Need some help with Versys choice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Need some help with Versys choice

Hi guys! I'm going to buy a motorbike but... If I say the truth... That's the only thing I know for sure. I'll try to explain it: I know exactly what I want, but I'm looking for a bike that fits my needs.

I live in Spain and we have A LOT of old roads, built during Franco's Dictatorship, and nowadays they're almost obsolete... Curves after curves, like a endless snake, they only link up little villages or are "closed" because a motorway make the job.
Well (sorry for the boring history lesson) these roads are my goal. I do need a bike that can deal with mountain roads, lots of curves, sharp bends and, maybe, bad asphalt. Please, don't think things like Kabul... Bad asphalt it's just that: not good. I'm not talking about the moon surface.

Examples? Watch out!

Ronda
http://media.moterus.es/photos/100761/Ronda_025.jpg

Alpujarra

Going back to the subjet... I need a bike near to a Supermoto that can ride well in medium-term motorway travels (you know, about 75-90 mph average travel speed). ¿Is the Versys my bike? Some friends said so, others that I need a ER6 or something like that. Pure supermoto are excluded because I need to travel with the bike... If I were rich I would buy two

THX!

Yo! Non-english speaker, forget my spelling mistakes. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM

If that road in your picture is one you need to ride, then the Versys is the PERFECT bike for your needs.

Here in Wisconsin the temps are o degree right now with 1 1/2 foot of snow. Your picture makes me want to go for a ride.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM

¿Is the Versys my bike?

Sí se puede, amigo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM

at 75 to 90mph average speed a ktm 950-990 adventure sounds like your bike...and lots of insurance. If you meant 75-90 kph, then the Versys would be a good choice.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Ditto to tomla's note!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 PM

If you plan on traveling at 70-80mph on the Versy your ok. If you want 90+mph you can still do it if you gear it properly. I went +1 on front sprocket and -3 on rear. I can run a true 90 mph without problems and it still lifts the front wheel in 1st gear. I use gps for true mileage and my speedo is off -3mph. Top speed 117mph.(gps verified) Good luck on your choice...I love mine.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Yes, the Versys can be the right bike for that. The gearing is a bit short from the factory, it runs a bit more relaxed at high motorway speeds if you use a 16T front (or 43T rear) sprocket. I've done plenty of long days with both the original gearing (15/46) and the taller one (16/46), much longer than you will typically do in Spain (500-700 miles per day) and the bike works just as well on fast motorway sections as it does on the tight and twisty stuff.

I do plenty of rides with friends that have larger touring bikes. At least in the US, where speed is limited by your willingness to risk your license, I find that the Versys is fast enough (it will cruise at 90 if you would like to) and has a definite advantage due to the lower weight and fantastic handling when the roads get tight.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 AM

if you are buying your first bike then depending on your experience I would question if a KTM is the right solution
averaging 70 to 90 MPH is a toughie.. it can be done, but those roads don't look too forgiving if you come into a corner a bit hot.

I don't think you will have any less fun riding those roads on a Versys at lower speeds that trying to average 90 which will require a bigger bike. mind you I reckon riding the Versys there you will have a lower laundry bill

mind you I'd love to know where those roads are.. I wanna go play
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Mmm... In my country the motorway speeds are 60mph or 75mph, it depends of the number of lanes or things like that. But in a real driving situation you will surely need to speed up to 90mph if you wanna overtake fast and secure.

Our motorways are full of radars or stuff like that and our goverment is VERY strict. But even in that situation it's not extrange to see people riding bikes (or driving cars) over 90mph. I don't wanna do that, but I need a little hit when I pass some trucks.

These kind of problems excludes a real supermoto, and I know I can't have all-in-one-bike.

THX for the info guys!

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
if you are buying your first bike then depending on your experience I would question if a KTM is the right solution
averaging 70 to 90 MPH is a toughie.. it can be done, but those roads don't look too forgiving if you come into a corner a bit hot.

I don't think you will have any less fun riding those roads on a Versys at lower speeds that trying to average 90 which will require a bigger bike. mind you I reckon riding the Versys there you will have a lower laundry bill

mind you I'd love to know where those roads are.. I wanna go play
No no no... I want to ride at these speeds on the motorway. My main goal are the curves and old roads, but there you CAN'T go that fast... Well, at least if you want to live a long life ha!

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM

if you are planning going motorway riding at 79..90 the Versys will happily do that, for as long as you can hold the throttle, as it has a larger range that the KTM you will be able to keep up a decent speed for longer and maintain a higher average speed on the motorway

depending on which KTM you are thinking about you may well find the KTYM more uncomfortable to ride

if you plan on doing any off road/dirt type riding then the KTM may well come back in the mix depending on how much you plan (little or none go Versys, some or lots got KTM or antoher off road trailie)

the Versys will I suspect be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, maintain and insure
whether its the 'right' bike for you no on really knows, but I reckon you will get lots of smiles from it. the guy I bought my Versys form took a mates KTM in and ended up being very very reluctant to sell the Versys, he tried lots of times to convince me to buy the KTM instead, after I'd agreed to buy the Versys. he didn't like the KTM

best thing to do if you can is to go out on a test ride of the KTM, Versys and any other contender bikes.. VStrom? then make your mind up what suits you.

Last edited by healdem; 01-13-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: shpellin mistakes
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemento View Post
Alpujarra
To be truely objective about the viability of the Versys on these roads above, a road test is in order, and I humbly volunteer as a test rider.
I have two weeks of vacation. I'll bring a Spanish-English dictionary and a Visa card. When do you want me there? Would someone loan me a V?
Perhaps we should hold an international rally so that all the Vs can be proven to be suitable for these roads?

Peter
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 AM

I can't think of a better choice for what you want to do;
Sporting, mostly road riding, but with a mildly-super-moto style set up, and lots of luggage options for traveling, and camping. Also cheap to buy, and cheap and easy to maintain. That's exactly what sold me on the V. and probably why it was named Motorcycle of the year more than a couple of times.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Keep the history lessons comming, I love when people from other countrys are posting where they ride on this forum.

Welcome!
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM

I think that the V will do 90 no problem.

If you want to AVERAGE 90, you are RACING, not riding with cars.

I would think you would get a 1000 or bigger, but then that is a big, heavy bike that cannot run on dirt roads.

I think the V is more than adequate at any legal or higher than legal sane speed.

For off pavement, it is great and light, and nimble.

the only thing would be to get rid of the stock "bald" tires and put something like the pirrelli mt60 tires front and back. (60% road/ 40% off road)

I loved the tire change.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Hi Elemento,

. if you mention overtaking others on the highway at 90mph/145km per hour, the V sure has enough grunt to do that. (still running 15/46 ratio till my new chain arrives, think the next 15/43 will be better).

If the roads you have are mostly twisters, IMHO, going 15/44 would be a good compromise. The V is a reliable, solid and fun bike.

Sure is nice scenery. Have a good time riding...

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Longest trip I've done on my "V" was Phoenix to Cayucos, California last February. Took me about 11 hours to get there, cruising about 85 mph (that was what was required just to KEEP UP with traffic in CA!). Once there I rode a few really twisty roads w/ my buddy, including up to Carmel, (OBVIOUSLY at less than 85 mph!!!) then returned to Phoenix. At home my GPS said I'd AVERAGED 68 mph for the whole trip, about 1700 miles.
So, MY opinion is that the Versys WILL cruise 90 mph IF that's what you want to do....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Elemento, and welcome!

Quote:
¿Is the Versys my bike? Some friends said so, others that I need a ER6 or something like that.
I agree with everyone, the Versys would be the bike I'd choose if I were going to ride where you are. The ER-6N (naked), ER-6F (with fairings, called the Ninja 650R here in America), and Versys are basically the same bike when you get down to it. All three share the same engine, and many other components. Just one is more of a naked streetbike, one a fully-faired sportbike, and the Versys is more of an upright sport tourer.

Quote:
I need to travel with the bike
Of those bikes that share the same engine, then the Versys is definitely the what you want if you're going to set it up to travel.

Another bike you may be interested in would be the Suzuki V-Strom. Very similar to the Versys in a lot of ways, but it comes in either a 650 or a 1000. If you're looking for a bit more power, the 1000 might be your ticket. The V-strom has a larger 5.8 gallon gas tank and a 19" front wheel.

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM

its very comfortable for long trips ..
er6 is more like half racing... in Versys you seat straight... in Er6 not ..
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I live in Spain and we have A LOT of old roads, built during Franco's Dictatorship, and nowadays they're almost obsolete... Curves after curves, like a endless snake, they only link up little villages ...

Examples? Watch out!

Ronda
http://media.moterus.es/photos/100761/Ronda_025.jpg

Alpujarra

Oh Spain, how I miss thee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
To be truely objective about the viability of the Versys on these roads above, a road test is in order, and I humbly volunteer as a test rider.
I have two weeks of vacation. I'll bring a Spanish-English dictionary and a Visa card. When do you want me there? Would someone loan me a V?
Perhaps we should hold an international rally so that all the Vs can be proven to be suitable for these roads?
+1. Count me in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode