best time to buy a versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
best time to buy a versys

I'm currently bikeless and unable to ride for another month or so due to a crash Aug 31.

I'd like to get another Versys but am wondering:

1) Will 2014 bike prices drop with the release of the redesigned 2015?

2) Why are the majority of the classified ads grossly over priced. For instance most first and second generation bikes are priced over $6K when a brand new 2014 is almost the same price.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-22-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd wait to see what 2015 has to offer.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unless you on set on ABS I would wait 'til winter and by a leftover '12, '13 or '14 at under $6k.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
2) Why are the majority of the classified ads grossly over priced. For instance most first and second generation bikes are priced over $6K when a brand new 2014 is almost the same price.
I think most people are buried in the debt they owe on the MC, most are trying to get payoff. They may have traded and owe far more than the bike is worth. They also have made minimal payments and the depreciation and upside down loan easily outpaced their payments. When you factor in dealer fees and such, I'd say many folks owe that much money and they can't bring themselves to ask less than they owe.

Good luck in your search! Speedy Recovery as well.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 09-23-2014 at 06:23 AM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 AM

Leftovers are best if you want to buy new. I don't necessarily look for the latest and greatest tech when it comes to bikes, since for me motorcycles aren't a necessity
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:36 AM
NYG

Twowheels,
I'm in the Capital District of New York, so not too far away, and most of the first gen Versys are listed much lower than that. they don't come up often as there just aren't that many around, but they usually aren't too expensive. My local Craigslists are Albany and Glens Falls, but the Want Ad Digest is good for our area. I can't imagine western NY being much different than us.
I know this doesn't really address your question for this post, but I think you said you were able to look in NY in your original "crash" post.

Good luck.

Mike

Current ad:http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4686621292.html $3,500 with 3,500 miles.
I am not associated with this bike at all.

Last edited by NYG; 09-26-2014 at 06:37 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I'd wait to see what 2015 has to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I think most people are buried in the debt they owe on the MC, most are trying to get payoff. They may have traded and owe far more than the bike is worth. They also have made minimal payments and the depreciation and upside down loan easily outpaced their payments. When you factor in dealer fees and such, I'd say many folks owe that much money and they can't bring themselves to ask less than they owe.

Hold tight! You might get a sweet deal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
..... since for me motorcycles aren't a necessity
They are to me.

"My name is Smiley, and I'm addicted to motorcycles"

(group) "Hi Smiley, thanks for sharing with us."
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 AM

I'm with you, would not be able to sleep with ought a V in the garage.

In the midwest most used V's are priced below KBB but are not moving. I watch them sit on CL for months.

Best time to buy a bike is December 31, with cash.

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM

I got a leftover 2009 in Sept. 2010 for $4790.00. Now the same shop has 2012's for $7899.00 USD. So much for leftover discounts. If your seeing 2014's for close to $6K CDN, then that's not too bad of a deal relatively speaking.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
If your seeing 2014's for close to $6K CDN, then that's not too bad of a deal relatively speaking.
That is a very good price for new, anywhere. The lowest I see is $6999 (Midland) on Kijiji, and the next lowest is listed at $8611. If OP can get it for that price, I would not wait, it won't sit for long.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
They are to me.

"My name is Smiley, and I'm addicted to motorcycles"

(group) "Hi Smiley, thanks for sharing with us."
My car is my necessary vehicle

I guess my car would be my wife...utilitarian, gets me from point to point without thrill or issue. And a motorcycle (regardless of model) is like the mistress...take her out, throw her around a bit, and always puts a smile on my face while the car stays in the driveway until the next time I need it out of necessity

Wonder what my HD truck would be in that scenario? .....
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 PM

In Canada, you are in a different market, and may not have as many options as in the Lower 48 USA. Just be alert, and look for deals.

In the lower 48 USA, I can say that the best time to buy is when you find a deal. It does not necessarily have to be a leftover. See the link below.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=65722

I've seen others in this price range also.

I often find good deals on things that I purchase, and people are amazed at the deals I find. What they don't realize is the amount of time I spend shopping, looking, researching, and waiting for that right deal to roll along. It's not magic, just diligence and hard work-- to find that special deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm currently bikeless and unable to ride for another month or so due to a crash Aug 31.

I'd like to get another Versys but am wondering:

1) Will 2014 bike prices drop with the release of the redesigned 2015?

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 PM

I originally was going to wait and buy an "older" new Versys but ended up with a 2014.
I got it cheap enough that did not make sense to buy an older one. Got the color I always wanted (the green with black is great) and throw in ABS it was a no brainer!

Also should mention sometimes when you wait the bikes will be gone. Here in Oregon there is not a big surplus of older bikes. I found one 2013 and it ended up having 30 something miles on (obviously was the bike they let everyone test drive) so I spent just a few hundred more and got the 2014. Now the same dealer that had 4 Versys in late August has zero now. Happy I went ahead and bought it when I did. I am sure there are states out there though that have dealers with new and past years Versys but you better check before you chose to wait.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 AM

Appears to be an oversupply of the V in Central Florida with leftovers on floors for months on end. New '14's listed for $5,999 and '13's for $5,499.

Used bikes on Craigslist posted then reposted months later.

Buyers market now. Plus, when the 2015's come out it will be an even bigger buyers market.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

I scored a 2008 for $2199 over the weekend. I watched the price at a dealer come down a grand over about six weeks, it was sitting at a non-Kawasaki dealer, and was an odd duck. Delivery is TODAY.

It's a second bike in the stable for me, so I went on the cheap. Been looking for the right deal since July, and it was worth the wait, end of the season, they were purging all the used bikes.

Looking forward to it. The test drive checked out great. One advantage to shopping at a dealer, many times private parties are not into test drives, I get that.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Not sure why nut asking prices seen to be all over the map but most are on the ridiculously high side.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring...ationFlag=true
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

ya that point right there is why i get my stuff out right and dont let the bank own it..... if i wanna sell it i can and for what ever i want lol
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 AM

"Freerydejunky" just posted a 2008 for sale with lots of goodies. He's in Washington DC but for $2950.00 it may be worth the shipping and customs fees.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked up a 2010 today with 8500km (* 0.6 for miles) today with SW-Motech engine bars and lowering kit installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode