Soot stain on exhaust and running without radiator shrouds - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soot stain on exhaust and running without radiator shrouds

I've had my leftover '11 for about ten months and have 2000 miles on it now. The stock exhaust has a black sooty spot just to the rear of the exhaust outlet building up on the can. Almost looks like it is running rich. The bike seems to be running fine but I do not have a reference point. There is the very occasional pop when I blip the throttle at downshift but this is very rare. Is this sooty deposit normal or not?

I also have the radiator shrouds and frame covers off the bike to be painted and I was wondering if it is safe to ride without the shrouds on to help with cooling.

Thanks for any advise you can supply. Love this sight, love this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 AM

Mine had the black on the can as well. I used WD-40 in a rag and cleaned it off once in a while to keep it looking nice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Pop is normal, but not "good". The fuel maps are kinda funny on them. A backfire as you described it is from a lean condition. The soot isn't a problem though. Go stick your finger in the tailpipe of any car, and it will come out sooty. My bike had the same. It's just the way the exhaust is designed. Most tailpipes don't have a shiny piece of metal for the soot to show up on.

2014 Versys ABS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 AM

I get this soot as well. The bike does not take any oil or too much gas. I think this is just the way they are...

Anders B.
Sweden
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Back in the days when gasoline contained lead the exhaust pipe would have a grey color. If the grey was not present but was black or sooty you probably had an oil burner. No so any more. The sooty look is normal. If you use an upper cylinder lubricant like I do (Lucas) it will soot up even more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that makes me feel much better. I kind of wondered about the whole "exhaust exit being on the side of the canister". Good to know WD-40 should take care of it.

Has anyone had experience running bike without radiator shrouds in place? Any overheating issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode