Bridgestone T30 mileage report - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bridgestone T30 mileage report

I just replaced my first set of Bridgestone T30s and I thought Iíd report on the mileage I got from them; especially compared to the other tires Iíve had on my Versys. Since these tires only became available earlier this year, Iím assuming not too many of you have worn out a set yet.

The front tire, mounted in February, got to about 7300 miles. The rear tire, mounted in March, got to about 6800 miles. Most of my riding is done on twisty roads in my local area, with occasional multi-hundred mile trips. I donít recall riding on these tires in the rain, so I canít comment on that aspect of performance. Rainís been pretty scarce in these parts lately.

I generally run my tires until the wear bars are more or less flush with the rest of the tread on the rear. Fronts are a harder call as they mostly wear on the sides.

Getting over 6500 miles on a rear is extraordinary for me. I am very pleased with the mileage from the T30s, especially at their price-point.

Other tires Iíve used and (rear tire) mileage Iíve gotten from them:

Shinko Ravens (3 sets) - worst about 4000, best about 5500
Bridgestone BT021 (1 set) - about 4800
Bridgestone BT023 (2 sets) - about 5,000 and about 7600 (cross country trip)
Conti Motion (1) - about 3500
Pirelli Anget GT (1 set) - about 5600
Michelin PR3 (1) - about 3600 (!)

Yes, including the OEM tire, I am on my 12th rear tire!

So the T30s have given me the best mileage performance under ďnormalĒ conditions. Our 2up cross country trip was especially easy on tires as there is less acceleration and braking when travelling long distances.

I have found that all of the above tires have very good feel and handling in my opinion. None of them did anything weird and all worked well with the Versys. In all cases, the crispness of the handling fell off in the end of their life. New tires are much better than old tires!

So it works out that the T30s are the lowest price per mile of anything Iíve used. The replacement set I just bought from American Motorcycle Tire was $210.xx to my door. It seems like a premium tire at a relatively modest price.

Of course, your mileage may vary...a lot. But the above tires were all ridden by me under similar conditions to get the results I got, which should make for valid tire-to-tire comparisons.

I hope this helps someone in their tire selection.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:33 AM

Garage
Thanks for sharing. A great report & a great help.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Cheers thanks for that, got on average 8000km per rear tyre or 5000 miles, this includes stock, strada, ,angels, and 9000 to 10000km on a couple of changes on BT023s, at this stage I running 023s on both my bikes and happy with them, ninjan1000 has already on its 2nd 023 but may look at T30 next change

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 AM

good report thanks for that.
I am having a set of Metzler Z8's installed in two days but the T30's were given a very good rating in the Motorrad test which I have added the link. They tied them for second with the Z8's which is pretty good. The Motorrad test is highly regarded by most to be very accurate and unbiased.
I have had PR3's and PR4"s (current) which have both been good initially but I am not too happy about how they get the squaring off after not too long (6-7000 kms).
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ne...-touring-tyre/

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Next go around try out Dunlop RoadSmart 2. I put 18k on a set on my SV650. The front still had 10k to go.

I don't know if I can believe your numbers. 3600 miles on a set of PR3s?! I have put 5k on my Shinko 705 dual sport tire that's on my Versys right now... And it still has 1.5-2k left in it. And I ride hard, every day.

Hooligan
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Next go around try out Dunlop RoadSmart 2. I put 18k on a set on my SV650. The front still had 10k to go.

I don't know if I can believe your numbers. 3600 miles on a set of PR3s?! I have put 5k on my Shinko 705 dual sport tire that's on my Versys right now... And it still has 1.5-2k left in it. And I ride hard, every day.
I was very surprised/disappointed by the PR3 performance. I ran only a rear (not a set) combined with the Pirelli on front. It is the only rear street tire I have had that wore out on the sides instead of the middle. The sides were so torn up that I felt it was unsafe to ride on. Under different riding conditions, I'm sure it would have lasted much longer. My buddy (R1200GS) swears by them! I don't think my experience with the PR3 was normal.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
I was very surprised/disappointed by the PR3 performance. I ran only a rear (not a set) combined with the Pirelli on front. It is the only rear street tire I have had that wore out on the sides instead of the middle. The sides were so torn up that I felt it was unsafe to ride on. Under different riding conditions, I'm sure it would have lasted much longer. My buddy (R1200GS) swears by them! I don't think my experience with the PR3 was normal.
I definitely got much more out of my PR3s, maybe closer to 9000 miles? I don't remember exactly, but I'm on my 3rd rear tire at about 24000 miles.

I've got the T30s on front and rear right now and have probably over 3500 miles on them. Still plenty of life left in the rear for sure.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post

The front tire, mounted in February, got to about 7300 miles. The rear tire, mounted in March, got to about 6800 miles. Most of my riding is done on twisty roads in my local area, with occasional multi-hundred mile trips. I donít recall riding on these tires in the rain, so I canít comment on that aspect of performance. Rainís been pretty scarce in these parts lately.
Rain has definitely been scarce... Not many Versys around this area are there? Thanks for the great report. I'm definitely going to check into these tires.

2014 Versys ABS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info. My rear stock Dunlop is toast after 2800 miles and the front is getting to the wear bars too. How many miles did you get out of your stock tires?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post

Thanks Junky...I have been looking at those "new" 'Stones....

Tire "numbers" vary wildly!
Kind of like MPG "numbers," and chain/sprockets "numbers."
Add in the "internet thing," and you've got a fourth-dimension....

Your "numbers" sort of add up to me. My front sides wear out first too.
That (old picture below) is a 009 Raven with just short of 7K on it.
#getseverylastmile
I have got similar #'s from Conti Motions.
The BT 023 is the best I have run...almost like a full "sport tire" grip, but I got about 8.5K out of that set.
For whatever reason, I usually just go to the 009's when it comes time to shop and pay up.
That's why I am interested in the T 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140211_151456_088.jpg (55.4 KB, 505 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Thanks for the info. My rear stock Dunlop is toast after 2800 miles and the front is getting to the wear bars too. How many miles did you get out of your stock tires?
I bought the bike used with 8600 miles on it. What I presume was the original Dunlop went over 10K miles, but that was mostly in someone else's hands (commuting in Las Vegas).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode