Versys reliability - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys reliability

I am considering buying a new versys, the only problem is, they are so new, it is to early to hear about any common problems the bike may have! they have an engine compairable to the ninja 650, are they any good? what is the maintainence schedual like? if anyone could help me out that would be great! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM

It's been out for a couple of years in Europe and I have yet to read of any catastrophic failure from anyone. I have not heard of anything terrible happening to 650 R's either.

My bike is too new to report anything but with all my bikes (except the supermoto) I do the basic 500 mile service with the dealer and then I change my own oil and check things every 1200 miles or so.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

what does the 500 mile checkup consist of? is it pretty comfortable to ride? how would you rate it compaired to others youve owned? sorry for so many questions!!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 PM

500 mile service is usually just an oil change and a basic check up of systems and making sure nothing has been rattled loose.

I'm a short guy at 5'7" and find the bike to be extremely comfortable and I have to say of all the bikes I've owned, I actually would say this (in the short time I've had it) has been the best of them.

As I said, I came off a BMW 650 and the BMW had some good points but everything I wish the BMW was the Versys fits right in. It doesn't have the power of my '05 ZX6R but it doesn't lack in power anywhere and it handles amazingly well. It feels like my Gas Gas Supermoto but slightly heavier (not bad heavy, but you can definitely tell a difference).

All in all, It's got a great balance and I wouldn't trade it for any bike out there right now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM

I have 6,000 miles with no problems. As others have said, it's been out in other countries for a few model years. Also, Kawasaki is now powering a whole family of bikes with this engine, so they appear quite devoted to it. All this to say I would have no qualms about reliability. I felt a little ripped off by the 500 mile service. Since I do all my own maintenance, it felt like at $120 oil change to me....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM

I put over 12,000 miles on my V this Summer with no mechanical problems at all. I put over 700 miles on it in one day this Summer. I basically rode the bike from 9 am until 2 am. I went from the very top of PA down to VA and back. I stopped for gas, food, and took in some sights. I drove it 75 to 80 on the highway.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A 'Kawette' french forum member is now at over 80000 Kms (49709 miles) with his ER-6f, which is said to be still running strong. His engine took 1/4 liter of Castrol synthetic "Power1 Racing" 10w50 between last oil changes at 60000 and 72000 kms. No oil accumulates in pickup hose at base of airbox by the crankcase vent. No coolant loss, no leaks or any problems whatsoever.

A couple of Ninja 650R owners in their forum are at over 40000 miles as well. The highest mileage reported in UK's Versys forum was 56400 Kms (35045 miles) as of August 11, 2008.

Last edited by invader; 11-17-2008 at 11:19 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 AM

What the difference between a 650r and an er-6f?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTypeB View Post
What the difference between a 650r and an er-6f?
Nothing that I know of... the 650r is just the American calls letters for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM

also... and sorry for double posting but...
I've put ver 6k miles on my V since July and have not had any reliability issues thus far. I would trust this bike to take me damn near anywhere!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in