Picked Up My New 2013 Versys 650 Today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Picked Up My New 2013 Versys 650 Today

I finally picked it up today and really like it. I did not get to test ride it last Saturday because of rain, but it's about what I expected. The bike soaked up all the bumps, pot holes, expansion joints and manhole covers with ease (something my Sportster did not). Unless the seat needs time to break in, that's the first thing I'll be replacing, but I may try the Air Hawk cushion first. This "keep it under 4,000 rpm the first 500 miles" will not work for me. I need to be on the freeway for part of my ride to work and back. I've read on the forum that some say just to ride normally but to take it easy in the lower gears, so I think that's how I'll handle the break-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:40 PM

The seat'a Pain the the A$$ for sure. Look at Seat Concepts for a nice custom seat. I got mine in +1 firmness foam and love it so much I sold the Sargents saddle off my KLR to get a SC kit for it as well.

While I tried to keep it under 4000 as well it ended up around 5000 as like you I was riding in and it was either "Run with the big dogs OR get rundown by them" Keep a eye on the oil level and look out for loose bolts and what not.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Congrats on your new bike. I bought a super low mileage 2010 Versys and love it. I lowered mine to make it fit me better.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:35 PM

Great news! Welcome to the club. I almost got a 2013, what color did you get? The white one? I broke mine in perfectly but this is always a touchy subject with 10 people giving you 10 different ways to break in your bike. I just added 1000rpm to the break in recommendations, so if it says keep it below 4000 I kept it below 5000 but I did do the start and stop thing when riding it home and did not keep it at one rpm for the first 300 miles or so. That is a damn hard thing to do by the way!

It's your bike so do what you feel is best and have fun, you now have a great bike!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Great news! Welcome to the club. I almost got a 2013, what color did you get? The white one? I broke mine in perfectly but this is always a touchy subject with 10 people giving you 10 different ways to break in your bike. I just added 1000rpm to the break in recommendations, so if it says keep it below 4000 I kept it below 5000 but I did do the start and stop thing when riding it home and did not keep it at one rpm for the first 300 miles or so. That is a damn hard thing to do by the way!

It's your bike so do what you feel is best and have fun, you now have a great bike!
Yes. It's the white one. It doesn't have ABS but at a $1000 less than the 2014, I had to go with this one. As far as break-in, even the dealership said to just vary the speeds and ride normal. They didn't say anything about rpm. I did notice the buffeting on my helmet at 55-70 mph range on my way to work this morning. I'll try another position with the wind shield. I don't plan on doing much to the bike: seat, wind shield, heated grips and a dry bag. I purchased the Kawasaki side cases with the bike and they should be here sometime next week. I showed the dealer what it would cost for me to just order the cases through Twisted Throttle and they matched that price minus an extra $50.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:54 AM

Sweet, Congrats on the bike... White is the best color by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike.jpg (70.2 KB, 126 views)

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I did this

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

on both my Vs, and they were "broken-in" during the ride home from the dealer - LESS than 50 miles, and neither burns oil (one at 51,xxx miles, the other at 51,xxx kms).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I did this

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

on both my Vs, and they were "broken-in" during the ride home from the dealer - LESS than 50 miles, and neither burns oil (one at 51,xxx miles, the other at 51,xxx kms).
I've kinda of been laying on the throttle when in 5th or 6th hear and then letting it slow down. Did you also change the oil after you rode it home?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM

I changed my oil at about 350 miles, then again at 1200. Both times it was very clean but I felt better about doing it.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I doubt I'll even have 350 miles on it before I put it up for the winter (usually at the end of October). I might just change the oil then or wait until next year. I've always changed my oil in the spring and have never had any issues. Most of my riding for the rest of this year will just be to work and back. Too much stuff coming up with kid's events, yard work, etc.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I've kinda of been laying on the throttle when in 5th or 6th hear and then letting it slow down. Did you also change the oil after you rode it home?
Yes. Then changed again at 500 miles and at 1,000. Then, at about 4,000 when I went to Mobil 1 car oil - 15w-50. All changes inc. the filter.

On that "break-in" ride I was up to 7 or 8,000 rpms, then slowed on a closed throttle, done many times, just as recommended by Motoman.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I doubt I'll even have 350 miles on it before I put it up for the winter (usually at the end of October). I might just change the oil then or wait until next year. I've always changed my oil in the spring and have never had any issues. Most of my riding for the rest of this year will just be to work and back. Too much stuff coming up with kid's events, yard work, etc.
I'd change the oil before parking the bike. The acids and crap will do the motor no good and come spring you'll be good to go with the fresh oil you dumped in this fall.

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:36 PM

welcome aboard and grats on the new bike

far as break in goes, I'd say just ride it normal, vary rpm, and lots of engine braking when slowing down...the manual recommendations are neither realistic (nor satisfying)

I rode the bike hard initially so I did an oil change at 80mi, another at 500mi, one more at 1,000 then went to synthetic thereafter
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I picked up some regular Kawasaki oil and a filter to do my first oil change before I store the bike for the winter (I'll use their stuff until after the first service at 600 miles). I asked a service tech about eventually going to synthetic oil and he said to stay away from it - only use semi-synthetic if I want to change. Why on earth would he tell me that? It doesn't not make sense.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 04:35 PM

I use Semi-Synthetic in my bikes For no other reasons than it stands up the heat better and the shearing the KLR chews on it with. But a full synthetic is a waste of money as I change my oil every 2,500 to 3,000 miles.

AND if you do a bit of research you'll find almost ALL Synthetic oils are really Semi Synthetic not full synthetic.

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and congrats.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 AM

4400 miles and the seat still sucks ass. Just sayin...
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 AM

I followed Kawi's recommendations for breakin. That must be why the seat still sucks ass.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox

when i do my brake ins i go 1/3 rpm range for the first 30 miles change oil, go 2/3 rpm range to 75-80 miles change oil then thrash that bitch for another 70-80 miles(lotta 2nd and 3rd gear riding and engine braking change oil and filter and ride it like normal.
as for the seat im 1000 miles in and honestly the seat dosnt bug me to much other then the forward pitch that makes your nuts kiss the tank...... but ive had far.far.far.far worse

Last edited by silviefox; 10-09-2014 at 12:43 AM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I had a vacation day today (sunny, 60 degrees, no wind) and I decided to test all of the positions on the stock windshield. None of them worked for me (6'2", 32" inseam). Hardly any difference between the settings. It's the noise that's the problem. I removed the shield and everything was just fine. I'll be leaving it off until I decide what to do. I have a $150 in-store credit at the dealership because they messed up my financing, so I could purchase the Kawasaki Vario Screen or the Tall Screen. Maybe I'll just get the Madstad full kit. I wouldn't mind just not having a windshield, but the bike doesn't look right without it. Does any one know if there's a cosmetic piece that will fill the void on the cowl ? I think it's called a "Nose Shield".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode