Anyone tried roadsmart 2? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone tried roadsmart 2?

Hey all,

It'll be new tyre time for me and my Versys soon and was wondering if anybody here has good / bad / terrible things to say about Roadsmart II's by Dunlop.

I commute 5 days a week and can usually find time to find twisty roads on my weekends. Shorter conservative jaunts are 2up and anything faster / longer is solo.

Saddens me to say that I doubt you'd consider me an aggressive rider - no knee dragging for me, but like to get to the edge of the tyre on slower corners. I'd still like to take the Versys to the track this summer though - partly for education, and partly for fun.

I Need something that will give me a good $/mile ratio (probably more than absolute grip), so think these guys are the ticket. Found good things about the T30's from bridgestone by a fellow member here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d.php?p=689689

I don't know why I think it, but I've got a feeling I'll get better mileage from the roadsmart II's, which is why I'm leaning that way.

Can anyone offer any feedback on the mileage front?

Many Thanks,
Dave.

PS: Its spring here in sunny Melbourne!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 AM

Garage
Hard to beat Michelin's
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Dave - I now run Metzler Tourance rubber, but before that I tried several sets of Continental ContiMotions, and I was very happy w/ them, getting AT LEAST 10,000 miles from them (running 36F, 42R, and I weigh 200# wearing ATGATT).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:41 PM

I have Roadsmart IIs on my Ninja. My wife has an OEM version on her Honda 500. So far I can't complain about them, good grip and seem to be wearing well. I have pushed them until they are scuffed in to within 1/8" of the edge. The OEM tires on my Versys are slippery by comparison, and they still have 5/8 chicken strips on them. The front has tucked 3 times in the last hundred miles, especially when wet. I have seen so many good reviews of the Michelin PR4s that they will be my next tires.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback

the Michelins keep popping up as solid performers, and I know lots of people are really happy with the mileage they got from the 3's. Maybe I'm coming around, but not sure I'm satisfying the $/mile part of the equation which is a small concern.

Wish I could win the lottery already
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM

I had RoadSmart2's on my SV650. Commuted year round in DC, rain, snow, ice etc. Good tire!

The rear lasted close to 18k!!! And I ride pretty spiritedly, all the time. The front still had another 10k+ to go. (Now granted my SV650 was about 80lbs lighter than the Versys...) The tire was built for heavy large displacement ST bikes. So they last a hell of a long time on little bikes.

RoadSmart 2's needed a bit more warm up time than other ST tires I've ran. I highsided once at about 20mph because the tire was not warm. Cold, there isn't a lot of grip.

Would buy again for a long distance touring bike. But not for all season...

Year round riders have all moved for PR3 or PR4 for good reason.

Hooligan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:00 AM

I have run the stock tires out greasy feeling 5452 miles out of them

Then went to the pr3 front and rear. I got 11623 out of the front , 5393 miles out of the rear, then installed a pr4 in the rear ran it out at 6230 still had tread left when I took it off.

I have installed a matching set of pr 4 and now they are at 5831 and still showing great tread life front and rear, may be able to squeeze out 7000 out of the rear tire. not sure of the front yet.

I was thinking of the dunlops next as I have coupon for 10% refund from dunlop to try there tires.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 PM

I currently have Roadsmart II tires front and rear on the Versys. In fact, I just replaced the rear tire yesterday with another Roadsmart II. I got more than 12,700 miles on this one, by far the best mileage I've gotten yet out of a rear tire on this bike.

It's too bad the outdated Dunlops are mounted on the Versys as stock tires, because they are really the only Dunlops I've had that aren't any good, and it turns a lot of Versys riders against the brand. I'm happy with the RoadSmart IIs. I haven't had the cold-weather issues mentioned above and I ride in all kinds of temperatures.

The OP mentioned a track day. If I were going to take the Versys (or any other bike) to the track, I'd mount Q3s. I like the RoadSmarts, but I love the Q3s, which I have on my sportbike. They're overkill, however, for the way I ride the Versys, which includes a lot of necessary long-distance highway droning.

You can read more about the tires I've used on the Versys here, if you're interested.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
I currently have Roadsmart II tires front and rear on the Versys. In fact, I just replaced the rear tire yesterday with another Roadsmart II.
I haven't had the cold-weather issues mentioned above and I ride in all kinds of temperatures

You can read more about the tires I've used on the Versys ....
hah! Came across your blog/site when searching for information on the Versys. Should have known you were a member here :-)

I ended up getting the Dunlops, 8000km ago. Mixed bag of commuting (~30-40%) and day trips, and gotta say I'm rather liking them. They take my variety of spirited riding very well, including the Omeo Hwy which everybody should ride at some point. They seem to be wearing good too.

One weird thing I've noticed is that I can get to the edge of the rear tyre fine, but the front is still quite a ways away.

Is it a bike setup thing?
tyre profile thing?
or a me thing?

can post pics if anybody is interested.

Still trying to get around to that track day.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Great tire and wears round as a baby's butt: much better than the stock Dunlop's.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 AM

Garage
I replaced the OEM Dunlops with Michelin PR2's. Excellent with good life and brilliant feel and grip. Recommended if you can get them cheap.
Next put on Pirelli Angel GT's. Good life, good grip although I didn't like them as much as the PR2's, they were also noisy on some surfaces.
Next and current is Michelin PR4's. Best of the lot so far, fantastic grip and feedback I'm told they will last even longer than the PR2's. Best tyre I have used and worth every cent.

I have ridden a 2015 V1K for 730 km it has Bridgestone T30's I was very impressed with them as good as the Michelins for grip. No idea of course how long they will last.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
hah! Came across your blog/site when searching for information on the Versys. Should have known you were a member here :-)

I ended up getting the Dunlops, 8000km ago. Mixed bag of commuting (~30-40%) and day trips, and gotta say I'm rather liking them. They take my variety of spirited riding very well, including the Omeo Hwy which everybody should ride at some point. They seem to be wearing good too.

One weird thing I've noticed is that I can get to the edge of the rear tyre fine, but the front is still quite a ways away.
Glad the Dunlops are working for you.

As for the front/rear tire wear, that is true for every street bike I've ever owned with sporty rubber. I always wear the rear to the edge but not the front. It's the profile. It's normal. Even on the track I don't get clear to the edge of a front street tire's tread.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode