along a 150km-freeway at night when the typhoon arrived), the typhoon was throwing trees along the freeway. I am slow, but the winds are strong. It should lasts you a long long time (be careful about cleaning it though because it easily get scratched).

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
krispradez is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As far as I'm concerned the givi windscreen is a required mod. Made the bike far more useful at 50+ mph.
skatefriday is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Freerydejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just remember to use the rubber well nuts, and do not over torque the bolts...

Shouldn't crack!

I love my Givi screen.

Hooligan
Freerydejunky is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Member
 
chaofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well I finally took my bike out today with the new Zero Gravity windshield. I have mixed feelings about it but I like it more than I dislike it. It keeps the wind off of my body and the smoke color looks great on the Versys.

The buffeting is a little more than what I was use to with the stock screen. Here is deal with these screens (Givi and Zero Gravity, used them both) they are all make for shorter riders. A guy had the perfect review on one of the parts supplier websites about the Givi and it applies to mine as well. If you are 5'9 or shorter they work great. If you are 5'10 or taller you will get buffeting. I personally do not mind buffeting so much, just feel it is part of riding a motorcycle, there will always be noise. I always use ear plugs when I leave the city anyway.



chaofan is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The 410ST is still the best, most beneficial mod I put on my V. If it broke today I would by another one! Smoke looks OK good but I'm so glad I went with a clear windshield. Highly recommended. Btw, if you're riding at those speeds so frequently that it breaks - you probably need to get a sports bike.
rydbayb is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Member
 
chaofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
The 410ST is still the best, most beneficial mod I put on my V. If it broke today I would by another one! Smoke looks OK good but I'm so glad I went with a clear windshield. Highly recommended. Btw, if you're riding at those speeds so frequently that it breaks - you probably need to get a sports bike.
Yeah I know what you are saying but it seems with windshields everyone has a different feeling. My brother has the Givi 410ST on his Versys and he hates it while others say it is great.
chaofan is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
The 410ST is still the best, most beneficial mod I put on my V. If it broke today I would by another one! Smoke looks OK good but I'm so glad I went with a clear windshield. Highly recommended. Btw, if you're riding at those speeds so frequently that it breaks - you probably need to get a sports bike.
While I also have a sport bike, I am not looking to be actually speeding on the V, I just don't want to be limited to the 100 kph (62 mph) that is stated on the warning sticker that is on it. Cruising with traffic in the western US can easily be 20 mph faster than that. I bought my V as a lightweight sport touring rig. While I prefer to be riding 65 on two lane, sometimes you get on the slab and going 65 scares me watching cars close on me in the mirrors.
brent375hh is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Well I finally took my bike out today with the new Zero Gravity windshield. I have mixed feelings about it but I like it more than I dislike it. It keeps the wind off of my body and the smoke color looks great on the Versys.

The buffeting is a little more than what I was use to with the stock screen. Here is deal with these screens (Givi and Zero Gravity, used them both) they are all make for shorter riders. A guy had the perfect review on one of the parts supplier websites about the Givi and it applies to mine as well. If you are 5'9 or shorter they work great. If you are 5'10 or taller you will get buffeting. I personally do not mind buffeting so much, just feel it is part of riding a motorcycle, there will always be noise. I always use ear plugs when I leave the city anyway.



I too have the Zero Gravity and I think it looks great on my black 2012. I still get some buffeting as I am 6', though. I am curious about the Givi. Can someone here who has one measure the distance from the cowl slot to the top. Side dimensions would be great too.
david3921 is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Member
 
chaofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I should state I am not bad mouthing the Givi or the Zero Gravity. I am liking mine more and more after each ride. They are both a big improvement over the stock ones. I think I was just expecting almost complete silence and wind free rides when I put it on which of course is stupid. Yesterday's ride I hit 100mph passing someone on a country road (have only hit 100 two or three times, not a normal thing) and the windscreen performed great! Another sunny day in Oregon, I will go on another long ride today I am sure. Pics later
chaofan is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
I too have the Zero Gravity and I think it looks great on my black 2012. I still get some buffeting as I am 6', though. I am curious about the Givi. Can someone here who has one measure the distance from the cowl slot to the top. Side dimensions would be great too.
Givi: Cowl slot to top =18" Width at top =12"
brent375hh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome