My Bike on Exhibit - and the replacements.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My Bike on Exhibit - and the replacements..

I'm a photographer, and for the past year and a half, Kawasaki in Indonesia (KMI) has sponsored me. They gave me a Versys and paid for the printing of my latest book, "Travels on Two Wheels, a broader perspective on Bali" which is all panoramas. I also just shot their 2015 calendar.
For all of last week my bike, fully "loaded" was on exhibit in a major international shopping mall, promoting both Kawasaki and the book evidently. For about 3 days they gave me a Ninja 650 with a two brothers exhaust FS to ride. I hated it! Besides the weird handling, the stupid exhaust system set off 3 car alarms on my street one day. My neighbors were suitably unimpressed. I went to the mall and stared at my bike full of nostalgia. Finally they broke down and lent me another 2012 Versys and I was happy as a pig in ****. But I did notice that it was a lot smoother than mine, especially after I got mine back today (man, was it clean hehehe). I have 22K on mine - is it time for a major engine overhaul?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0067.jpg (58.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0072.jpg (70.7 KB, 137 views)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Very cool. I may have to check that book out.
Time for an engine overhaul....? It shouldn't after 22k, but I guess its relative. If your really working that motor it may, but probably just needs a good tune up and some adjustments.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Very cool. I may have to check that book out.
Time for an engine overhaul....? It shouldn't after 22k, but I guess its relative. If your really working that motor it may, but probably just needs a good tune up and some adjustments.
Hi Ian, thanks - not sure if you can find the book where you are, we did a very small run (1000 copies) but I am in negotiation right now with a German publisher, cross fingers we will publish it in Europe next year.

Meanwhile if you want to take a look at some of the images go to my site , to this page http://riohelmi.com/photo-essays/ and click on Travels on Two Wheels (if you run your cursor over the images the titles of the photo essays appear. Should be top far right).

Will talk to the mechanics down at my dealers about a tune up. Funny how you just get used to how a bike performs, even as it slowly changes/goes out of tune. If I hadn't ridden their company versys I would probably not have felt it for a while longer!!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Stunning photos. Just stunning. Art is art.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Shouldn't be anywhere near time for an overhaul.

Valve check, air filter clean, plugs, Oil & filter. Maybe chain and sprockets. You'll probably see a big improvement.

Thanks for the report. Look forward to checking out your site. Seems like i need to get back to Indonesia and do some riding this time.

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT100 View Post

Valve check, air filter clean, plugs, Oil & filter. Maybe chain and sprockets. You'll probably see a big improvement.

Thanks for the report. Look forward to checking out your site. Seems like i need to get back to Indonesia and do some riding this time.
It's a bit crazy with the traffic sometimes, but it's a fantastic country to ride in. I love touring alone or just with a buddy. You meet great people, see beautiful country and eat great food!

Let me know if you come over, we'll see what we can do to set you up with a decent bike!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT100 View Post

Changed the chain, the oil regularly, filter is probably due yes, and I will take closer look at the sprockets. The valve clean I think is also a good idea. Thanks!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Stunning photos. Just stunning. Art is art.
Thank you

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Love the look of your touring bike.... I can set mine up like yours when I'm off on a ride... we're coming into our summer now so can't wait to get back on the tour again... great story you have... well done to you!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:25 AM

Garage
I have 33K plus on mine. No overhaul needed. Standard regular maintenance for it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Wow, Just looked at your site, amazing photographs (I went to school for photography myself). I love the first photo in the aerial essay. Oh and of course the Versys in the print gallery. If I were a richer man I would buy some prints.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode