Corbin Seat - How Stable - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Corbin Seat - How Stable

I am getting real close to pulling the trigger on a new Versys, but I can't decide which way to go regarding a Corbin seat. My 10 year old son rides with me every weekend, and I really like having some support behind him. My question is for those that have the Corbin seat with the backrest. How stable is the thing? Is there much flex in it? My other option is to go the rack/top case route, which looks very stable but not as "sexy" as a Corbin. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 PM

I don't have a Corbin seat on my V, but I did have one on my old ZRX, and the fitting for the backrest is very ingenious, I think, and extremely stable and strong. They are expensive, but I think it'll most likely give your kid better support than the trunk.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM

If you've never had a Corbin seat before, be aware that they are extremely hard and do not "break in" after so many miles as some say. I've had one on my ST1300 and my Versys and sold both.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM

I rode a reworked stock seat on my bmw r1150rt, from Va. to wyoming and back and did good, came home put my corbin on and thought my ass would fall off after 400 miles..hard as a rock, some like it...i didnt
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM

zero flex in the seat or backrest and as hard as a ROCK. the pillon part of the seat is only 10 inches long and 9 inches wide , not much room . hope it helps, ride safe

Last edited by bultaco; 01-06-2010 at 08:53 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM

I had one on my previous bike. '95 Triumph Thunderbird. I really liked it but it came with the bike so I didn't actually have to buy it. My wife loved the backrest and it is very stable.
I am having a hard time justifying buying one for the Versys though. I reworked my stock seat and couldn't be happier. I went with the top case route for support for my passenger, though haven't had a chance to test it yet.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 AM

I use the topcase solution. If you get your tail rack from Twisted Throttle, you will have a choice of many different topcases, not just the one listed by Kawasaki. So it's possible to get a 'sexier' looking topcase. Also different sizes.

Just my $.02

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Just a word from a happy Corbin user. My corbin solved my versys seat problem completely. The Corbin is firm, but it does break in some. It provides excellent support for me, and I can ride all day in comfort. YMMV.

As for the pillion, I don't sit there and I don't take passengers. It does look kind of small. You will need to take a look.

As for the backrest, I had one on another bike, and they are okay. Pretty solidly mounted. But a top case with pad will definitely be better.

+1 to the Twisted Throttle suggestion. I have the SW-Motech rack setup with a Givi V46 top case (and E360 side cases). The one or two times I had a passenger, the case provided good support. The SW rack is very very sturdy (more-so than the GIVI IMHO). -- Hank.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
I am getting real close to pulling the trigger on a new Versys, but I can't decide which way to go regarding a Corbin seat. My 10 year old son rides with me every weekend, and I really like having some support behind him. My question is for those that have the Corbin seat with the backrest. How stable is the thing? Is there much flex in it? My other option is to go the rack/top case route, which looks very stable but not as "sexy" as a Corbin. Suggestions?
Here's my "set up". My wife and daughter, who don't ride with me very often, have never complained about the stability of the back rest. It's stable. I really like the Corbin seat, it transformed the Versys for me. I can do 400 + mile days fine now.

The backrest is handy as a support/tie down for an extra bag on the seat for those days you don't have the hard cases or a passenger on, like this:

regards, Bob

Last edited by RPrice; 01-07-2010 at 09:17 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Bob (RPrice),

What is that windshield setup? It looks pretty trick. Thanks -- Hank.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfarber View Post
Bob (RPrice),

What is that windshield setup? It looks pretty trick. Thanks -- Hank.
Hank,
It's the stock windshield mounted on a vario screen (replacing the vario "lip"), see the end of the post below, and there's other info. in this forum. It works really well:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=Vario+Screen

I've had this Mod for about 7k miles, no problems, high speed, bumpy roads, etc..

Take care,

regards, Bob
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Awesome replys and pics. Thanks a million. Now I have even more to think about!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 PM

i did the same mod to my vario...works really well, virtually no buffetting..im 6'2" for reference
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
i did the same mod to my vario...works really well, virtually no buffetting..im 6'2" for reference
Same for me, I'm also 6'2".

regards, Bob
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM

The Kawi US website does not show the vario screen anymore. Is it still available?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
How stable is the thing?
I feel it is very stable. My wife doesnt ride much. Less than a 1000 miles a year. She refuses to ride anything without a backrest. She tells me it is rock solid. She wishes the seating area was bigger for her and the pass pegs lower. But thats a whole nuther issue.

The backrest works well with this T-Bag helmet bag which I use for motel weekend rides.

As far as Corbin seats are too hard? Yes, this one was when it was new. But after 13000 miles it fits my arse quite well. I use a sheepskin on every bike I have owned. It makes a good seat even better.

My arse tells me if a seat is too soft, 1000 mile days are not an option. I need a firm seat for long rides. Bar to bar it doesnt matter. I've ridden a few Harley's (buddies) on short jaunts and I can swear I feel every bolt/rivet in the seatpan. My buds never complain about their seats. My arse must be different.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
The Kawi US website does not show the vario screen anymore. Is it still available?
Check out this link, MRA changed the design considerably, as it is much higher and the lower section less "angular". Looks good!!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4561/652/

regards, Bob
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrice View Post
Check out this link, MRA changed the design considerably, as it is much higher and the lower section less "angular". Looks good!!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4561/652/
I kinda liked the original MRA look, especially at the bottom. And I don't think the mod of using the original versys screen in place of the vario "wing" will work on this new screen.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I kinda liked the original MRA look, especially at the bottom. And I don't think the mod of using the original versys screen in place of the vario "wing" will work on this new screen.
I suspect you are right!!

regards, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode