View Poll Results: Tough decisions here people
Boone NC (poll leader) 14 35.90%
Lewisburg WV (runner up) 17 43.59%
Robbinsville NC (late comments about weather concerns) 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation East Coast Rally Run Off

Ok the only way to do a run off poll is to do new thread so here we go... I did not include the option to go to the ADVriders event as that is an organized event done by other people on another site. Not saying I would not of my own accord register and pay to go to that event I just don't think it is right to jump on their wagon from here. This started out as a Versys Rally (yes non Versys bikes can come) and the point was in my opinion get as many of us as possible together in one place, do some socializing and some riding. Most of us rarely see another V on the road so this will be a good opportunity to ride with other V's and see in person all of the unique mods that we all have done to make our unique bike even more so.

At this point the Location is just splitting hairs and I will just go ahead and say we will do it in mid to late May. (the date will not interfere with the ADVriders event) Below I listed some of the suggested accommodations for each location.

Boone Poll leader by 1
http://www.alleghanyinn.com/
http://www.freebornes.com/
http://www.stationsinn.com/index-a.html
Wild Woody's Campground - 14234 Hwy 18, Laurel Springs, NC 28644 (336) 359-8432, offers tent camping as well as RV and campers for rent on their campground.

Lewisburg WV runner up on poll
http://www.brierinn.com/
http://www.greenbriersf.com/

Robbinsville NC Included due to slightly better average weather
http://www.twowheelinn.com/
http://www.microtelrobbinsville.com/
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650

Last edited by MotoCop; 01-03-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:46 AM

West Virginia is a lot easier to manage distance-wise for any of us thinking of coming from Canada. But maybe I'm the only one, and I'm still just thinking ... Anyway, my vote has been cast.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 AM

im close enough to either WV or NC so either is fine

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 AM

My pick is Lewisburg......ALL great roads, and we have a good "in" in the area !!!!

'15 DL1000
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
West Virginia is a lot easier to manage distance-wise for any of us thinking of coming from Canada. But maybe I'm the only one, and I'm still just thinking ... Anyway, my vote has been cast.
Don't we have to wait until July for the snow to melt in Canada, so you can begin your riding season?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM

West Virginia for me

I like that one simply because it isn't in a place that I ride a lot. Boone isn't far from here, so I'm up there quite a bit. I like the idea of taking the Parkway into Virginia and then hitting the little backroads between Hillsville and Roanoke as I ride towards Lewisburg. So long as I can work it in around the ADV meet, I'll be there.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM

The Greenbrier in WV gets my vote....I have already packed my fly rod:0)
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Lewisburg. "best roads in the country" This I gotta see. For us northern riders, this is also a plus.

Last edited by blipco; 01-04-2010 at 04:30 PM.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up I voted Robbinsville

well for me Lewisburg will probably be a no go. I can make Robbinsville or even Boone in a one day ride, But I beleive WV will be a 2 day ride one way I just don't think I want to start off a fun weekend with a (realistically)14 hour ride if I were to do it in one day. And not sure I want to spend 4 days of a weekend on the interstate for Lewisburg.

If Robbinsville Meet Fla-V and any other Florida riders that want to ride in a group in Lake City and leave by 0800 take I-75 to just north of Atlanta then the back roads the rest of the way roughly 450 miles and 8 hours (google maps drive time) realistically with a stop for lunch we would roll into town 4pm

If Boone again meet Fla-V and any other Florida riders in Jacksonville area and leave by 0800 take I-95 north and stay mostly to Interstate roughly 480 miles and 8 hours (google maps drive time) again same as above estimated arrival 4pm

Lewisburg is 640 miles and 10 hours from Jacksonville I imagine would have to stop in Charlotte to overnight and cover the last 250 miles on the following day.

ALSO I for example have to leave my place at 0500 and add 3 hours just to get to the meeting point to leave so I would actually cover an additional 200 miles on top of the above times

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCop View Post
well for me Lewisburg will probably be a no go. I can make Robbinsville or even Boone in a one day ride, But I beleive WV will be a 2 day ride one way I just don't think I want to start off a fun weekend with a (realistically)14 hour ride if I were to do it in one day. And not sure I want to spend 4 days of a weekend on the interstate for Lewisburg.

If Robbinsville Meet Fla-V and any other Florida riders that want to ride in a group in Lake City and leave by 0800 take I-75 to just north of Atlanta then the back roads the rest of the way roughly 450 miles and 8 hours (google maps drive time) realistically with a stop for lunch we would roll into town 4pm

If Boone again meet Fla-V and any other Florida riders in Jacksonville area and leave by 0800 take I-95 north and stay mostly to Interstate roughly 480 miles and 8 hours (google maps drive time) again same as above estimated arrival 4pm

Lewisburg is 640 miles and 10 hours from Jacksonville I imagine would have to stop in Charlotte to overnight and cover the last 250 miles on the following day.

ALSO I for example have to leave my place at 0500 and add 3 hours just to get to the meeting point to leave so I would actually cover an additional 200 miles on top of the above times
You've got a good point.........I'm ok with Robbinsville also.

'15 DL1000
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 PM

I voted Boone,main reason..I am already attending a rally in Lewisburg in June

AMA EAA STN
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM

So which ever destination is chosen this will be a 3 day thing? Arrive Friday and leave Sunday morn? Or Leave Thursday which might be good too. But I will need to head back Sunday morn.
Robbinsville gets my vote.
Late May is a holiday weekend, might be tough getting rooms then, also the traffic might be unbearable.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM

if you do go..maybe we could meet up..since im in roanoke
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 AM

Coming from Pgh,PA WV is better for me. I'll have my Fly stuff also. The Sulfurs will be popping at that time.

Jeff
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM

I voted for WV, and I propose May 22-25 as the dates. It's after the ADV rally, and before the mobs of Memorial Day.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 PM

whats going on with the decision about this meet?
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Hello all, I have been up in Michigan the last month relearning how to shovel snow. Anyway, I have been following this thread to see where the rally might land and willing to attend anywhere it might be as it will be a roughly two day trip from S. Fla. where ever it lands. The location dialog seems to have stalled due to lack of consensus. If nothing else it demonstrates that Versys riders are an independent bunch.

post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr302 View Post
Hello all, I have been up in Michigan the last month relearning how to shovel snow. Anyway, I have been following this thread to see where the rally might land and willing to attend anywhere it might be as it will be a roughly two day trip from S. Fla. where ever it lands. The location dialog seems to have stalled due to lack of consensus. If nothing else it demonstrates that Versys riders are an independent bunch.
I agree there is a hick up in the pace While but I don't doubt there is any lack of interest in going Just looks like there is just no one willing to say this is where we are going... based on the poll looks like Lewisburg is the place but I doubt I will Go to WV so I would not be a good choice to make that decision at this point looks like I will be either going to another rally in NC or just doing my own thing with one or two other V's and go camping someplace in the GA/TN/NC corners area (independence I guess)

2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 PM

Here's a suggestion.....

seems as though the V riders from the north or west prefer a west Va. destination for the rally, and the southern riders..Fla, Ga, etc. prefer a North Carolina place to meet, all based on distance we all have to travel... might i suggest a Va. point to meet? its just a short additional ride for either departure points. The Peaks of Otter right on the parkway is a great spot, they have their own hotel, reservations wouldn't be a problem for a large group and the riding in that area is great, your close to Natural Bridge, the Pink Cadillac diner, and bedford, For those of you who appreciate WWII history you have the Bedford war memorial. also of course you have Smith Mountain Lake. just to name a few points of interest....I live in Roanoke Va. so i know the area well....just a thought
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
seems as though the V riders from the north or west prefer a west Va. destination for the rally, and the southern riders..Fla, Ga, etc. prefer a North Carolina place to meet, all based on distance we all have to travel
Just pick one of the two.
Then next year we will pick the other location closer to the States that have to travel further to get to the Meet this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode