No color options for new V? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

No color options for new V?

Seems kinda cruel to me. Absolutely fell head over heels for the green, but do prefer the styling and upgrades for 2010. I could get a new 2009 in green for $5600. What to do? The new rubber rear engine mount is a big selling point for me. I hate vibration!! I have an 08 Concours, and sold a 03 Z1000 to get it. Went from nightmare buzz to none. Will keep my 1400, but must also have a Versys. Are the upgrades, and lack of color choice, worth the extra ching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Dude, 5600 is a steel for a new bike. I have an 09 Green V and i cant really say I feel it vibrates enough to anoy me. Its my first bike though, so maybe i just dont know any better.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM

I have an '09 Green. I was going to hold out for a 10. (the green got me) Thank heavens for that. I too was looking for mechanical improvements. Would I take the rubber mounts? I suppose so, but, I don't really feel the vibes some complain about. I can feel it's a twin and not an in line four but hey, you need to know the engine is running. I would take the green and 5600 bucks over rubber mounts (if needed) any day.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM

If you must buy new, now is the time to get the new one for 5600.

the new ones will go for 7500. i am in NY and the dealers also love to add 600 for shipping and prep.

i have an 08 and i feel no vibration more than any other bike.

i think that as usual, the companies are trying to tease us into getting the latest and greatest at a premium, and the idea of "rubber mounts" seems to be the new buzz words.

ps - do most bikes have rubber engine mounts? i dont think so
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdmam View Post

ps - do most bikes have rubber engine mounts? i dont think so
My 2004 1200r sportster does.But my 08 versys is alot smoother . lol
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM

I have quite a few bikes before versys... I never think the vibration bother me at all...

Then again, I always like a little bit of vibration when I am on the bike... If I like smooth, I will just drive a car.

$5600 is a steal! I paid $6999 OTD for my 09 Green Versys in July 09.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Parallel twins do vibe some but with a little padding in your seat and gel gloves---what vibration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 AM

i paid 5500€ for my V. 09 .. but was lowered ..and was the cheapest bike on market .. but in quiality and reliability very good ..

about vibrations: only my back passangers are feeling vibs in legs ... i dont felly any ..
i stay on my 09 green

Last edited by vampir02; 01-09-2010 at 02:58 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM

I went for a great price on an '09 Versys over the new one. I am not a fan of the new looks, so the higher price was not worth it to me.

I do have to say this Versys is the most buzzy motorcycle I've owned (EX500, Monster 695, SV650S), mostly felt in the hands and feet. Does it bother me? No.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyafrost View Post
I hate vibration!! I have an 08 Concours, and sold a 03 Z1000 to get it. Went from nightmare buzz to none.
Like the 09 Versys, the 03 Z1000 had the engine solid mounted as a stressed member. Both 2010 models how have the upper rear rubber engine mounts. The 03 Z did have rubber mounted aluminum handlebars to help control it's buzzy nature... The tapered (fatbar) aluminum handlebars I installed on the V eliminated any tingling or fuzzy mirror image. With good rigid enduro boots, and the inevitable seat upgrade, vibrations are of no considerable concern. The V's low frequency rumble is actually pleasant...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
I have an 09 Green V and i cant really say I feel it vibrates enough to anoy me.
+1

I think the V is pretty smooth as far as bikes go actually when you're on the highway. At low rpm you can feel it a bit, but not so much when you're at cruising speed.

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM

I've had an ST1300 since 2002. That's a bike that is maligned by some for being too smooth. I've got 53,000 miles on the ST and now 9,000 on my '08 Versys, and I would not call the V a bike with a vibration problem. Not even close. I think the motor is a gem. If it feels rough, it's because you need to downshift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 01-11-2010 at 03:57 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPeople_MoreRobots View Post
+1

I think the V is pretty smooth as far as bikes go actually when you're on the highway. At low rpm you can feel it a bit, but not so much when you're at cruising speed.
.. and there you have it, if you feel vibration you aren't going fast enough
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
...I would not call the V a bike with a vibration problem. Not even close. I think the motor is a gem. If it feels rough, it's because you need to downshift.
Roughness and vibrations aren't necessarily the same thing. Vibrations can, and in the case of the Versys are, tight and buzzy. The Versys doesn't have the same vibrations as a Ducati or as a Harley. I would consider both of those a more rough kind of vibration. Then there's also the lugging, sometimes jerky vibrations associated with riding too slowly in too high of a gear.

I still consider the Versys to have a lot of vibration compared to most other motorcycles I've ridden, but it's not a nuisance.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 AM

Most V's develop a buzzing in the tacko region which is easily fixed with some inner tubing. Just following the pic's on the UK versys forum and that fixs the only real vibration the V has.
I personly felt a bit of vibration around my L) leg and thigh. I also fixed the problem with bits of inner tubing anywere there is plastic touching metal. Problem solved and the bike is as smooth as anything I have ever riden.

Last edited by miker4055; 01-12-2010 at 05:04 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
.. and there you have it, if you feel vibration you aren't going fast enough
Oh you know what I mean.

Its all relative really. Coming off a Ducati, the Versys feels smooth as glass. My throttle hand falls asleep after about 35-40min of straight highway riding on that thing.

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyafrost View Post
Seems kinda cruel to me. Absolutely fell head over heels for the green, but do prefer the styling and upgrades for 2010. I could get a new 2009 in green for $5600. What to do? The new rubber rear engine mount is a big selling point for me. I hate vibration!! I have an 08 Concours, and sold a 03 Z1000 to get it. Went from nightmare buzz to none. Will keep my 1400, but must also have a Versys. Are the upgrades, and lack of color choice, worth the extra ching?

Yeah, the color has been a major sore point for me since the Versys hit US shores. I don't think any of the colors look that great, and Kawasaki doesn't seem to care that much about offering multiple colors. The very first models years in the UK were awesome: Silver with silver wheels, and black with silver wheels were two of the colors offered. While the black-on-black looks 'badass', I would venture that most people looking to buy this type of bike aren't buying it because it's 'badass', but because it's a functional type of bike. Therefore, more traditional colors would be a better bet. Heck, even the Solar Pearl Yellow color that the UK and the Aussie's get is better looking. ABS is another option that we don't get and makes me wonder why. Perhaps it would push the Versys cost too high.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 AM

it may be a more critical assessment of what Kawasaki US thinks it can sell
adding ABS increases the parts & training costs.

it may relfect that K(USA) is not that enamoured of the Versys and perceives its introduction may dilute sales or sales effort on other bikes. The supermoto style is reasonably well established in the UK & Europe, seems less so in the States. jsut as the cruiser market is entrenched in the US, its not really in the UK.

I am surprised at Kawaskaki's approach at marketing the bike, only having 2 or 3 colours per year and chopping and changing the colours as they see fit. however the reality is that black bikes always seem to sell well, better than other colours so it may well be a lowest common denominator if K don't see enough sales or aren't committed enough to the model.

theres more than enough suggestions that the US K dealer network isn't that fussed or motivated to stock the Versys. yes you could argue its chicken and egg if they don't attempt to sell and stock the Versys then they won't sell the Versys.

there is part of me that is gratefull that the Versyss isn't an overwhelmingly popular bike, but I do think lots and lots of peole are missing out on the fuin that is to be had on a Versys. I'd be sad if every little spotty kid rode one, and thank .... that the spotty little kid wants to ride the 600cc race rep 'cos they are all just as good as Rossi
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Garage
Anybody coming from a 2008 or 09 klr that can attest about the difference in vibration between the two bike ?
I just swap my klr for a V but haven't had time to try the V since winter dropped in on us
I would assume that the V is light years ahead from the klr as far as vibs are concerned
Hopefully ...

Another thing
Is it possible to fit that rubber engine mount on earlier model ?
If so, that 5600$ price on a 2009 and a few more buck for the rubber mount would sound nice !

Just a tought

LOP
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Good bike for the money. #55 on the top 100 Euro Bike list. I put Grip Puppies on to help with handlebar vibration on the long rides. They work great. 52 MPH and all the zip and handling you need for a nice price! I did 3000+ miles in 8.5 days last summer. My only complaint was the seat - Its a corbin and is TONS more comfortable than stock, but it gets hard after 500 miles in 1 day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode