Face Shield Fogging? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Face Shield Fogging?

What do you guys do when you ride in the fog and rain to keep your full face shield from fogging up? I have not been a regular winter rider but I am now. This morning was the first foggy morning and basically had to wipe away fog with my glove the entire 30 mile ride. Any good ideas other than going without a full face helmet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 AM
GDI

So, you're getting fogging on the outside or the inside of the shield? Both?

Generally for fogging on the outside, I just turn my head periodically. The wind causes the small beads of moisture to form larger drops that get blown away.

For fogging on the inside of the shield I use a breathguard for my HJC like this

http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm-acce...eath-guard.htm

That takes care of most of the problem. I might still get a little fogging when I come to a stop, so I'll open the shield a crack to get a little fresh air in. Most of the time I don't need to bother with the breath guard in place. Without a breathguard, I'm constantly opening, adjusting, and closing the shield depending on whether I'm moving, the shield is fogging, my face is freezing, etc.

GDI
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Respro foggy works great. I loved mine but my new helmet won't let me mount it due to the position of some of the air vents.

http://www.aerostich.com/respro-foggy-breathguard.html

If you're not keen on a foggy I've heard good things about 'cat crap'.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3656746

I got some spray on anti-fog at cycle gear but it's has to be applied about every other ride.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
open you shild a notch or if its always a problem drill a small hole near the top of the visor on the sides. i had to do that with a few of my old IV's in winter
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

It was mainly on the outside of shield this morning and was small droplets of water but enough to fog the whole shield. Would rain-x help with this you think?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layduke15 View Post
What do you guys do when you ride in the fog and rain to keep your full face shield from fogging up? I have not been a regular winter rider but I am now. This morning was the first foggy morning and basically had to wipe away fog with my glove the entire 30 mile ride. Any good ideas other than going without a full face helmet?
Firstly, I try to avoid riding in the rain, but the rare times that I got caught in it, I simply wiped it off with the glove, leave a crack so some air will come in. Ironically, just last night I drilled a few holes on my visor (I probably shouldn't have - safety compromise?) and tested it this morning with a few heavy exhales and the fog cleared up rather quickly with the ventilation coming in from outside.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 AM

for the outside use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Finger-Visor-59-105/dp/B006WEJW6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1411489193&sr=1-2&keywords=Finger+Visor+Wiper
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM

IMHO, for the inside nothing beats pinlock.

Cheers
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You need an anti fog insert like a Fog City or Pin Lock insert They are identical from the same company. One uses adhesive, one uses pins on the face shield to attach. If you have a bell helmet, bell makes a dual pane cold weather visor that will never fog.

Anti fog sprays don't really work that well IMO.

Never use RainX on a plastic shield instead use a product designed for plastic like Plexus. RainX will destroy a plastic shield over a short period of time. Most RainX packaging contains a warning not to use on plastic.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-23-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...Would rain-x help with this you think?
I BELIEVE that "Rain-X" will harm your shield, as it's for glass, not plastic.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I BELIEVE that "Rain-X" will harm your shield, as it's for glass, not plastic.
it WILL damage acrylic
has generally proven harmless to polycarbonate
but http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GUMQI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is designed for lenses
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus62 View Post

Cheers
+1

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

What Daedelus said. The only time I've had mine start to fog was when it was about 20 F out and some of the heat/breath made it past that silicone seal to the actual face shield. Good stuff, http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...t_shields.html
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM

I just bear it. Sucks when it's cold, but my commute is generally short. Night fog or mist is the worst. But when that's the case I find that there is so much moisture in the air I can ride with the visor up and never blink

In anything less than 50F I use a face mask under the helmet that covers my mouth. It helps keep some of my dragon breath off the visor

Last edited by oaklandopen; 09-23-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM

Pin Lock rules. Rode in to work in a nasty fog last week and while I had mist on the outside the inside was clear as a bell. I carry a Micro cloth to clean the face shield with anyway so I wrapped it around my glove and a quick wipe as needed and things were clear.

Rain X will cause all kinds of problems on plastic so it's a no no, they even say so. All the Anti fog sprays are a waste of money IMHO.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 PM

Don't know about other shield but Raix-X works fine on Arai. You can also use car wax on the shield. I've heard that Cat Crap (It's a brand, folks) designed to prevent fogging in divers' mask will help with fogging on the inside

Last edited by waltermitty; 09-23-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:35 AM

I use Pinlock for the inside of the visor. RainCoat for the outside

Quote:
Rain-X Rain Repellent should not be used on motorcycle helmets or windshields - taken from the Rain-X website.

Last edited by ghost_; 09-24-2014 at 05:38 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Most warnings are written by lawyers.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 AM

I use Cat Crap. I originally picked some up at an outdoor gear place to use on safety goggles that are always fogging. It works so well, that I've used it on mountain biking glasses and my moto full face shield.
It's a paste and IMO is easier to polish to a film-free coating than Rain-x and such.
All that being said, it's still just a coating that makes it hard for moisture to hold onto the surface. So it will still get overwhelmed when the conditions are really ripe. But then you're just wiping or turning your head every once in awhile when it's really bad instead of all the time.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus62 View Post

Cheers
Agreed. I've done it all, anti fog treatments, breath guard, whatever... Pinlock beats them all, by far. First day with my pinlock I rode home from work, at night, on the highway and it was raining... It was a fantastic, enjoyable, ride, no fog whatsoever, I could see everything! Before that, riding in that conditions had me open the lid a notch, which would let water in and then I'd have water droplets in and out, plus some fog. Not anymore with the pinlock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode