Question on hard bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Question on hard bags

Hello all, Hoping to get some feedback on the Givi Line of Hard Bags. I am looking at the V35s and the E21s. I like the way the V35s look better from the side but I am not so sure on the look from behind. It sure looks like they stick way out there. While the E21s are not as stylish and priced way lower than the V35s I am not so sure i wouldnt regret not getting the V35s...For those of yall that have these 2 models any info on them would be great...I have searched the forum but I really did not find any personal preference on these bags....Thanks, Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I had E21's on my Versys for about 5,500 miles of riding over about 6 months.

Plus's: top loaders, simple, slim, didn't leak, cheap. Minus's: small (didn't fit any of my riding gear except extra gloves), questionable on the load capacity, and I found the rounded design limited my loading options.

I replaced them with bigger cases and have about 8,000 miles on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM

The 35's make her a wide-ass girl but for me the 21's aren't big enough to meet my needs. One must figure out their own needs and run with it.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM

the V35's are more tailored to the Versys, they look 'right', however there aren't that many fitting kits for other bikes, so you may struggle to transfer the panniers to another bike. its the fitting kit(s) thats the problem, well that and the shape of the inner face.

the E series have other features (e41 has keyless opening, flip lids and so on. they are a generic design, easily transferrable). another (possible) advantage is that you fit the E series rails and then select a size of pannier that suits your needs, as opposed to the one size fits all of the V35.

the v35 can hold 10kg compared to the 5kg of the E21, thats around 10lbs (v35) cf 5lbs(e21). however its very very easy to overload bikes as I guess siyeh proved.

personally I went with the OEM panniers (V35) and rails... works great for me.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 AM

I have the V35 cases and can't imagine anything smaller. For utility reasons bigger cases would be nicer for camping/fishing trips but I have made the V35's work. I also have the 51L top case and a dry bag that gets lashed to the pillion seat. If I had to do it all over, I would still buy the V35 cases.

Jeff
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 AM

V35s have worked great for me! That any the E52 top case and I have plenty of storage. I also like that the mounting kit is mostly out of the way when you take the V35s off. I added the AdMore Lighting signal kit to the V35s so they now have running, brake and turn signals.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM

The E21 work fine for me. Anything else just looks too wide.

When I go camping and need to haul more stuff, I use a MotoFizz seat bag from AeroStich http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-...gs-medium.html
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
however its very very easy to overload bikes as I guess siyeh proved.
Well now, this ugly American would say you guessed wrong good sir. Kawasaki has determined (per owners manual page 28) the weight of rider, passenger, baggage, etc., must NOT exceed 397#. I go 200#. My camping seat bag went 30#. Right side Givi had maybe 15#. Left side Givi was empty. I always start a long ride with one empty bag for stuff one picks up along the way? My Rev-Pak tank bag went maybe 3#. My bike camping gear doubles as my backpacking gear meaning it is lightweight. I take one change of clothes and that's it. I wasn't even close to overloading this bike for my almost 7000 mile ride.

I've been riding motorcycles for 41 of my 51 years on this planet. Do you really think I would start a long ride overloaded? Not trying to be a tough guy on the interwebs hiding behind a keyboard because I am neither. I just dont get your statement Have a nice day good sir.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

When I rode my KLR to the NWT, YT, AK and BC this summer I figure my 'canoe bag' w/ tent, sleeping mat and bag, weighed about 30#, my 2 soft bags weighed about 40# total, my back pack about 25# (including 100 ounces of water). That 85# (or so...) included 3 days grub, cooking gear, clothes, rain-gear, several books to read (HIGHLY recommend "ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE" even if you've read it before!) and a six-pack - 2 beer per day w/ or after dinner. Geared up (ALWAYS ATGATT) I probably weigh 200#, so I had about 300# loaded onto the bike, LESS than 2-up!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Well now, this ugly American would say you guessed wrong good sir. Kawasaki has determined (per owners manual page 28) the weight of rider, passenger, baggage, etc., must NOT exceed 397#. I go 200#. My camping seat bag went 30#. Right side Givi had maybe 15#. Left side Givi was empty. I always start a long ride with one empty bag for stuff one picks up along the way? My Rev-Pak tank bag went maybe 3#. My bike camping gear doubles as my backpacking gear meaning it is lightweight. I take one change of clothes and that's it. I wasn't even close to overloading this bike for my almost 7000 mile ride.

I've been riding motorcycles for 41 of my 51 years on this planet. Do you really think I would start a long ride overloaded? Not trying to be a tough guy on the interwebs hiding behind a keyboard because I am neither. I just dont get your statement Have a nice day good sir.
sorry matey, didn't mean to offend
I think I got carried away.

there is a risk of overloading the bike. if you took it all into account then good on you, I don't think many do. the limits on the luggage are relatively low, especially if someone has a top box/trunk as well as panniers. the risk is not just that the rails can break (it has happened), but more so in altering the balance / CoG.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM

I have the E21's that I use for commuting, and plan to get a Motofizz medium bag for the longer trips. The E21's hold my raingear, tire repair kit, and other miscellaneous items with no problems.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the responses. I am still undecided. Anouther question, can someone that has the V35s tell me the measurement across the bags with them mounted so I can put a tape measure up to my V so I can get a visual.Sure would appreciate it...Whew! This is hard work....lol
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM

All depends on what you want the bags for. Touring get the bigger ones. If short runs around town or no long trips then the 21's work fine. I have the 21's and love the top loading and plenty of room for what i do and keep it narrow. If i were back in my two up or touring days i would want the larger ones. Hey maybe you can get both. They pop off easy and lock and are nice bags.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Would be nice if Givi made a slimmer set that popped onto the V35 (PLX???) mounts!!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
the V35's are more tailored to the Versys, they look 'right', however there aren't that many fitting kits for other bikes, so you may struggle to transfer the panniers to another bike. its the fitting kit(s) thats the problem, well that and the shape of the inner face.

the E series have other features (e41 has keyless opening, flip lids and so on. they are a generic design, easily transferrable). another (possible) advantage is that you fit the E series rails and then select a size of pannier that suits your needs, as opposed to the one size fits all of the V35.

the v35 can hold 10kg compared to the 5kg of the E21, thats around 10lbs (v35) cf 5lbs(e21). however its very very easy to overload bikes as I guess siyeh proved.

personally I went with the OEM panniers (V35) and rails... works great for me.
If I may

10 Kg = 22 #
5 Kg = 11 #

That's all ...
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM

It sounds to me as though you want some carrying capacity but the looks are a big factor for you. The V35's are very wide and I can provide you a measurement tomorrow. They are very stylish especially if you go for the color matched panels. My only disappointment was that they won't hold a full faced helmet. The helmet holder is way too awkward but the bags are too narrow for a full face. Otherwise I love mine.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaniemel View Post
can someone that has the V35s tell me the measurement across the bags with them mounted so I can put a tape measure up to my V so I can get a visual.Sure would appreciate it...Whew! This is hard work....lol
Out to out of bags is about 39 inches. Just to put it in perspective my Goldwing is 35 inches wide.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Where are the mounts available from?
Specifically for the Versys?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

39 inches......HOLY CR_P!! I would have never guessed that. I knew they were wide but not that wide... Guess i will keep looking,not sure the E21s are what I want either.. thanks to all for the responses.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Unless you are lane splitting they aren't that wide. Mountainrider has his on all the time while he is burning up tires!!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode